88 Front Crossmember - Enlarged paddle nut holes?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

JamesCurtis

88 Front Crossmember - Enlarged paddle nut holes?

Post by JamesCurtis »

As some of you may remember, I had a thread not too long ago about problems with a popping noise on my passenger side front suspension on Old Europe. I narrowed it down to the UCA slipping, and believe that that is the cause. This past monday, I ordered a paddle nut & bolt set from the fiero store. I got it today, and put it on. I tightened the nuts to 52 lbs + 1/4 turn, and the popping is still there. One observation, the bolts supplied were big enough to go right through the rear hole and have room to play, but the front one was a tight fit, I had to thread it through it. The bolt on the rear larger hole was loose when I went to loosen it (was tightened with an impact wrench a week ago at an alignment shop). So what i'm wondering I guess is, is this normal? I could try putting a larger bolt in the rear hole, but then I'd have to modify the paddle nut. Could I have it aligned, and then have the alignment shop tac the paddle to the crossmember?

or

Do I need a new crossmember? :angry: Maybe this is a good time to upgrade to HMS tubular xmember?

Thanks in advance for the help
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I think there's supposed to be room to move that bolt around so you can tweak the caster and camber a bit. How do you know the control arm was slipping?
Couldn't it be something in the steering or brakes?
JamesCurtis

Post by JamesCurtis »

New caliper, new rack bushing, tie rods are in good condition. The lower balljoint has been replaced, the upper bushings were replaced, and the wheel bearing was replaced. All this has happened within the past year on that side. The upper balljoint isn't bad, has been checked. I know that after the suspension starts popping after an alignment, my alignment goes bad real quick. 88's suspension is adjustable from the uca, and with the enlarged hole and the bolt being loose that was tightened extremely well that's attached to that enlarged hole, it just makes me wonder ya know. :scratch:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

When does it pop?
JamesCurtis

Post by JamesCurtis »

mostly when I back up and turn the wheel, like getting out of a parking space. When I'm backed up and the wheel's turned and I press on the brakes to slow down and take off, it pops.
JamesCurtis

Post by JamesCurtis »

Update!!

Just went out there and painted it, did something that my alignment shop recommended doing (enlarged the crossmember hole that the bolt was having to thread through), and pulled out of my garage. ..... - POP - it did it again. This time I pulled it back into the garage, and what did I see? A big crack on the paddle shaft. That would explain it :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Something to start your wall of shame with...

The fastest stands on the biggest pile of broken parts.
JamesCurtis

Post by JamesCurtis »

Pics-

For those of you wondering what the crossmember/steering rack on an 88 looks like -

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

wow - that would have been exciting when it finally came apart during a high speed brake!!