Fine bitches, I'll race my car (15.411 @ 90.01)

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Aaron, quit the bench racing.

All I can say is my 3.4dohc would have handed a 2.8 its ass, and I have a fat fastback. This is a stupid argument.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote: All I can say is my 3.4dohc would have handed a 2.8 its ass, and I have a fat fastback. This is a stupid argument.
Currently owning a properly operating 2.8l (And one that will make it for more than 2 hours), I can honestly say there is no contest whatsoever. The 3.4 will utterly obliterate the 2.8 from idle to redline. There is no prayer in the world that 200lbs will magically overcome 90hp. Maybe 20hp, so if I had a 3.4 OHV you'd stand a chance.

And we all know driving in a straight line is so hard. OMFG, the tach is at redline, what do I do? Oh yah, shift. It isn't hard to do.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

When you go to the grocery store, you usually dont drop the clutch at 4000RPM's, and shift at redline for every gear. Most parts break on a car when it launches at the track. 2nd most common is when at redline, say you miss a shift, and blow a rod or something.

Your alternator crapping out would have happened if you went to the track, or went to the grocery store, but say your diff exploded at the track. That usually doesnt happen when you are driving 40MPH in the city, driving normally.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

Aaron wrote: Currently owning a properly operating 2.8l (And one that will make it for more than 2 hours), I can honestly say there is no contest whatsoever. The 3.4 will utterly obliterate the 2.8 from idle to redline.
Unless that 2.8l owner happened to be racing you.

Just kidding.

You've got nothing to be ashamed of. You've either got a worn out motor or it needs serious tuning. Junkyard motors are a box of chocolates. I wish I could tell you your alternator had something to do with it, but no. If you can drive an hour on a battery, it didn't; A few volts in the primary igntion doesn't translated into much of anything that's going to affect that motor.

edit: $50 says this car runs a faster sea level time than p8ntman. Anyone that pusses out of a race because he's afraid of a coolant leak isn't fast.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

befarrer wrote:When you go to the grocery store, you usually dont drop the clutch at 4000RPM's, and shift at redline for every gear. Most parts break on a car when it launches at the track. 2nd most common is when at redline, say you miss a shift, and blow a rod or something.

Your alternator crapping out would have happened if you went to the track, or went to the grocery store, but say your diff exploded at the track. That usually doesnt happen when you are driving 40MPH in the city, driving normally.
Agreed. But your car is a real piece of shit if the diff is going to explode with 135hp.
MNFatz wrote: You've got nothing to be ashamed of. You've either got a worn out motor or it needs serious tuning. Junkyard motors are a box of chocolates. I wish I could tell you your alternator had something to do with it, but no. If you can drive an hour on a battery, it didn't; A few volts in the primary igntion doesn't translated into much of anything that's going to affect that motor.
Or the alternator was bad. Oh yah, it was. Trust me, it was the alternator. Maybe if the battery had a few volts it would've run fine. It didn't have enough to pop up the headlights, the interior lights were all really dim, and it was missing REALLY badly. I just got into Denver right now, car ran like a bat out of hell the entire way. I only got it up to 130ish (Near redline in 4th), but it was pulling strong. This was the problem, and hopefully I'll go back this Friday night.
Aaron

15.411 at 90.01

Post by Aaron »

I went back to the track tonight with everything fixed. I got in 4 runs before they rained out. It was pretty good as far as conditions go, except for a headwind.

This 282 NEEDS TO GO. Shifting at 6500 is tough, and really slow. It just hangs up. It works fine just daily driving, but as soon as I floor it and wrap it out, it just doesn't like to shift. Sucks to, because my best 60' was CRAZY good, 1.690, but then I missed 2nd, it just didn't want to go in. My Lumina's 284 was much easier on the high-rpm shifts. If there was no headwind, and I could've shifted faster, I think a flat 15 could've happened.

This is my best complete run on the left, and the best of all 4 combined on the right.

R/T..........246.................246
1/8...........9.896..............9.853
MPH..........69.78..............69.78
1/4...........15.411............15.411
MPH..........90.01..............90.01
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Timeslips!! We need real timeslips!

