TC Lockup Switch

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

derangedsheep

TC Lockup Switch

Post by derangedsheep »

Mine died on the highway, going up an offramp, on a hill, during rush hour... :cussing: When I got to where I was going I promptly unplugged the wires from the trans. I don't feel like fixing it. The trans should be ok, right?
87 GT - Automatic. 2.25" Catback.
04 VW GTI 1.8T - APR 93. Weitec 60/40 Cup Kit. GHL Intake. Neuspeed 28mm RSB. Peloquin's Differential.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yes. I ran my 6000 S/E like that for about 20,000 miles. It won't hurt the transmission.

There's no need to run yours without lockup for that long, though. The lockup solenoid is ridiculously easy to replace.

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/TCC.htm
cliff

Post by cliff »

As Will said, it's an easy item to replace and directly affects your gas mileage. If you don't want to replace it yourself, I'd be willing to argue that you can pay for it with the gas money you'll save.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I bought the car with the solenoid clogged and unplugged. I replaced it and gained ~2.5 mpg in mixed driving.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

So all I have to do is take the side cover off the trans and it's a little black box sitting there? It doesn't sound like it would even take the 4-5 hours that the article says. I guess I will get around to it once I get out of school (3 weeks). It will give me a chance to crawl under the car and figure out where the hell it's leaking oil from.
87 GT - Automatic. 2.25" Catback.
04 VW GTI 1.8T - APR 93. Weitec 60/40 Cup Kit. GHL Intake. Neuspeed 28mm RSB. Peloquin's Differential.