Whinning alternator belt.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

SGT.ROCK

Whinning alternator belt.

Post by SGT.ROCK »

Seems like every Fiero that I have owned has had a loud alternator belt.The car I have now has the V-6 and every time I start it the belt squeels a little bit then goes away and all is well til I start turning lights on and runnin the blower for the heat on hi and stuff then you can here it want to squeel.Is this a Fiero thing or is there something wrong with my charging system?The belt doesnt feel too tight or loose and the gauge reads normal.Any ideas?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

You need to get hte belt tighter. Its slips when a load is placed on the alternator.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:You need to get hte belt tighter. Its slips when a load is placed on the alternator.
Can the belt be 'too tight' ?

When I installed the replacement alternator one month before my engine failed, I made it as tight as I could squeeze channellock pliers on the thing.

In any case, I'm certain my water pump is dee-eee-dee dead, and will install a new one. BTW, finally got funds to get a new engine and it should be ordered by the end of the week.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

If you have $80, do this...
Idler pulley and longer belt available from Rodney Dickman.

At the very least, get a Goodyear Gatorback belt. Available at Autozone.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I've installed the Rodney piece on my sister's V6, it works great and is easy to install. I'd recommend just getting that.

But if you have some abilities, you might be able to build something like this for cheap and leave the alt in one spot..