That sucks on the one with the better 60-ft. You woulda been up to high 14s if you didn't miss that shift into second. Also I think you're shifting at too high of an RPM. Bring the shift point down to 6000-6200 with stock timing, esp considering that it shifts hard over 6000..
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

If you woulda answered the fucking phone you coulda told me that ahead of time.

I was shifting at 6500. 6000 would be fine, except I think it'll still be rough in this tranny, and it'd KILL me on the 1-2 shift, the drop would hurt a lot I think.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

U gonna swap in a 284 now???
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No. This car isn't going to be modded any farther, and I didn't build it to be a race car, more a daily driver how the Fiero should have been.

My black car shifts much better. I ran it to 6500 on the 2.8l today just to check it....lol. The gear was smooth, and went it fast, no hanging up like on the Maroon car. If I ever run into trans problems on the black car, I will swap in a 284, but I don't anticipate any problems.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

When can we expect the black bitches build thread to be bumped up top???
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Next summer.. :crybaby:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

1.69 60 ft time? Bull fucking shit. Typo.

Pics of timeslips. So I am guessing these aren't "corrected" for altitude and this is what it actually ran?
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

The 282 behind my Quad doesnt like shifting 1-2 above 4000RPM's either, doesnt like shifting 2-1 very easily either, usually have to double clutch and stuff like that, unless I am barely moving. But I think that is because my tranny has 340,000KM on it. All other gears work fine though.
Mr. Pat

Post by Mr. Pat »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:1.69 60 ft time? Bull fucking shit. Typo.

Pics of timeslips. So I am guessing these aren't "corrected" for altitude and this is what it actually ran?
:withstupid:
86 GT, LT1/4T60-E...slower than a crippled dog.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:This 282 NEEDS TO GO. Shifting at 6500 is tough, and really slow. It just hangs up.
befarrer wrote:The 282 behind my Quad doesnt like shifting 1-2 above 4000RPM's either, doesnt like shifting 2-1 very easily either, usually have to double clutch and stuff like that, unless I am barely moving. But I think that is because my tranny has 340,000KM on it. All other gears work fine though.
Transmissions with high mileage and especially with the WRONG LUBRICANT don't shift well. It's not the fault of the 282.

If you have GM synchromesh and it's hard to shift, it's just time for an overhaul. If you don't have GM Synchromesh or you don't know what fluid is in the box, change over to GM Synchromesh before criticising.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

befarrer wrote:The 282 behind my Quad doesnt like shifting 1-2 above 4000RPM's either, doesnt like shifting 2-1 very easily either, usually have to double clutch and stuff like that, unless I am barely moving. But I think that is because my tranny has 340,000KM on it. All other gears work fine though.
Mine seems to do fine with the 2-1 shift, though I can't just shove it right in, I do have to ease it in a bit.

The tranny has 112,000 miles and has a full load of GM Synchromesh (10 bucks a fucking quart).

So I give you a full runout of my timeslip and you still call bS? Whatever dude.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

post the timeslip aaron. No way you cut a 1.69 60 ft and still ran the same elapsed time as when you cut a 2.xx

We all know you have a camera so post the slip.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

New shift cables also help a ton, and try an isuzu slave on the getrag, mega disengagement.

Timeslip.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:post the timeslip aaron. No way you cut a 1.69 60 ft and still ran the same elapsed time as when you cut a 2.xx

We all know you have a camera so post the slip.
CAN YOU FUCKING READ? On the right is my combined best from all 4 runs dumbfuck. I took my best r/t, then my best 60', then my best 330, all regardless of which of my 4 they came from. As I also said before, when I cut my 1.69 60', I missed 2nd, thus threw out my run, and got like a 24 @ 40mph. My God you need teh middle school. Grammar for the win.
crzyone wrote:New shift cables also help a ton, and try an isuzu slave on the getrag, mega disengagement.

Timeslip.
Cables could be it actually, my side to side cable is REALLY stiff (Takes two hands to get reverse). However my forward back selector seems fine. I need a new slave anyways, I may try to find an Isuzu or just buy a new one. This won't cause any harm to the clutch will it?