really dude?

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

ericjon262

really dude?

Post by ericjon262 »

another car? %)

it's time I actually start documenting this one a bit... For a while, I've had an 87 Firebird sitting in the back yard, a while being a year plus. over that time, I've been casually eyeing it up, and trying to come up with a plan, but placing no priority on it whatsoever.

this is the, as purchased car.

it doesn't look like much, and it's really not, the only fun option is the V8, and it's the lamer V8 option, a carbureted LG4 305, but apparently, that's the best LG4 to get, as it had the best heads a non-vortec 305 got, and a roller cam.

I paid 1700 for it, with extra wheels, and a few new parts, and in reality, aside from a couple of dents here and there, and a misaligned decklid(almost all of them are) it's very straight and complete, but unfortunately, didn't run or drive, and the previous owner removed the fuel tank...

The other day, I decided it would be nice if it at least ran, that way, if I decided to sell it, it would be at least easier to get on a trailer or something. when I bought it, I tried starting it by dumping a little gas down the carb, it wouldn't' even cough, and I didn't try anything else, it just say there for a year or so. knowing that, the other day I threw a distributor in it, dumped fuel again, and it coughed to life for the first time in at least a couple years. since the previous owner bought a fuel tank, and had removed the old one, today I installed the new tank, and put a sending unit and pump in it.

The biggest issue on the body of the car, is this dent, that's right at the top of the B pillar, where it transitions over the roof, it had been driving me crazy since I bought the car, because it was otherwise very straight. my first thought, was to pull the headliner, and try and push the dent out from inside, unfortunately, the seatbelt brackets block the dent, along with some of the internal roof structure, so I used it as an excuse to pick up a new tool, a stud gun from horrible freight.

The primer really hides the issues with the bodywork, it's far from perfect, but the stud gun allowed me to get the B piller straight, and most of the roof to within a range that's reasonable for body filler. as far as body work goes, I'm not real set on making this car perfect, or even a 20 ft car at the moment. I'll put some paint on the roof where I've worked on it, and call it good for the time being.

at this point, I need to wrap up the tank install, by connecting the fuel lines, unfortunately, the new sender has a fitting that I don't have, so it will have to wait until summit can get me the right one on monday, when that happens, I'll wrap up the tank install, and hopefully be able to test drive it and see what i'm working with.

plans? well, we'll see, if I keep it, I have an aluminum Gen III 5.3, and a T5 in the garage, I might put them in, make for a fun beater, I also have some parts that aren't exactly not for it, I have a trailblazer front diff, and I've seriously considered trying to make an AWD 3rd gen, but for the time being, it will mostly be yard art.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Re: really dude?

Post by ericjon262 »

I installed a new fuel tank, it came with the car. so it made sense to use it instead of trying to swap to a 4th gen tank, I however, did not have a sending unit. being that I want to eventually make the car EFI, I elected to put a sender in that has provisions for a fuel pump. little did I know the stock LG4 has both a block mounted mechanical pump, and an electric pump. the electric pump in my old tank was shot, so I put a regular EFI pump in , and am going to install a block off plate and fuel pressure regulator in place of the mechanical pump. 

I made the block off plate, and enlarged the holes in the Holley FPR bracket so that it could use two of the block off plate bolt holes, and mount right where the pump was. 

in the mill

block off plate

FPR with enlarged bracket holes

FPR on the block off plate

I'll try and get it all installed on Monday when I get off work. The flare fittings are basically AN fittings, I'm only using them because they were free, otherwise, i would probably just hose clamp the them with barb fittings. 
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I installed the regulator before going into work monday, I was disappointed, but not surprised when the rear most fitting tried to occupy the same space as the engine mount. I kinda thought that might be a problem, but didn't adequately prepare for it. last night I made a little block to space it forward 7/8".

I did get the car put back together and take it for a short drive, it's absurdly loud, it's stupid slow, but, it runs and shifts through all the gears, and it stops. I did find that the water pump is leaking from the weep hole, so I'll throw a new one on. the car also desperately needs tires, but for now, it will sit as it until I get the house finished up. I can't find tires that fit cheap enough to justify it for a car I'm not driving. I also desperately need a muffler for the car, the previous owner cut the exhaust off, and the cat out, so it's ridiculously loud. nothing like letting all the neighbors know you have 165 hp with a smogged out 305... I'm hoping I can snag a stock one from the junkyard to put on it and quiet it down.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Water pump is off, I have a serpentine belt drive kit for a smallblock, so I figured there's no time like the present to put it on, it will require me to adjust the harness a little bit, but I'm ok with that, I need to make a couple of wiring repairs anyways.

Because the previous owner removed the AIR pump and cat, and I don't have parts to go back on to replace them, I went ahead and removed the tubes for the AIR system, to clean things up a bit

with the water pump off, I decided to flush the block out a bit... ew.

The Pig's 350 was similar when I rinsed it, so I'm not overly worried about it, what I would like to do, is fill it with water, run it, and dump it a few times and try and get some of the corrosion products out before I throw some 50/50 in and call it good. if the block drains were easier to get to, I would try and flood water in through them, but they're kinda a PITA, so I'm not going to. Depending on how things go, I'm considering taking the TBI setup off the pig and putting it on this car, but I need to button up the L31 for it before I can do that. it would be nice to have EFI and not the weird computer controlled carb.