Body work on 67 fastback..

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

JohnnyK

Body work on 67 fastback..

Post by JohnnyK »

So I've slowly been doing my patch panels, floor pans, etc, etc.. However, on the stuff I did long ago I didn't rustproof the welds afterwards.. is it cool just to grind them down then coat them (they got a lot of 'surface' (I hope) rust on em..).. I want long term protection here... second question.. Is it cool just to coat them in some shitty Crappy Tire rust paint or something for the time being.. When it's warm I'm going to DA sand the whole car down to metal and shoot with Dp90lf.. Any ideas? Thanks
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Since no one else has responed.

let me preface this with i have no first hand experience restoring a car.

The main thing is to just get all of the rust off of your chassis and parts and then cover any exposed metal with paint. Cut, sand or somehow remove any rusty metal.

Griots has good paint. Lots of people have had good experience with POR 15. Ive used krylon rattlecan on a chassis before with good results. My freind is rebuilding a motorcycle and using spray on bedliner for the frame and some other parts. That looks good too.

Good luck.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I think that since you are going to tackle this job int eh spring you can get by with just a quick coating of rust proof paint. That will stop the rust for the time being till you get to work on it in the spring.

Its most likely just surface rust right now.

If you plan on grinding it down then just get a coat of paint on the exposed metal for the time being. It wont' hurt anything and rust needs oxygen in order to spread, you take that out of the equation with the paint.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

Thanks guys! I don't plan on using POR15 as it's pricey for my temporary needs (Just going to get a good epoxy coating later).. I was thinking of using zerorust on the undercarriage, interior and engine bay, but I've used it, and it seems I can scrape it pretty good with my fingernail, so I could see the engine bay being all scuffy after awhile.. Just my main concern is if rust got in the welds now.. I'm going to hit it with a sander and grinder anyways, but.. Oh well, hopefully nothing comes of it. My other main concern is the quarter panels and what now (how they are welded).. They have lips all over them, that go, say, on top of the rockers, and others that fold behind the taillight panel.. I've tried weldthru primer, but I can't seem to get a good weld that sticks with it (doing plug welds to simulate the spot welds), so I was just goign to go metal on metal and epoxy overtop.. But then I have the bare metal thats inside the lap of the metal, and I can definately see that causing some rust where the rockers meet the quarters...