How do I get laid when my 2.hate has a high idle?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The scanner doesn't have a TPS % readout, just voltage. With a closed throttle it's around 0.68 V.
the TPS on mine would read a voltage if i reset it or not, but it would only go to 0% if i reset it by unplugging the connector at the ECU - it would idle high if it wasn't reading 0%
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

But that's on a 3.4 & matched ECM, right?
GM's own TECH 1 only gives TPS voltage for the Fiero computer. I had @$$umed that TPS % just wasn't in the data stream.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i'd have to stick my scantool on the 2.8 turbo to see if it gets %

for my fiero its a 3.4 with a Turbo grand prix ecm
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

You're right Will, its not in the datastream. I just checked the ALDL specs for that engine/ECM.
Anyway, as you said, the IAC counts go to zero anyway, so thats not the problem. They would remain high if the TPS was the issue.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

actaully yeah i bypassed the whole TPS goes to 0

if it goes to zero and runs then there is a leak somewhere
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

So with the IAC counts at zero it idles at 1800-2000 RPM. Is that the typical symptom off an EGR vacuum leak? What is the mechanism of this leak? I disconnected & plugged the EGR solenoid vacuum connections with no effect on engine RPM, so what I have is a BIG leak. The brakes seem to work fine, so I'm disinclined to suspect the brake booster.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:So with the IAC counts at zero it idles at 1800-2000 RPM. Is that the typical symptom off an EGR vacuum leak? What is the mechanism of this leak? I disconnected & plugged the EGR solenoid vacuum connections with no effect on engine RPM, so what I have is a BIG leak. The brakes seem to work fine, so I'm disinclined to suspect the brake booster.
the leak is usualy the tube that runs from the EGR mushroom to the bottom of the upper plenum. its very crumbly, and if you remove the upper plenum, it tough to do without breaking this tube
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ahh... ok. IOW, it's also difficult to check. Grr...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

EGR block-off plate at the manifold fixed the vacuum leak (and of course the high idle). Also got all-time-high gas mileage of 29.