why bother anymore????

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Shaun41178(2)

why bother anymore????

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

It makes no sense to even try anymore.

With todays performance cars there is no way we can hang.

I just saw a vid of fairly stock C6 turning 11's chirping every gear.

I had the link but lost it. Oh well. Makes me think high 12's arent' even worth it anymore.

Meh

:mad:
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

And it's not just expensive cars anymore. You can get a SRT4 neon for $20K that will run 13's. Chevy has the Cobalt SS which is supercharged coming out in the $20K's and everything else thats out right now with a good ammount of HP. I still think I would rather spend my money on making my car faster than making a payment on a new car. :D I'm gonna see how my 4 . 9 does this summer and if I'm not happy I'm gonna look into a different engine. Maybe a Lt1 or a LS1........
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I'm just happy to have a 18 year old hooptie running around town that can keep up with a V6 Accord. And when you think about it, some of the "muscle" from back in the day can't hang with 0-60 of an Accord. I don't stress about 1/4 mile times, I can't open up the car in town over maybe 60 mph. Believe me, a stock 3800s.2SC in a Fiero can rip(!) from 0-60. At the end of the quarter mile, though, my wife's PT Cruiser GT probably wins, and I'd definately rather drive it at 115 mph.
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

I got an Accord EX in 2001 and that thing is quite a rocketship for a family car (if it were only RWD). Hell, even my Odyssey walks by my 85SE 2.5. I find it very interesting to see / hear about people shoving faster motors in their Fiero's, however, never had motivation to do that to mine. I hardly win any at-the-light races anymore, but it is still fun to try and get the thrill.

I love my Fieros for what they are; "cheap", "fast", "fun", and most importantly "can-be-punished-without-care". When I break one beyond minor repair, I just buy another (on # three). Cant be racing teens / venting / cornering all day in my Accord.

My cars: http://www.fiero.com/modules.php?set_al ... _album.php
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

If the job offer I've accepted comes through, I'm gonna find a ragged out C5 and geta loan for the cost of the car plus 5-6 grand. I can bolt together a 500 RWHP all motor ride that ought to crack tens for that.

Will I have out grown the Fiero at that point? I hope not. I like to tinker with it. If there were a decent manual transmission out for it, I'd be well on my way to a 700 HP turbo Northstar, but I don't have any confidence in the 282's ability to handle that, even with the way turbo torque comes on smoothly.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

SRT-4, with a $3200 bolt on turbo upgrade with injectors, exhaust and piggy back computer will run high 11s all day long and get better fuel economy than stock. Heck a stage 3 upgrade on an SRT-4 puts out 350whp!! This is factory upgrade parts!

As soon as my Intrepid is paid off, I'm getting an SRT-4 and my fiero is probibly going to sit for awhile.

Fieros just can't hang. Even the big sbc fieros arn't into the 10s.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Fiero just isnt the cheapest or easiest way to go fast.

For what it is, it is impressive, but it cannot compete with modern cars without some serious modification.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

eHoward wrote:Fiero just isnt the cheapest or easiest way to go fast.

For what it is, it is impressive, but it cannot compete with modern cars without some serious modification.
Yep, and most Fiero owners are too damn cheap or old to do it. The guys who do put a lot of work into their Fiero's dont race them. :scratch:
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

eHoward wrote:Fiero just isnt the cheapest or easiest way to go fast.

Exactly... the primary selling point of a Fiero, IMNSHO, is the mid-mounted engine. It's a cheap way to get into a mid-engine car, and that's it. In stock form, the engine sucks, the transmission isn't the strongest, the suspension is hacked together parts bin junk, and the brakes are thoroughly inadequate... So I bought mine for the engine placement and everything else is up to me.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

So how true is the rumor that the offer is Sunoco in philly?

You should take a look at GTOs man. Corvette engine for $20k less then the vette. And since its new, you get good financing.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:If the job offer I've accepted comes through, I'm gonna find a ragged out C5 and geta loan for the cost of the car plus 5-6 grand. I can bolt together a 500 RWHP all motor ride that ought to crack tens for that.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Engineering contractor with Naval Research Lab. Have to wait for the contracting outfit to find out if they won the contract or not. Should find out this week.

C5's lighter than GTO, used is cheaper than new, and GTO's just don't get chicks wet the way Vette's do.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I guess I should have clarified *used* Vette... I'm not gonna be the poor schmuck who takes that depreciation hit.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

find a used Z06.

Much better then a regular C5.

Huge top end pull. Trap 115 stock.

Can prob find a used one for around 35-40k or so.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'd be buying it to mod the hell out of anyway... I'd rather not pay up front for stuff I'm gonna do differently...

AFR heads, LSX instake, long tubes, custom X pipe, Corsa or Tubi cat back... That's replacing most of the Z06 powertrain stuff right off the bat.

The only other Z06 parts I could really see myself using would be the wheels and the springs. I'd be using adjustable shocks and sway-bars.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

z06 heads and intake flow better then a reg c5 anyways.

go with aftr heads on z06 and it will make even that much more power over a c5 with those same mods.

A z06 traps about 5-7 mph faster then a stock C5

Do those mods on a c5 and you will prob be just a step ahead of a stock Z06. Now do those mods to a z06 and you will prob be trapping low 120's easily.

125 shot on a Z06 will put it into the mid 11's around 124 with traction. THats badass.

ZO6 ZO6 ZO6 /chant
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The Dark Side of Will wrote: AFR heads, LSX instake, long tubes, custom X pipe, Corsa or Tubi cat back... That's replacing most of the Z06 powertrain stuff right off the bat.
Gonna be looking for cam advice... thinking solid roller. Also LS1 Edit...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Sounds like you are set on the vette so I am not going to try too hard to talk you out of it. The C5 is a LOT of car for the money and im sure with you moding it, it will be faster.

However, if I were you, I would get an insurance quote on both of those cars.

I would get a financing quote on both of those cars. I think the new GM financed car will end up being 4+% APR cheaper then the used vette that youll have to go through private financing.

Think about what the go fast engine parts will cost you to bring it past where the GTO comes from the factory.

and then do a total cost of ownership breakdown.

The new car even with the depreciation hit might be cheaper.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: C5's lighter than GTO, used is cheaper than new, and GTO's just don't get chicks wet the way Vette's do.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It's Vette or not. GTO is cool, but not my style.

I definitely will be checking out financing and insurance. I don't go into things like this with my eyes closed. Being military, I should be able to get good financing and insurance through USAA. Progressive is also good to me.

How fast are GTO's running these days? I thought your basic C5 was still faster than a 400 HP Goat because of the weight and traction advantage...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

5.15 seconds to 60 mph, 13.75 seconds in the quarter-mile at 104.1 mph

according to autoweek.

I couldnt easily find stock c5 times, but i think they run 13 flats and 0 to 60s at or under 5.
007DOUG
Teh Fossil

Re: why bother anymore????

Post by 007DOUG »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:It makes no sense to even try anymore.

With todays performance cars there is no way we can hang.:mad:
Because it not about going fast, its about looking cool :afrocool:
Buy IRM, Again! at www.fierowarehouse.com