Some N* questions

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Some N* questions

Post by crzyone »

I will be picking up a 03 caddy STS N* this week and have a few general engine swap questions.

First, I plan on using an aftermarket PCM to run this motor, I was wondering if the 03s had VVT? I believe chrfab sells computers to run any N*, I'm just wondering which one this is.

Second, my GT is a 4 speed and I was wondering whats involved in switching over to a 5 speed? I will get a getrag from a fwd car and Rodney's kit. As far as I know I will need 5 speed shifter cables and shifter, is there anything else that I would need? Can isuzu 5 speed shifter cables and shifter be used on a getrag transmission? They would be much easier to find locally. I imagine I would also need a getrag slave cylinder?

I plan on getting spec's aluminum flywheel with a N* bolt pattern, but is it possible to use a cast iron flywheel? I imagine people just get them plugged and re-drilled correct? Did that to my 4.9 flywheel, didn't exactly feel safe and I will be getting a lot more rpm from the N*.

Thats all the questions I have for now until I pick up my motor.

Thanks
Levi
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the first thing you should do is fucking decide just which route you are going to take with your car.

You change it every five minutes. :blah5:

:scratch:
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I know... I took my ps pump off my 3.4 yesterday and discovered the ps mounting point completely broken off. This I assume is from mounting the dog bone to the engine lift point which also attaches to the ps pump bracket.... So I got fed up and said I would take the N*.

An entire 03 STS K member with trani and engine for $1000 is too good an offer to pass up

So, this is the route I will be taking. For now.. I think ;)
Last edited by crzyone on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:the first thing you should do is fucking decide just which route you are going to take with your car.

You change it every five minutes. :blah5:

:scratch:
Next thing you know, he'll be throwing a roof wing on.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I was going to do a N* swap anyways, I had one before but the delivery truck that was transporting it was hit by a semi. The accident rolled the delivery truck and my motor went rolling down a hill. Thats when I decided to just play with what I have.

I said to the seller if they get another N*, tell me and I'll buy it. I'm just glad they had one available before I started putting thousands into a turbo 3.4

N* has always been my favorite motor for a fiero, they are just normally cost prohibitive. I would not pay $4k for a used miled out motor which is what most yards around here are asking. $1000 for a complete drivetrain from a 03 STS is perfect.

I will never own a roof wing, but I am partial to chop tops. :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Your thread on fagland got decent info on it.

Controlling the roller cam engines is different than controlling the flat tappet engines because of the crank sensor and coil per cylinder arrangement.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Will, you have true duals on your N* correct? Do you run any kind of crossover? How does it sound?

In this pic of my motor you can see 2 separate pipes, I was just thinking of putting some 2.5" mandrels and 2 mufflers and running true dual exhaust. I have the bottom of my trunk cut out so I have some room to play with.

Thanks!

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah, true duals, no crossover.

Sounds like this: http://will.saturnet.net/pictures/FIEROvs300ZX.wmv

Future plans include equal length headers and X-pipe.
V8Archie

Post by V8Archie »

Last edited by V8Archie on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Thanks will, it sounds pretty good. Can't hardly hear the 300ZX that you were racing. Someday I would like to have headers but I think this swap will cost enough for now. After I get it in and running for awhile I may look into it. Looks like the computer to run my motor will end up costing $2500US, ouch.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Will, got another question. I'm trying to separate the auto trani from the N*. I have 4 bolts off on the bellhousing, the 2 top ones and the 2 bottom ones. The transmission will not separate from the engine but I can't see any other bolts holding it on. The water log looks like it attaches where the 2 middle bolts should be...

Have any pictures of the bellhousing on your N*? Its going to be something obvious I'm sure.

Thanks!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

There's a bracket on the bottom that connects the bottom of the trans to the engine oil pan.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:Looks like the computer to run my motor will end up costing $2500US, ouch.
PM sent.
whipped

Post by whipped »

sweet motor. Even sweeter price. I guess you can't use the 7730 like I am because it's so different? Come on Will! We can figure this computer out!! :cheers:

okay, i'll :stfu: now.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Thanks Will, I will go take a look. PM sent back

Thanks, it is a nice motor, clean looking. I like the coil per cylinder setup. The price was definitly right.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Since this is the thread of N* questions, I have a couple.

What do you use for the oil pressure sender? stock fiero one?

Going with the 7730 ecm, I don't need the MAF, right, since it's speed density? Should I remove it? Just ignore it and hook the filter and intake to it?

Did you have to notch the right side decklid hinge at all? I think it comes real close. Haven't checked fully, but it would be nice to get started on that if I have to.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The Caddy oil pressure sender won't drive a gauge. Use an Aurora sender... it has the same electrical connector and threads as the Caddy sender but should drive a gauge.

MAF is un necessary. Do whatever you want with it. If you leave the housing on, remove the sensor so that it's not obstructing airflow.

Right side decklid hinge does need to be notched, as does the dogbone mount at the rear of the engine compartment. If you have an '88, you'll also have to take a chunk out of the right strut tower.