time/effort saving tools

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

ericjon262

time/effort saving tools

Post by ericjon262 »

a while back I said I was going to post results of how well my ultra sonic sink worked, so I figured I would start a thread for tools we think are worth mentioning for there time, or labor saving advantages.

I put this piston in the sink yesterday, the temperature of the sink was 18 C. I set the sink to 60 C, put the piston in, and started the transducers. The transducers run on a timer, and run for up to 30 minutes.

I left it there for about 3 hours, I'm not sure how hot it got, but when I took the following pictures, the heaters had turned off (I guess they're on a timer... bummer) but with minimal effort, I would call this a huge win.

Now, this is actually the second sink I have owned, the first, the heaters didn't time out, which was desirable to me, because I don't think the sink even gets up to temperature by the time they turn off. my other sink, which stopped working after it got rained on, did not have timers on the heater, only the transducer.

here was the first sink I bought, without the timers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HB ... UTF8&psc=1

here is the second.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ23WKV?re ... tails&th=1

in both sinks, I have used this solution with excellent results.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Solut ... 6KR3Z&th=1
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
SappySE107

Re: time/effort saving tools

Post by SappySE107 »

Can you fit a cylinder head in one of those?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

SappySE107 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:53 am Can you fit a cylinder head in one of those?
Tank dimensions are 19.7x11.8x7.9 (500x300x200)

All the "consumer grade" 30L units come out of the same factory in China... the only differences I've seen across Amazon and eBay are the quality of the drain valve and the artwork on the control panel.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

SappySE107 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:53 am Can you fit a cylinder head in one of those?
A 60v6 head does fit.

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:54 pm
Tank dimensions are 19.7x11.8x7.9 (500x300x200)

All the "consumer grade" 30L units come out of the same factory in China... the only differences I've seen across Amazon and eBay are the quality of the drain valve and the artwork on the control panel.

So, I can say that the two I have, are very similar, but not exactly the same, the controllers don't operate the same. One has a timer on the heaters, one does not.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I don't know the particulars of the controller until/unless I take it apart, but the stampings look all the same, and the control layout is either identical or some have a button or two added that other don't have, but are otherwise the same.

Does the timer function derive from populating the same circuit card differently?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:11 pm I don't know the particulars of the controller until/unless I take it apart, but the stampings look all the same, and the control layout is either identical or some have a button or two added that other don't have, but are otherwise the same.

Does the timer function derive from populating the same circuit card differently?
That was actually one of my thoughts, different configuration of the same parts. Hopefully I can find something when I take apart the broken one.
SappySE107

Post by SappySE107 »

ericjon262 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:34 pm
A 60v6 head does fit.
Nice, id like to know how it does on the coolant passages.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

here are some shots of two 60v6 heads, both had about the same amount of grime before going in the sink.

I'm not sure if it's the solution, or the ultra sonic action, but it eats carbon up.

it doesn't really get into the cooling passages well. but that could be the solution I used.

Sediment falls out of solution and tends to make the tank messier. I'm probably going to install a "kidney loop" with a heater, to filter out the sediment, and once I get my other sink working, operate a "clean sink" and a "dirty sink"

BTW, the old sink that broke, has a bad fuse, I'm going to see about installing a replacement, unfortunately, they're soldered to the board and not easily replaced.
SappySE107

Post by SappySE107 »

Not bad:) I was hoping it would get the coolant out of the passages as well but maybe more time would do it. Some cleaners def work better on carbon than others.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

SappySE107 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:46 pm Not bad:) I was hoping it would get the coolant out of the passages as well but maybe more time would do it. Some cleaners def work better on carbon than others.
Maybe Eric needs a "coolant cleaning tank" and a "carbon cleaning tank" instead of "dirty" and "clean".
SappySE107

Post by SappySE107 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:43 am
SappySE107 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:46 pm Not bad:) I was hoping it would get the coolant out of the passages as well but maybe more time would do it. Some cleaners def work better on carbon than others.
Maybe Eric needs a "coolant cleaning tank" and a "carbon cleaning tank" instead of "dirty" and "clean".
You should talk to Eric about that, not me.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Might not be a bad idea, or I should take notes on which cleaning solutions are effective, and what they are effective on, and maybe find one that works great for both.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

in an effort to become more organized, I've been putting bolts from my "bolt bucket" in the sink to try and clean them up, and I bought a organizer to put the bolts in once their clean. I noticed the solution is really dirty, and if anything sits in the solution, a thin film of dirt accumulates on top. I bought a small transfer pump from Horrible Freight, and am going to implement a kidney loop and see if I can keep the solution cleaner, longer.