Ignition problems

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

I_wear_pants

Ignition problems

Post by I_wear_pants »

I bought another fiero yesterday, and I'm having some problems with the ignition. When I went and looked at the car it would start without the key in it and the owner said it had been like that for awhile. I figured no big deal I'll get the car home and sort it out there. Well I got the car home lastnight and tried to turn it on so that I could roll up the windows and it won't turn on. Then I tried it with the key and that didnt work either. I noticed that the only key I have for it is really worn, and I thought that might have something to do with it but it still doesnt explain why all of the sudden it doesnt work without the key. Any suggestions?
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

when you say it didnt work, do you mean the key/igntion switch would not turn, or it turns, but does nothing?
if it wont turn, you may just need to iwggle the steering wheel a bit. I've had another chevy do this, just needed the steering lock to engage, before the switch would turn again.
if it turned, and nothing happened, maybe the switch was left on, and ther battery drained out
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

I meant that the ignition wouldnt turn. I tried turning the wheel some, but it was really late by the time that I got the car home so I only messed with it for a minute or two. Thanks,
Matt
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

Problem solved. I bought a new ignition from napa for 15$ and it comes with two keys.