Odds of both relays being bad?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Ok I decided it was time to look into this today. I tested both relays, and both click when I ground the ground pin and apply 12v. So they are both good.

I then checked all of the wires on the plug itself, and all were good and went where they were supposed to. So I plugged it in, turned the key on, and wouldn't you guess, the fuel pump primed. So then I started the car and ran it for a little while. Turned it off, and a few minutes later went to start it again. I turn the key, and a second later hear the relay click. No fuel pump.

WTF?

I'm thinking it has got to be a loose connection/bad wire somewhere between the relay and fuel pump. When the relay doesn't work, neither does applying 12v to the ALDL. But when the relay does work, so does 12v to the ALDL. So, where should I look first?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

[obligatory bitching out] This is the FIFTH page of a thread wondering if your relays are bad and you're JUST NOW testing the relays? WTF dude? Why not just keep on afro-engineering your shit? It's a LOT easier and it ALMOST works!
[/obligatory bitching out]

Anyway, there's a 3 or 4 pin connector on the engine side of the firewall just above the fuel tank. You probably have some issues with that.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:[obligatory bitching out] This is the FIFTH page of a thread wondering if your relays are bad and you're JUST NOW testing the relays? WTF dude? Why not just keep on afro-engineering your shit? It's a LOT easier and it ALMOST works!
[/obligatory bitching out]
I knew they worked. They were both cloean, looked semi new, and I tried them both. I had very little doubt of whether or not they worked.
Anyway, there's a 3 or 4 pin connector on the engine side of the firewall just above the fuel tank. You probably have some issues with that.
Yah I found that, but that looks fine, actually looks new...May check it tomorrow. I think it might be the connector on the pump. The car still has a fuel delivery issue though, I'll edit this and copy-paste what I write in my build thread.

I DROVE IT!!!

I finished up a lot fo the small stuff today, got coolant topped off, wiring all put back together and working, and clutch. So I decided today was the day. I got it to start and we headed out.

The engine runs good, and has decent power. I didn't rev it past 5000-5500ish, I saw the redline on the tach and had to stop I guess...lol. It pulls a lot stronger than my other 2.8l Fiero, but it isn't as strong as I thought it would be. I still have a lot of bugs to work out though, to include adding an exhaust, intake, and final tuning. I have a feeling it'll fall into shape then. It does have one issue, a fueling issue. Above 3000rpm it is awesome, just smooth and powerful. But below that it is quirky. Sometimes it is fine and it'll idle fine, other times it just cuts out and dies, won't idle, then won't restart. I'm getting fuel, I can hear the pump prime after it dies. I think I have a faulty wiring /connector issue on the fuel pump or its wiring, causing it to not work every now and then. I'm going to look at that tomorrow.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I just wanted to bump this back to the top and see if I understand this correctly.

I disconnected my oil pressure sending unit at the engine and now it won't start and also it won't build fuel pressure unless I plug it back in. Also if the engine is running and I unplug the sensor the fuel pump quits running

So this means the oil pump relay behind the air cleaner is bad correct? THe engine was running off of the oil pressure sending unit, and not the relay correct?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

It's the fuel pump relay, but that is correct.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

FUCKING SPAM!!! :cussing:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Its all over the fucking place right now :angry:
Abadedsterha44

Post by Abadedsterha44 »

84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »