Tire sizes

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

alltrbo

Tire sizes

Post by alltrbo »

Would it be worth it to slap some 225/60/15's on the rear stock wheels of the Fiero instead of the stock 215/60/15's? I'm about to order new ones.

It would help, just a little, in correcting the weight distribution problem.

The stock speedo is already a bit fast so that size will make up for it.

I'm trying to get every bit of gas mileage out of the car when I swap in teh little 3100, and this would lower the rpm's on the highway a teeny bit. On the flip side, they would cause more rolling resistance and they're a bit heavier.

This would raise the rear of the car a tiny bit, and it's already too high.

So, worth it or no? I'm probably over-analyzing it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I would say it would be a small improvement. Wider in the rear is always better. You could always go with shorter tires, say 50 or 55s instead of 60s if you are worried about the overall height of the tires.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

I see no listings for 225/55's, but there are 225/50's. Those would be way too short though, even shorter then the front tires, and would shorten the gear ratios which is the opposite of what I want to do, and would make my speedo even further off, so that's not really an option. Unfortunately the only other feasible choice on these wheels is the 225/60.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I had 225/60/15s on the back of my car for awhile. It did add some rake. It was cool. It also handled much better. I put them on right before I went to a road course (Streets of Willow Springs)
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

I have 225/60/15s on the back of my car right now and it doesn't look particularly goofy. They're not that big, and they actually fill up the rear wheel wells a bit. Not at all like the 205/55/15s I have in the front. You wouldn't think it, but the 55s look tiny compared to the 60s. Makes the fronts look way small and give it a lot of wheel gap. Handles nice, though.

General opinion seems to be that you need to offset the width front to rear by at least 20. 225 is as large as I could go out back, and I didn't want to go under 205 up front, so thats what I went with.

Makes me glad I have a set of 16's that are just waiting for tires. Fill up that wheel gap a bit, and get some bigger brakes on it too. Can go wider out back, too.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Back when I first got into Fieros, I ran 245/60-15's on the stock 15x7 mesh wheels. With the sidewall that tall, you can play much faster and looser with wheel width relative to tire width. I used Dunlop GT Qualifiers. It was ok for a cheap setup.
Fierocious

Post by Fierocious »

I had BFG Gforcesports 225/60/15's all around on my 88 gt. handled alittle better. I did not want to go with lower than 60 since i didnt want it to look like it needed to be lowered. If yours is lower or plan to be then do it.
1988 Fiero GT
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

225/60's it is. Thanks guys.