3m bristle disc

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

3m bristle disc

Post by ericjon262 »

I was working on cleaning up the 2500 HD chassis for the suburban body swap, and I needed to strip some of the undercoating I found these worked really well, for stripping the undercoating without gumming up, or removing base metal.

There're kinda expensive, but they seemed to work really well, I haven't tried any of the knock off brands yet, so the cheaper versions may be good enough to buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Bri ... GC8A&psc=1
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
zok15

Re: 3m bristle disc

Post by zok15 »

I use the white version of these to clean the block on the cylinder head mating surface. They are less abrasive, I’ve done several blocks with them and never had an issue. Good product, I should get some of what you posted and try them out for other stuff, I’ve only ever used them on engine blocks.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

zok15 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:04 am I use the white version of these to clean the block on the cylinder head mating surface. They are less abrasive, I’ve done several blocks with them and never had an issue. Good product, I should get some of what you posted and try them out for other stuff, I’ve only ever used them on engine blocks.
don't use the green or yellow ones on critical mating surfaces, they can dig in on cast iron. I've seen the white discs, but never used one.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
zok15

Post by zok15 »

The white is intended for aluminum, and it does a really good job of not removing metal from the surface while doing an excellent job of cleaning anything off the surface. Works amazing on a cast iron block, pretty much no chance you will remove material accidentally. If you use a lot of force on aluminum it may remove a tiny bit of material, but with light pressure it will clean it up no problem. I stuff all ports in the head or block with shop towels to prevent any bristle material from getting in, then vacuum everything before removing the shop towels when finished. I have done several Subaru motors with these discs and never had any head gasket issues, and those are notorious for head gasket issues.