New Porsche 911 turbo

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

New Porsche 911 turbo

Post by Aaron »

Well I just got my Car/Driver, and it has an article on the new 911 turbo, basically the 996's equivalent (Technically, the replacement for the 997 is the 911 turbo, but the 997 was slow...)

Anyways, it seems pretty much the same as our's. Power has been increased from 425hp to 473hp, though our's has the cam/intake package from the factory which added 40hp, so our's was 465. It has new variable-geometry twin turbochargers, basically two different sized units--one for high end the other for low. The result is 502lb-ft of torque, at 1900rpm!. This is utterly amazing, according to C-D, the small turbo spools, and "overboosts to 21psi for 10 seconds, before dropping torque back down to 457tq. Above 2000rpm, they say turbo lag is all but eliminated. C-D says a 3.6 0-60 and a 11.9 1/4mi. Our's is factory rated at a 12.4 with a 4.2 0-60 (Notice our's doesn't lose any more after 60mph, in fact we gain a little back). This is also our's at 425hp, without the 40hp cam/intake package.

Our's on the other hand isn't so friendly on the low end. Nothing much happens below 3000rpm, but afterwards it pulls pretty hard and lag is minimal.

Besides this the car lost 90lbs, and gained a new front/rear fascia. Overall it is very similiar to the 996, though looks a bit more aggressive and performs a bit better. Price is around $130,000, quite a bit less than the 996 new. Interior looks pretty much the same, and God I hope they did something with that excuse for a 5-speed automatic...
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

"Ours" ¿

Call it like it is Aaron.... :nono:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Sorry, their's that is kept in my garage, driven by me and no one else, maintained by me and no one else, cleaned by me and no one else, filled up by me and no one else, and broken by me and no one else. Oh, and the fact that is was purchased for me.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Hmmm, well I have a 2005 GMC 2500 Duramax Diesel that Pengrowth lets me use as a commuter truck to and from work. I never call it "ours" (mine and Pengrowth). I own it in no way.

See where I'm going with this?

Anyways, thats a sweet porche. Too bad they are so damn expensive.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: New Porsche 911 turbo

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

aaron wrote:It has new variable-geometry twin turbochargers, basically two different sized units--one for high end the other for low.

How did you read "variable geometry" and think "assymetric twin"?

No where in that article did it say anything about asymmetric twin turbos. Variable geometry means variable nozzles and variable impingemet angle of the exhaust gasses on the turbine wheel.