crzyone's R32 GTR updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: crzyone's R32 GTR updates, parts and pics

Post by crzyone »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Looks awesome Levi. How about some engine shots?
My engine has not changed much since I took this shot. When I get my MAFs taken off I'll get some updated pics.

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:I think you may've covered this already, but how many tracks do you have around up there? Bring it down to the states sometime. I know some people that come down from Montana for Colorado tracks. Can't be that much further... :-D
Dude, that's going to happen. I want to make one big trip at least once a summer to a track in the states. Might even do it in early spring before our tracks are even open. I'll be hitting you up either late this fall or in the spring for a lapping day. BTW, Edmonton is about 9 hours north of the Canadian border lol... I'll still make the trip though.

So, more updates with my car. It has been running like crap since last fall. After I picked up the car I took it to a guy that knows the Power FC really well. He pulled a ton of fuel out of idle and we changed out the spark plugs. It idles 10x better than it did. I can't race or even boost until I get another tune. I'm already fed up with the Apexi FC so I ordered a ViPEC ecu. It's newer, runs on speed density instead of mafs and is generally trouble free. The ViPEC is $2100 and then tuning is required. Looking at around $2700 to change over but I can get some of that back by selling my FC, datalogit, hand commander and Z32 MAFs.

As soon as it arrives I'll be going back to the dyno. I have new coils which should get rid of my spark blowout above 20psi. Hoping to see 550-600whp at 29psi. We'll see, those numbers might be high.

The ViPEC installs in the stock ecu case which is handy. Really small MAP sensor
http://forums.gtrcanada.com/lightspeed- ... 41384.html
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

A friend and I were out playing with the GTR today, did some highway pulls for fun and he took some vids.

Here is a quick 2-3 gear pull. Top of 3rd is around 120ish mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJIn3ZDgiQ

A 1-3 pull, rolling without launch. I didn't even see the bike, he must have been booking it to blow by us at 120mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI2Pi8wp0z8

I did buy a vipec ecu. I will be going to a dyno to get a new tune and upping boost from 20psi to around 28. Should be pretty fun when done. :twisted:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Took the car to the weigh scales today to see how much it weighs with the cage installed.

Weight with a full tank of fuel (75l, 20gal) is 3250lbs.

It's about the same as my old GTR with full interior and 1/2 tank of gas. The body kit I installed does add weight to the car which is a down side but the added chasis stiffness should be a plus.

When I take out my hicas system I should lose about another 80lbs. It will be a challenge to get this car under 3000lbs but I think that is a reasonable goal.

The car is light compared to todays heavy bloated cars but there is room to shave off some lbs.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

crzyone wrote: I did buy a vipec ecu. I will be going to a dyno to get a new tune and upping boost from 20psi to around 28.
So the local tuner that sold me the Vipec ecu put up a vid of the launch control feature. I can say I'm excited to give it a try
http://www.lightspeedinnovations.com/up ... ontrol.mp4

My car should also be 500+awhp after my new tune. Launch control and no lift shift. Even at 500awhp it should be a beast in the 1/4.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crzyone wrote:I did buy a vipec ecu. I will be going to a dyno to get a new tune and upping boost from 20psi to around 28. Should be pretty fun when done. :twisted:
The tuner I approached suggested a Vipec V88 as an "entry level" option for my S62. Of the options he gave me, it was the one that was most complete "right out of the box" with no options necessary.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Vipec just seems to work. The fastest GTR at my track days runs one.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the MAFs. It uses a MAP sensor.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

No doubt it works. The tuner wasn't *completely* sure it would handle 4 cam VVT, but was sure it did everything else. He prefers the Pectel due to interface and software, rather than straight up capabilities of the unit.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I've been pissed off at my GTR lately so I have not been working on it at all, but tonight I finally spent a few hours on it. Sure is nice having a heated garage now.

I'm not sure if it's easier to pull the head or the whole engine. I've seen pics of the head off a GTR with the block left in the engine bay but I know it's going to be super tight to get all the bolts. I think I will attempt to pull the head by it's self first.

This isn't my car, but it's at about the same take down level mine is right now

And head off

This is my latest progress. I removed the copper Koyo rad because I have a better Sard racing aluminum rad to go in it's place. Tomorrow I will work on getting the head off. I expect bleeding knuckles trying to get all the hard to reach intake and exhaust bolts.

Sorry for the shitty phone pic. It usualy works pretty good but had a bit of smudge on the camera lense.

I will post any progress I make tomorrow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What's wrong with it?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Have to take the head in to get another cam cap sized. Still the cam cap issue. I have an assortment of cam caps from another head I bought but one will probably have to be line honed to work properly.

Called into work tonight, so there won't be progress until Monday.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Holy crap what a job. I'd rather swap out an entire FD drivetrain then do that again. Amazing how cramed a straight 6 engine bay can be!

Anyways, head is going in to get a new cam cap fitted. Plan is to have this car on the road for race season.

