crzyone's R32 GTR updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

Re: crzyone's R32 GTR updates, parts and pics

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

That was my thought until I read wills comment. In an RX7 is has to rev. A big lazy V8 with gobs of torque and no revs would be boring in an RX7 IMO.

DIFF COOLERS? Skyline owners don't like to fuck around. I've never seen diff coolers on anything short of max effort track car that was so far from based on a street car calling it a car was joke.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Anything with a transaxle cooler has a diff cooler by implication: ZO6, ZR1, GT3, etc.

The need for diff and transmission coolers is about sustained high power throughput. Believe it or not, a speedway car needs driveline cooling more than a road race car because the speedway car keeps the engine at peak power for a greater fraction of the race, which means that the driveline is evolving more heat via parasitic loss than in the road race car.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

With a stock power GTR I wouldn't worry too much about it but at 600hp I expect to heat up the diffs and transmission.

The R34 Z-Tune came with diff coolers right from nissan. It was only tuned to 500hp but was ment to be a track car. I think I will get diff coolers, even to extend the lift of the LSD.

I'm trying to find the best option for a front LSD. I might just get a new front and rear Nismo LSD. I'm not sure what the make is in the rear right now, but it's not stock. By the clicking sound at a full lock turn it might me a mechanical LSD.
pontiackid86

Post by pontiackid86 »

Did you figure out if its an R32 or R34 yet? :ROFL:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

pontiackid86 wrote:Did you figure out if its an R32 or R34 yet? :ROFL:
This is a build thread. Keep your shit out of it if you can't contribute.
CincinnatiFiero

Where do you put the rear diff heat exchanger? I think I've seen them mounted flat on NASCARs.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/13401768-post55.html

Be sure to look at the third pic down.
CincinnatiFiero

That's why I don't want one.

Its too easy. Plus, LSx fanboys like that guy bug the fuck out of me.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah, that guy was pretty annoying.

I @$$ume it's been done before, but not enough that you could buy mount kits, an adapter plate or modified bellhousing and a clutch package. There's some decent design work in those items. You'd end up with a lighter engine with CG further back in the body than that of an RB26. Plus V8 snarl through the exhaust would piss all the Skyline fanboys off almost as much as V8 snarl from the FD's tailpipe(s).
CincinnatiFiero

LSX GTR is a like an LSX RX7, the RB26 is what made the skyline what it is. Without it, its just a AWD Nissan. Granted the Skylines were all great driving cars, as was the FD, you're still taking the soul out of a car to be a fanboy who wants easy hp. There is something to be said for Levi's car with 1/3 of the displacement making more power than a lot of LSX cars.

R33

R34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... qqyBZVVV-s

Guy adapting a Nissan Cima V8 to work with the AWD GTS-4 Skyline.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... s%3Disch:1

Can it be done, totally, would I, absolutely not.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What do they do to put the engine and trans together? adapter plate of fabbed bellhousing? Clutch package? What front diff do they use?

Is there a thread on such a conversion on a Skyline forum anywhere?

I thought AWD and technology made the GTR what it is. The RB25DET is very close to the same engine (slightly smaller and only single turbo) but found in 2WD cars. The AWD (or maybe the combo of AWD and RB power) makes the GTR what it is.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:LSX GTR is a like an LSX RX7, the RB26 is what made the skyline what it is. Without it, its just a AWD Nissan. Granted the Skylines were all great driving cars, as was the FD, you're still taking the soul out of a car to be a fanboy who wants easy hp. There is something to be said for Levi's car with 1/3 of the displacement making more power than a lot of LSX cars.
That is completely untrue. No true sports car is made by its motor, quite the opposite in fact. No one buys a Lotus for the 130hp 4 cylinder, or a Miata for its anemic 4 banger, or a RX7 for its rotary. They are bought for their low weight, well sorted out suspension/handling, and overall a great platform to begin with. The LSX is a better engine than the RB26. Turbo motors are hard to drive, especially on a race track. I've tried over and over to AutoX mine, and its hell. Sure a road course would be better, but its still more of the same. Exiting a corner 500rpm too low in a RB26 means a half second time cut, to a LSX, there likely isn't a difference.

Without the RB26, its still a sports car with a fantastic AWD platform, very well sorted out suspension, and everything else it offers. Minus the 260hp lagging top heavy 6 cylinder.

Who cares that it has 1/3 the displacement when its still physically bigger? That's the thing about specific output, its all bullshit, what does it matter? Unless you are in a displacement limited class, its size, weight, and weight distribution of the motor that should matter. Hell, more displacement is an advantage. It means broader torque curves, and in the same package more reliability.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

That's your opinion.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote: Exiting a corner 500rpm too low in a RB26 means a half second time cut, to a LSX, there likely isn't a difference.

Have you ever driven an RB26 powered car?
CincinnatiFiero

I'm certain he has.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Have you ever driven an RB26 powered car?
No, but plenty of turbo cars. And I've driven two that responded very well to low RPM throttle. Neither went past 6500rpm, and both had technology that puts the RB to shame. When the guy who owns it says its gutless off boost and lags like a DSM, that means something no?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The R32 GTR is a homologated race car. They were limited to 2.6L of displacement.

My car is laggy off of boost, but I am at full spool by 5000rpm with a 8500-9k redline. A good driver will be able to keep it in the powerband. If anyone here actually watches the Mines R34 video you can see how lag free the car is while in it's powerband.

The RB26 looks larger in that picture than it really is. The oilpan/front diff makes it look huge. It's maybe a few inches longer than the LS, but it likely heavier because of the cast iron block.

About the 900hp GTRs... my engine is built to be able to handle up to about 1000hp. I want it at 600hp for response and durability. Aa ron, the difference between my car and the ones you drove/rode in is that mine was built to be 600hp and then detuned. The R32 is a race car first.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Sooo, got the car back, have some pics

Outside view with new wing installed

67" is just perfect. This car is wiiiide

Cage view from outside the car

Painted interior with my new NRG quick release steering wheel. Without it getting in and out of the car is damn near impossible. Don't mind the dangling turbo timer lol.. it needs to be properly mounted adter the dash was re-installed.

I think it looks pretty badass

So a few things to finish up such as putting an aluminum sheet over the inner doors to cover up all the sharp edges. I am very happy with the cage, the guys did an awesome job. I will be taking it back to them when I'm ready to install the hooks for window nets, helmet and steering wheel hangers etc. Their decal will be going on my car as well as soon as they have it made.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Looks awesome Levi. How about some engine shots?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I think you may've covered this already, but how many tracks do you have around up there? Bring it down to the states sometime. I know some people that come down from Montana for Colorado tracks. Can't be that much further... :-D