Just got back from New York

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Just got back from New York

Post by crzyone »

The wife and I just got back from New York, was nice to see it again. We were there last year as well when we took a cruise that left from Ney York, this year we stayed there and toured around a bit.

Here are a few pictures, I will update this with more pictures tomorrow when I have more time.

The famous Coca Cola sign on Broadway

We went to the huge halloween parade, we were in it and we accidently crossed a police line and ended up being 10 feet from Gene Simmons in his full Deamon costume, it was pretty cool. Elvira was also right there.

Will post more later.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

We took the subway to the World Trade Center, there is not much left. Most of the rubble is cleaned up, just a huge hole where the basements used to be. There was a small memorial there, most of the area was blocked off so you could not see the crater. Here are a few pics of what it looks like today.

Only piece of debris left, might be from the famous building 7.

This building looked like it was damaged and was under repair. It was the only building with visible damage. There were still bits of concrete rubble on the streets where the street cleaners could not get to them.

Other towers that surrounded the WTC.

The small memorial set up at the site. There was a timeline and a bunch of pictures of the rubble.

Another shot of Broadway at night

There are huge cathedrals all around Manhattan, they are pretty cool looking

Just a random picture

A shitty picure from the top of the Empire State building.

Random picture from Central Park

I will post more pictures if anyone is actually interested in this stuff. It was a neat trip, was neat to ride the subway and see all the famous landmarks. We stayed at the Hilton right off Boradway which was a very nice hotel and walking distance from everything. We saw 2 plays while there, Evil Dead the musical on Halloween night at 11pm and the next day we saw Spamalot which was pretty much Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Both of them were pretty awesome.
S8n

Post by S8n »

Cool pics. I've never had the chance to go through the city, just the airport (La Guardia).
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Awesome pictures. I'd really like to visit there someday.
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
product1620

Post by product1620 »

the second to last pic, is my favorite. NYC is cool to visit once in a while, but I wouldn't live there; its probably the dirtiest city ive ever been in. Is it just me or does NYC's skyline look soooo cluttered, like there was no thought process in where or how the buildings were placed, but if you look at other cities, like Charlotte, LA, even Atlanta, the buildings actually look planned out, and flow together. Maybe its just me? :scratch:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well, nyc is a very old city, a lot of the buildings were built in the 20s and 30s. The newer taller skyscrapers look like they were built around the older buildings. Even Edmonton looks more planned out, but the downtown area was pretty much built in the 80s all at once.

It is a dirty city, and some areas plain stink. Manhattan is a very crouded island, I would not like to live there either.

Manhattan is a neat place to visit, but New Jersey, the bronx, Queens and the surrounding area is just plain scary. Last year my wife and I were walking around New Jersey at night and there were some areas we would walk a mile just to avoid.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

crzyone wrote:Well, nyc is a very old city, a lot of the buildings were built in the 20s and 30s. The newer taller skyscrapers look like they were built around the older buildings. Even Edmonton looks more planned out, but the downtown area was pretty much built in the 80s all at once.

It is a dirty city, and some areas plain stink. Manhattan is a very crouded island, I would not like to live there either.

Manhattan is a neat place to visit, but New Jersey, the bronx, Queens and the surrounding area is just plain scary. Last year my wife and I were walking around New Jersey at night and there were some areas we would walk a mile just to avoid.
Oh dude, did you hole up in Newark too? That was the worst city I've been to I think.. Or at least dared to venture around in.. Maybe I was in the wrong area, I dunno, but it was bad.. Tried to get directions, guy wouldn't open the door to help me.. While Kennedys Fried Chicken and Liquor looked appealing, nobody would go get some with me.

Hey, where was that building you saw near the WTC (the damaged one).. I can't remember off hand exactly, but there was one damaged to the 'north' side of the wtc (I say north when you look at your average map of manhattan.. I don't know if it's actually north).. Was beside a large greyish/orange building that had something written down the side in engraved stone/cement (Something of the United States maybe?). We were trying to figure out if that was from 9/11 or something unrelated.. I think they had a giant tarp or something covering the side facing the wtc..
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yeah, we fly in and out of Newark airport. It is a scary place at night.

That building was the only one that looked like the only one that is damaged, probibly the one you are talking about.
mysticfire6602

Post by mysticfire6602 »

you were 2 hours away from me :thumbleft:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

mysticfire6602 wrote:you were 2 hours away from me :thumbleft:
I'm sorry.....

:blah5:
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

In that picture there si a beige building, and then the tall black building, but is that a smaller black building thats all messed up between them with a tarp type thing hanging over it?
product1620

Post by product1620 »

JohnnyK wrote:
crzyone wrote:Well, nyc is a very old city, a lot of the buildings were built in the 20s and 30s. The newer taller skyscrapers look like they were built around the older buildings. Even Edmonton looks more planned out, but the downtown area was pretty much built in the 80s all at once.

Oh dude, did you hole up in Newark too? That was the worst city I've been to I think.. Or at least dared to venture around in.. Maybe I was in the wrong area, I dunno, but it was bad.. Tried to get directions, guy wouldn't open the door to help me.. While Kennedys Fried Chicken and Liquor looked appealing, nobody would go get some with me.

Hey, where was that building you saw near the WTC (the damaged one).. I can't remember off hand exactly, but there was one damaged to the 'north' side of the wtc (I say north when you look at your average map of manhattan.. I don't know if it's actually north).. Was beside a large greyish/orange building that had something written down the side in engraved stone/cement (Something of the United States maybe?). We were trying to figure out if that was from 9/11 or something unrelated.. I think they had a giant tarp or something covering the side facing the wtc..
if you think Newark is bad, then you should check out Camden. :la:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

JohnnyK wrote:In that picture there si a beige building, and then the tall black building, but is that a smaller black building thats all messed up between them with a tarp type thing hanging over it?
Possibly. I did not walk around that side of the building and the fence around the WTC site was pretty high. It could have been there and I would not have seen it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Here are some other pictures of that area, the building you are thinking about in these at all?

We thought some other big emergency was going on, while we were on Broadway there were a ton of fire trucks and probibly 50 cop cars all racing down the road. Was interesting.

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Probably heard they were throwing out the day old donuts at Winchell's.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

Possibly... If you're looking at those pics, is "north" (Central park) straight ahead (albeit a few miles up)? If so it might be that big black one on teh left (thats the one you were talkin gabout, correct?) or that smaller black one in the middle.. You didn't walk up beside the beige building did you (between the black on and the beige).. I'm trying to think if that is the beige one I'm thinking of. Something was written down the side of it. I can't remember though.. "Commerce of United States" or something. THats not it, but something similar..
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That is looking North, and Central Park is quite a long subway ride away. Its amazing how big Manhattan is, Central Park seems to be atleast a mile or 2 long its self.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

hah.. Oh I know it's far away, I just meant direction.. We got off in Madison square.. then walked around there (empire, etc), then walked down 5th, I stopped in and said hi to Rupert at the Hello Deli, then we walked up to Central Park so I could see my ghostbusters building.. Bascially had manhattan all covered on foot in less than 6 hours.. But then we were tired so took a subway down to wtc..
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The building in the far right in this pic looks like the building that was in Ghost Busters. Have not seen the movie in a while so I can not confirm that though.

Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

Love the pics, keep posting them. Never been there, need to get there some day.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636