I've literally spent $5k on parts and tires in the last week.

1000hp ATI dampner
Profec B boost controller
HKS brake lines
GTR torque split controller
RE-11 265/35R18 tires
Multi-port water/meth injection by Aquamist
Nismo thermostat
Greddy knockoff intake plenum (we'll see what it looks like wether I use it or not)
Tomei reinforced cam cap studs (not going through this again!)
AMS front upper adjustable control arm, AMS rear upper adjustable control arm, Driftworks complete Hicas eliminator kit, Cusco tension rods and solid subframe bushings.

Decided to put as much money into suspension as into go this year. Sold my Apexi PFC and going with ViPec so I hope have a low boost setting for road racing (300-350whp) and a high boost setting (500-550whp) to drag race or have fun with occasonally.

Hope to have this thing buttoned up by May or so to get a full summer from it. :thumbup:
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

What is special about HKS brake lines?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The price you pay for stainless braded lines!

I've learned.... again.... that Skyline GTRs are one of the most espensive cars to build. Just spent $900 on an aquamist multi port water/meth injection kit. Since we have shitty 91 octane premium or 94 octane ethanol mix gas here, I should still be able to make my goal of about 550awhp with the water/meth.

ATI crank dampler... $600... bought it. Will make my engine happy. The stock dampner is like 20lbs, the ATI is around 5. Better response and a better dampner, win win except for what you pay.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

How well do RB26's deal with crankshaft harmonics?
Nissan didn't make that damper 20#'s for no reason. If the crankshaft damper isn't tuned right, your crankshaft will not live long, and it coud manifest as problems ranging from excessive main bearing wear to outright fracture of the crank.

How much R&D is behind that damper?

Also, because stainless work hardens, flare fittings on stainless tubing need extra torque to seal compared to mild steel. FYI.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Forget light when it comes to dampers. Even for a drag racer, where acceleration is all that matters, a [heavier] functional damper will out perform a light, non-functional one every time
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... index.html
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The ATI is expensive because it works. It's pretty much on the short list of things to have if you start racing with prolonged high rpms. My rotating assembly was blueprinted and balanced but because the RB26 doesn't have a full counter weight crankshaft, it does have harmonic issues. The ATI really helps. The other option is a $4k Tomei full counter weight crankshaft.

One failure that is common to crankshaft vibration on a GTR is the oil pump which is crank driven. Can break the oil pump gear and wipe out the whole engine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:The other option is a $4k Tomei full counter weight crankshaft.
Well why don't you have one of those? %)

RB26 not fully counterweighted? Wild. I thought being that cheap was limited to bleeding AMC 258's and Jeep 4.0's.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I don't think it was done to be cheap, but to keep weight down for maximum response. The engine it's self was designed with a purpose. Ceramic turbochargers, individual throttle bodies, MPFI etc etc.

There is a dry sump kit on GTRC right now that is making my trigger finger itchy....
http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/ ... ngine.html

The last great weakness of the GTR design I can solve with that system. I have a bunch of bandaids already, pan baffle, head oil return line, run a liter of oil high, R33 crank to fix the short R32 crank collar to oil pump problem etc... But for $2300 + $1000 worth of misc parts I can run full race tires without worrying about oil starvation... If I didn't already spend over $5k this spring on the car I'd likely buy one right now.

Just bought an R33 GTR transmission. The OS Gilken gearsets are designed for the larger synchros in the R33 trani so I when I do finally blow up my 3rd gear I'm going for a major upgrade.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:I don't think it was done to be cheap, but to keep weight down for maximum response. The engine it's self was designed with a purpose. Ceramic turbochargers, individual throttle bodies, MPFI etc etc.

There is a dry sump kit on GTRC right now that is making my trigger finger itchy....
http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/ ... ngine.html

The last great weakness of the GTR design I can solve with that system. I have a bunch of bandaids already, pan baffle, head oil return line, run a liter of oil high, R33 crank to fix the short R32 crank collar to oil pump problem etc... But for $2300 + $1000 worth of misc parts I can run full race tires without worrying about oil starvation... If I didn't already spend over $5k this spring on the car I'd likely buy one right now.

Just bought an R33 GTR transmission. The OS Gilken gearsets are designed for the larger synchros in the R33 trani so I when I do finally blow up my 3rd gear I'm going for a major upgrade.
I thought Skylines were indestructible! %) What do you mean "weakness"?! Godzilla has no weaknesses!

I didn't do the design work, but my personal opinion is that the fully counterweighted crank would have given the engine *BETTER* response, despite being heavier. The fully counterweighted crank could carry its mass closer to the centerline and have a lower moment of inertia.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

No heavy crank throws to accelerate. Less material at the outside edge, less MOI.

The GTR doesn't have that many weaknesses, but every weakness it has there is an aftermarket solution to fix. Dry sump isn't necessary, but when you throw on a set of race tires, any wet sump will have oil starvation problems.