Radio issues.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

FieroGuy9890

Radio issues.

Post by FieroGuy9890 »

Okay i just replaced my alternator in my 85 2m4 and it seems to be working fine (it's ran for over an hour with the radio on and the heater going and when u turn it on the dome lights and what not get brighter than when the car was off). But now theres a problem ever since i took out my old alternator the radio will not save the presets, like when u turn it off with presets stored and then turn it back on even just a second later they are all gone. it worked before i removed the old alternator, so any one know what could be wrong? thanks in advance

-Randy-
It's a never ending project... That I may never get to start.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Well I suggest you add some grounds to your engine, but I doubt that is the problem directly.

I added a ground from the battery to the engine, and from the engine to the frame, and while it did not do much for my car, I've heard it helps older ones, with corroded ground straps, a helluva lot.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Check your battery connections, make sure they're tight. Check your fuses too.

I think your problem is a coincidence more than anything. Unless there's something internally wrong with the radio, the only reason it should lose its presets is that it loses power when the key is off.

If the problem is at the battery, then it should be obvious. If the connection is bad, it would affect all the systems in the car when its off, like the lights wouldn't come on when you open the doors. If its not at the battery, its somewhere farther upstream. Check the connections right upstream from the battery in the engine compartment, as those would be the most likely to be affected by your work under the hood. If it isn't there, start looking farther up towards the radio. Its gotta be there somewhere.
<Insert Sig Here>
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you blew your radio fuse. I can almost bet your cigarrete lighter doesn't work either right?
FieroGuy9890

Post by FieroGuy9890 »

Yeah i checked the fuse and it's good if i take it out then the radio shuts off and the cigarette lighter still works too.
It's a never ending project... That I may never get to start.