Road race engine setups

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

alltrbo

Road race engine setups

Post by alltrbo »

You know it really tells you something when someone on TGO (thirdgen.org) spends several years building and tuning a twin-turbo small block in his road-race setup '89 IROC, then recommends a modded naturally aspirated LS1 to someone else who is asking which engine to use for road racing, because of the smooth, flat torque curve (in addition to the lighter weight and added reliability). Hehe.

I'm turbo crazy because I don't believe any engine should have to work for it's own air and because turbos are just cool, but I must admit that sometimes other things work better for a specific purpose in most cases.
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - For Sale (maybe)
(And too many more!)
There's no replacement for turbo placement
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Do you want to build an LS1 yet?
SBC's are old, dude.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

I've always held that I wouldn't mind building a stout boosted LS1, but the truth still lies in that I can build a not-quite-but-close-enough stout all aluminum SBC for a lot less money, and it would still be lighter and easier. :P
I do want an LS1, even a stock one. Just not over an archaic mega-boosted SBC.

However, the point of this post was N/A vs boost for the track. :P
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

There are alot easier and less exspensive ways to get power out of an LS-1 than a turbo. There is a company called patriot heads that sell modded LS6 heads, and with a hot cam from comp its supposed to make 500+ at the fly. I didn't see the dyno sheets myself, but my dad did then he bought the head and cam package for his 01 ws6. I am wondering what kind of numbers he will put down so I am going to make him take it to the dyno when he is done to see what it makes at the wheels.
alltrbo

Re: Road race engine setups

Post by alltrbo »

Yeah, but...
alltrbo wrote: I'm turbo crazy because I don't believe any engine should have to work for it's own air and because turbos are just cool
I_wear_pants

Re: Road race engine setups

Post by I_wear_pants »

alltrbo wrote:Yeah, but...
alltrbo wrote: I'm turbo crazy because I don't believe any engine should have to work for it's own air and because turbos are just cool

Ok, FINE you win.