FFP UD Pulley on a 94-95 3.4 DOHC

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

FFP UD Pulley on a 94-95 3.4 DOHC

Post by Aaron »

FFP's website lists the underdrive pulley that they sell for 1991-1993 only (http://www.fastfwdperformance.com).

Anyways, does anyone know why it cannot be used on a 94-95 DOHC?

I'm ready to buy one but want to make sure it will work on my 94-95 before I drop the 85 bucks on it.

Thanks!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

By the way, I totally fucked up this one. There is a scroll bar on this guy's website, but it is hard to see and when it was all of the way up you can only see the 91-93 style. I didn't scroll down.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

yeah their webiste sells all 3 styles for the dohc.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

aaron wrote: I already have about 10 grand into this project.
Thats a stretch. I have about $10k into my N* swap which includes all brand new suspension and a $2600 ecu.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:
aaron wrote: I already have about 10 grand into this project.
Thats a stretch. I have about $10k into my N* swap which includes all brand new suspension and a $2600 ecu.
No, I have nearly 10 grand into this project so far, no exageration.

$3000-car
$1000-crate engine
$1200-ITBs
$2000-headwork
$800-clutch/flywheel
$600-stereo

This doesn't include alternator, starter, exhaust, wiring, and everything else I will have into it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBod ... dy-FR.html

Scroll down, I have 3003-4803s, one L one R. Total at just over $1200. But wait, it seems I estimated low, I forgot the air horns. They aren't included. So a set of 6 50mm air horns, at $50 a piece, totals $300. So I guess it was $1500. Sorry, now fuck off little bitch.

Oh, the headwork? Not quite done yet. But if you expect GOOD headwork (Not redneck with a dremel), you also expect a check around 2 grand. I supplied the engineer with 4 heads, he used 2 for cutting into pieces. He then ported them, rewelded the insides, and reported the ports to totally redesign the shape. Then they will be polished, flowbenched, equalized, and sent back to me. Oh, and they will be fully assempled with a 7 angle valve job.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

aaron wrote:Oh, the headwork? Not quite done yet. But if you expect GOOD headwork (Not redneck with a dremel), you also expect a check around 2 grand. I supplied the engineer with 4 heads, he used 2 for cutting into pieces. He then ported them, rewelded the insides, and reported the ports to totally redesign the shape. Then they will be polished, flowbenched, equalized, and sent back to me. Oh, and they will be fully assempled with a 7 angle valve job.
Who's doing this for you?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Total Performance about an hour south of San Diego, CA. They do extensive headwork on the 4 valve SVT heads for the 4.6l Cobras. When I was there they had nearly 300 4.6l heads, and they said the general job ranges from $600-$2000, and they get the heads to perform very well. They also do engine builds of course, they did the machine work on my friend's 383.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

aaron wrote:Total Performance about an hour south of San Diego, CA.
Dang, they're quite a ways into Mexico. I didn't know there were any major performance shops across the border.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

Series8217 wrote:
Dang, they're quite a ways into Mexico. I didn't know there were any major performance shops across the border.
Why does everyone bother responding to him? Type "aaronz34" into the search engine at OE and look at what you come up with.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:
I don't really know my way around, we probably weren't going South then. They are right near a big military base and there were a lot of fires there. It was an hour away from San Diego, and about half that was on the 5. Other than that, I was lost...

Steven, I expect mine to be making noticably more power after its complete (ITBs, headers, cam work, etc). How long this will take, well, we will see I guess...lol
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Series8217 wrote:
aaron wrote:The 3.4 swap i smuch easier, and should be making more power than a stock N*.
:scratch:
:withstupid:

My N* may someday make 500+ hp but I don't go around saying it will have more hp than a viper engine. Ultil you make the power, keep the guesstimates to yourself.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

<moderator>
Cleaned up.
I apologize for letting this get out of hand.

Keep it civil, gentlemen
</moderator>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

aaron wrote: Oh, the headwork? Not quite done yet. But if you expect GOOD headwork (Not redneck with a dremel), you also expect a check around 2 grand. I supplied the engineer with 4 heads, he used 2 for cutting into pieces. He then ported them, rewelded the insides, and reported the ports to totally redesign the shape. Then they will be polished, flowbenched, equalized, and sent back to me. Oh, and they will be fully assempled with a 7 angle valve job.
aaron wrote:Total Performance about an hour south of San Diego, CA. They do extensive headwork on the 4 valve SVT heads for the 4.6l Cobras. When I was there they had nearly 300 4.6l heads, and they said the general job ranges from $600-$2000, and they get the heads to perform very well. They also do engine builds of course, they did the machine work on my friend's 383.

And you have OBDI heads?
Is there extra cost if you take them the first instance of a certain type of head that they've seen?
Do I really need an extra set of heads to be cut apart and looked at?
Was thinking of doing this with OBDII 3.4 DOHC heads, maybe Northstar heads as well.
Basically, you're saying they're ported until they break through the port walls, then weld the holes up and port some more? Do they do it by hand or CNC?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:And you have OBDI heads?
Is there extra cost if you take them the first instance of a certain type of head that they've seen?
Do I really need an extra set of heads to be cut apart and looked at?
Was thinking of doing this with OBDII 3.4 DOHC heads, maybe Northstar heads as well.
Basically, you're saying they're ported until they break through the port walls, then weld the holes up and port some more? Do they do it by hand or CNC?
Well the OBDI and OBD1.5 heads are the same, the OBDII (96-96), are the newer ones with bigger exhaust ports and a smaller combustion chamber.

I'm really not too sure on cost, and it isn't really fiar of me to discuss that about his business as I don't know. We didn't really talk about the cost much, as we do quite a bit of work for him and it is more a personal favor, but I will be paying him.

He said to do the best he could, an extra head to cut into a few pieces would help tremendously. Basically he can see how far he can grind away before breaking into coolant passages or having a negative affect on strength.

He does not break through the ports on the finished heads, he goes up to the point where he deems it safe. He is basically redesigning the port shape, I'm not sure how much, but he said he could make them perform quite a bit better with different shaped ports. He knows I'll be using a custom intake/headers, so I told him he could do whatever he wants to the ports themselves, and whatever he thinks is best. The welding is something he said he does on some heads, and he adds material, then cuts it down in an effort to reshape the port. For instance, say I wanted a more verticle entry and tall port design on my heads. He would port the top as much as he could without breaking into the coolant ports, then weld on material on the bottom of the port, thus the port is more verticle.

I have not seen the heads yet, so I really can't say how much he is doing. I left them there, we talked about what I wanted and my setup, he played around with them for a little bit (And was really impressed with the stock design), told me where and how he thought he could improve them, and I told him to have at. Pretty much it is a side project for him to play with, and experiment with. I trust his work with 4v heads and have no doubt they will perform well.