My broken 3.4dohc core motor

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

My broken 3.4dohc core motor

Post by crzyone »

Well I pulled my core 3.4dohc apart today to see what is wrong with it. As soon as I pulled the pan it was pretty aparent. There was metal all over the oil pan and intake screen of the oil pump. You could see one of the piston skirts decided to let go. It caused some damage to the srank and rods and other pistons with the big chunk of metal banging around. I was actually hopint it had only spun a rod.

Here are some misc pictures. You can see the broken piston, and the piston that was right beside it is pretty beat up.

The block looks to be in good shape, one score on one cylinder. Looks like it will clean up nicely with a bore 30 over. Honing looks very fresh and the cylinders don't have a wear ring.

The circled cam lobe just shows how little duration this motor has, kind of pathetic.

Talked with Shaun and he figures neglect caused the piston failure or piston slap. I did find that one of the rods had some side to side play that would have contributed to the failure.

Donk, if you read this, keep an eye out for a good 3.1 crank. I'll need one.

donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

I asked Troy if he had a crank and he does have a 3.1 crank. I would have grabbed it if it was a 2.8 DIS

Can i "have" your spare heads and block? :D
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

They are not spare, if they were I would give them to you. I'll be sending the heads to shaun sometime to have ported. I will keep the motor that is in my car whole and probibly keep it as a spare engine "just in case".

Thanks for the info on the crank, is there anything that guy doesn't have?