Individual Throttle Body Intake for V6

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Individual Throttle Body Intake for V6

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

There formerly was some RTV around the crack... that's what people were seeing as the crack in the other pictures. That RTV has been removed.

It was definitely a 1- or very few-off manifold, as you can see by the glue holding the injector bungs in place.

I have about 4 velocity stacks that ALSO have injector bungs... they wanted to make sure this engine had enough fuel.

The manifold has places for 4 coolant connections--front and back of each head.

There is no good place to feed idle air to all 6 and no good place to sense manifold pressure, so it would need a good bit of work in order to function. I can visualize making a small plenum about the size of a pack of cigarettes and attaching IAC and MAP sensor to that, then plumbing it via tubes to all 6 runners.

Oh yeah... almost forgot... This manifold is for ALUMINUM heads, not iron. That's what makes it so rare. I don't know if it's for Gen II or Gen III heads... maybe someone with more experience with those can tell?
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

Will be sweet if you can get it to work! :thumbleft:
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

can you say throttle responce??

those paired with light flywheel and 4:10 final drive would be awesome.

Do you own those??
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah it's mine... I picked up an auction for JM a couple of years ago.

This setup is for Gen II (or maybe Gen III?) heads, NOT for iron heads. That's what makes it so rare.

I ought to put it on my beater... imagine a Pontiac 6000 with 6 velocity stacks sticking out of the hood...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Its for gen 2, but can be mated to gen 3 heads.

On the intake side only the roof and I think the floor are in different locations.

These can be matched on the heads or intake not sure which one to port to match.

I know some guys have used gen 3 intakes on gen 2 heads and such like that.

the ports dont' match up perfectly, but the moutning bolts and all that do. Nothing a little air grinder cant' fix though really.

Thanks for posting those pics Will.

the pistons I am using with my turbo build will give 12:! compression with aluminum heads. That intake on a high compression motor would scoot really good.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Wouldn't it, though? I'd been thinking the same thing for a while...

I wonder how much the new 3.9 litre 60 degree block would cost...

No sweat... You're welcome. I know you've been pestering me for them for, like, ever now...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

hmmm I know there are injectors that fit those bungs but where would you get them?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'm sure I'll have time to figure that out in the three years or so it's going to be before I start to build that engine.

So what kind of injectors are they? Or just funky weird plates to hold them?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have seen bungs like that on RFRE manifolds for the iron heads. I have a pic of it here somewhere. Hell maybe its even uploaded.

But they can be purchased.

I found the pics. You can see the injectors and rail here. This was a RFRE setup for iron heads. As far as I know RFRE still has a bunch of these intakes left and are still for sale.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah, I've seen those pics before. That's a nice setup that almost seems made for the Fiero. To bad GM has a commitment to mediocrity.
I was told that my manifold is an RFRE prototype or limited production piece.

Are they just normal injectors with a groove for the plate? How is the plate attached to the injector?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you know I was reading and if you use a TEC 2 system, they dont' use a map sensor. TPS from what I understand.

I know thats now what you want to do but hey something else.

Also I wonder how one would then route the coolant. and thermo housings. there doesnt' appear to be a provision on there anywhere. Or maybe I just dont' see it?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:you know I was reading and if you use a TEC 2 system, they dont' use a map sensor. TPS from what I understand.

Also I wonder how one would then route the coolant. and thermo housings. there doesnt' appear to be a provision on there anywhere. Or maybe I just dont' see it?
You can set up a MAP sensor... just need to make a vacuum manifold to get a reference from each cylinder.
TPS only engine management is called Alpha-N... it's not for street engines.

The two hoses coming off the one end of the intake are for coolant. There are two plugs on the other end so that you can take coolant from both ends of the heads and control cylinder head temps better.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I told you to reword it shuan

:bootyshake:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:you know I was reading and if you use a TEC 2 system, they dont' use a map sensor. TPS from what I understand.

You can set up a MAP sensor... just need to make a vacuum manifold to get a reference from each cylinder.
TPS only engine management is called Alpha-N... it's not for street engines.

The two hoses coming off the one end of the intake are for coolant. There are two plugs on the other end so that you can take coolant from both ends of the heads and control cylinder head temps better.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Its for gen 2, but can be mated to gen 3 heads.

On the intake side only the roof and I think the floor are in different locations.

These can be matched on the heads or intake not sure which one to port to match.

I know some guys have used gen 3 intakes on gen 2 heads and such like that.

the ports dont' match up perfectly, but the moutning bolts and all that do. Nothing a little air grinder cant' fix though really.

Thanks for posting those pics Will.

the pistons I am using with my turbo build will give 12:! compression with aluminum heads. That intake on a high compression motor would scoot really good.

Got any good writeups on mixing/matching Gen II/Gen III hardware?
Aren't there two versions of Gen III heads? What's the difference and which years/apps got which ones?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Oh Oh Oh I want to show off my Independant throttle body setup!

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

:afrocool:

:cheers:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Come on man, let the cat out of the bag :thumbleft:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

hmm back to life? I wonder if this has anything to do with shaun selling the enterprise
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Will,
If i remember correctly its just a simple port match on the gen2/3 head to the gen 2/3 intake. (as they are interchangable)

The "2 versions" of the gen3 head onlyh difference was the slightly larger intake valve on the 2000+ 3100 and 3400 head.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Individual Throttle Body Intake for V6

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Hey I couldnt find my thread so I thought I would just post in this one.

I have purchased some parts for this intake, and plan on actually getting it setup for EFI. This is what I bought.

MSD-2135
MSD-2145
MSD-2155

FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312