I don't even know. Crap in my coolant and strange noises.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

I don't even know. Crap in my coolant and strange noises.

Post by Starlite528 »

Strange things have been going on with my Fiero as of late.
1988 v6 2.8 'Formula', ~222.5k/miles

I recently replaced my alternator, after having installed some electrical things drained my battery, etc. Also had the 3-speed auto rebuilt, with a transgo shift kit, all which cost me ~1500 bux.

Starting within the last couple of weeks, my belt has started making squeaky noises, I hear gurgling in the engine, and now after a 150 mile, 2.5 hour drive home and pushing 110mph at one point, it started overheating (just as I got home.) I checked the coolant, and I found this:

It's dark and greasy, and it came out from the radiator. I fear the worst. Tonight I checked it again. I ran the engine for about 30 seconds, and saw the oil pressure gauge go up to 80, and the voltmeter go up more than normal. I checked in the valve cover where I fill the oil (which now has 20/50) and saw a bit of what appeared to be grey smoke as soon as I opened the cap, but I didn't see milky white or cappucino flavored bubbly stuff inside:

[/img]
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Re: I don't even know. Crap in my coolant and strange noise

Post by stimpy »

Starlite528 wrote:Strange things have been going on with my Fiero as of late.
1988 v6 2.8 'Formula', ~222.5k/miles

I checked in the valve cover where I fill the oil.. but I didn't see... cappucino flavored bubbly stuff inside:
Quit tasting your motor oil. I'm sure that can't be good for you.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

sounds like the water pump is failing. since you didnt mention anything about it running funny, I'll say the head gasket is fine. but, to make sure, check the plugs, see if theres a strangly clean or dirty one.

also - you mentioned the oil pressure. the oil pressure guage is basicly useless until the engine & oil is up to temp. its ALWAYS pegs when cold.

I think that grey crap is ground water pump impeller
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

yeah sound slike time for a coolant flush and a water pump - make sure you get one with a metal impeller
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Kohburn wrote:yeah sound slike time for a coolant flush and a water pump - make sure you get one with a metal impeller
I sure hope so. I'll replace the water pump and get it flushed. My dad, who used to own the car, had replaced the water pump twice. First one he used had the plastic impeller blades, which failed. This one is supposed to have metal blades. Is it possible I tightened the belt too much and borked the bearings?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

its possible to confuse belt squeel with bearing squeel