The results are in........ Northstar dyno

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

whipped

The results are in........ Northstar dyno

Post by whipped »

Before and after 80mm throttle body. Took 5 runs, best 1 before compared to the best 1 after.

gained 10ft-lb torque... not too shabby.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I forget which engine you have... 275 or 300...
whipped

Post by whipped »

300. Through lossy auto tranny = 341 at the crank. I'd probably be putting 300 to the wheels with a getrag...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

AWESOME!!

It pulls HARD all the way to 6500rpm! Thats wicked. I can't wait to get my car on the road. That is a wicked power curve!

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

whipped wrote:300. Through lossy auto tranny = 341 at the crank. I'd probably be putting 300 to the wheels with a getrag...
Where'd you get the idea that the auto sucks up 25%?

What you have there is about what I would have expected for a 275
engine through a 5 speed.

Running 4T60? 440T4?

Nice smooth curves... looks like it's in pretty good tune.
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Pretty goddamn impressive.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Where'd you get the idea that the auto sucks up 25%?

What you have there is about what I would have expected for a 275 engine through a 5 speed.
4t80e. 25% is the MINIMUM value I've heard for it. I've heard upwards of 28% on stock cars going to the dyno.

Gotta have the beef for when I up the power. :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aren't you running the 730? What are you using to control the trans?

I don't see that the 4T80E would be that much lossier than any other GM transverse auto. There's more mass to spin, but not any more mechanism. You're using stock manifolds, right? I also find it a little tough to swallow that a CAI and manifold-back exhaust would be worth 40 HP.

Anyway, good numbers. If you can get it to hook up you should be able to run 13.0 with that transmission and cut a 1.7 short time on street tires.
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Aren't you running the 730? What are you using to control the trans?
hell yeah dude... teh whipzor = ryan.hess on OE. Paddle shifter.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ahh... sweeet. How's that working out?

Why don't we just take this to IM? :thumbleft:
whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Aren't you running the 730? What are you using to control the trans?

I don't see that the 4T80E would be that much lossier than any other GM transverse auto. There's more mass to spin, but not any more mechanism. You're using stock manifolds, right? I also find it a little tough to swallow that a CAI and manifold-back exhaust would be worth 40 HP.

Anyway, good numbers. If you can get it to hook up you should be able to run 13.0 with that transmission and cut a 1.7 short time on street tires.
The problem is the 80e has like 3 (4?) parasitic power draining pumps. I'll try to find the dyno's of the stock northstar cars. Remember I'm probably running higher timing than stock, and definately running leaner than stock, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Oh, and I don't have to deal with any MAF restrictions.
whipped

Post by whipped »

stock dynos:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstardyno.htm

so using the best test, 21%, it's 326 at the crank
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Wow, it would seem the N* reacts very well to just tuning.

What kind of exhaust are you running?
whipped

Post by whipped »

The crappy type. Stock manifolds, 2.25" duals to dual cats and dual SuperTurbo (full size) mufflers

I like my exhaust quiet. :thumbleft:

actually, it might be 2.5" now that I think about it. I don't remember
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Right on. I'm running dual 2.5" with just full size mufflers. After the obnoxious 3.4dohc I wanted something alittle quieter as well.

Need to get your car on vid running and reving. :salute:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Ryan this is awesome dude. Those are good numbers. Just wanted to say congrats. 7730 tuning masta!!

paddle shifting tranny and all. Kickass setup.

Just an FYI, Whats his name with the nstar convertible on Old Europe with a bone stock n star(300hp) through the 4t80 layed down 240 whp. Thats about 20%

So 256 is pretty good for the mods you have and the computer. Seems you are doing a really good job with that computer. Nice work man.

Pics and or vids?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

By any comparison, the stock exhaust manifolds on the N* aren't that bad at all. I'd go as far to say they are good...

That is a devilish power curve. Awesome low end, and it pulls harder and harder and harder. It's amazing how much better the curve is all around than the 3.4 DOHC (In respect to displacement of course). That is a damn nice setup.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Rborecky

Post by Rborecky »

Yes nice job. Exchaust can be real good or a problem if to open. It all depends on your computer settings. Rick B
whipped

Post by whipped »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Ryan this is awesome dude. Those are good numbers. Just wanted to say congrats. 7730 tuning masta!!

paddle shifting tranny and all. Kickass setup.

Just an FYI, Whats his name with the nstar convertible on Old Europe with a bone stock n star(300hp) through the 4t80 layed down 240 whp. Thats about 20%

So 256 is pretty good for the mods you have and the computer. Seems you are doing a really good job with that computer. Nice work man.

Pics and or vids?
Thanks. Do you know if he had a k&n type filter or anything? Seems like a waste to install the stock caddy air filter box. If he gained 10hp there, 230whp would be 23%... I think the real loss is somewhere between 21-26%... I could believe an average of 23ish..

Oh, and I was going to bring the videocamera, but have no idea how I'd bring it into the computer. I don't have one of those video capture cards.
DreX

Post by DreX »

Nice numbers. A credit to you for dyno your car. :thumbleft: I want to do it to mine but that will take some time. :/

Whould be cool to have some kind if db of engine swaps with dynos and mods progression.

DreX