XLR Governor

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

eHoward
Banned

XLR Governor

Post by eHoward »

Apparently the XLR has a cut off at 150 MPH and my boss wants to go faster like corvettes do.

I know we have some N* freaks here. Anyone have any ideas?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

That's a way different beast than anything that goes into a Fiero.

Too bad Cadillac isn't like AMG...

I guess theoretically he could swap the 5L60E for a Corvette T56 and convert to CHRF's $3000 Magnetti Marelli engine management for the VVT Northstars.

If he likes the auto, there might be an aftermarket controller that could handle the 5L60E... I don't think the Magnetti Marelli can do that, but I might be wrong...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I was thinking something along the lines of reprogramming the stock ECM.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I know...
I don't think a GM Tech II can do anything like that, but I'm not sure. I've heard that it's possible to use a Tech II to build an OBDII program for a manual trans L67, but since the unit costs ~$2000, I haven't had the opportunity to play with one. Who knows... it might have the capability of disabling the speed limiter or increasing it to something the car will never reach (like 256 mph).
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Yep give it a few months and there will be an aftermarket controller that will eliminate the speed gov and prob raise the redline and all taht other stuff too.

Just like when OBD2 first came out everyone was wondering how people were going to change things. Not long after that Hypertech and a few other places came out with reprogrammers.

Give it a few months and there will be something I am sure.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It's nothing more complicated than computer code, but the aftermarket just isn't there yet.

The CTS-V and GTO aftermarkets picked up quickly because those cars are basically bigger, heavier Camaros and Firebirds and the aftermarket was already in place... kinda like the EVO relative to DSM's...

The aftermarket for Caddy's in general has never been very big... maybe the new fast Caddy's will fix that.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

You are right. And if we are all lucky someone will decide to start hopping up old 4.9 motors of the early 90's. unlimited potential there.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312