Best way to replace the engine?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

Best way to replace the engine?

Post by Starlite528 »

Getting a new engine for my 88 v6.

Is there a guide or something that can help me and my friend in replacing the engine?
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

There are two ways to take the engine out, it all depends on your preference. One is out the top, the other is to drop the craddle. Most prefer to drop the craddle. You need to disconnect the battery and drain all the fluids before you begin. Unbolt the slave cylinder from the transmission and hang it aside. You need to remove the center console and unplug the ECM wiring. You only need the wiring that passes through the driver's unplugged. You can then pass this into the engine compartment. You need to disconnect the throttle cable and shifter cables. You will also need to unscrew the C500 connection next to the battery and unbolt all the ground wires from the engine to the frame, etc. Loosen the rear lug nuts and jack the rear of the car as high as it will go. Some people like to put the front wheels up on ramps, then jack the rear up. Unbolt the 3 nuts that hold the top of the struts, not the center one, and the dog bone. Disconnect the coolant hoses from the coolant pipes to the engine. Remove the rear wheels. You might want to remove the rear inner fenders and splash guards for more room to work on the car.
You can now loosen the craddle bolts, make sure you have something to help you lower the craddle in place before you remove the bolts. I use an engine hoist. You might need to cut the front craddle bolts as they tend to seize from rust. Once the craddle is down, you can slide it out the side. You can leave your AC connected if you drop the rear of the craddle first and unbolt the AC compressor and hang it out of the way, before removing the craddle completely. Make sure to check that all that needs to be disconnected is disconnected before you drop the craddle all the way.
That is basically all there is to it.
I treat others as they treat me
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Thanks.
Which one is the 'slave cylinder'? Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is the 3 speed auto.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Doesn't have a slave cylinder.
Has transmission cooler lines instead.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

don't forget to unhook the brake lines before dropping the cable.

Not that I know from experience. I'm pretty sure I've never met anyone that's forgotten to unhook the brake lines and sprayed brake fluid all over myself.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

So, ordered the engine on Monday, and was expecting it this Thursday.

It came today (tuesday). Turns out that it actually shipped from California, instead of Texas. Still have to wait until January to install it.

Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

Forgot to add, you need to unhook the emergency brake cables and unbolt the rear calipers and hang them out of the way, that way you don't need to bleed the brakes when you reassemble the car. Keep the struts bolted to the knuckles, that way you won't need to do a re-alignment of the rear, and the car should be driveable when you reassemble.
The slave cylinder is for a manual transmission car. The auto tranny cars need the tranny cooling lines disconnected as mentioned above.
The tips I have given you will make it easier on you when you reassemble the car. You will only need to burp your cooling system and add oil to your engine to get it going once you have it all back in and connected.
Take your time and don't force things, that is when they break. Use a good pebetrating/lubricating oil such as PB Blaster or kroil to soak all the nuts and bolts daily for a week before you attempt to take it apart. This way thing will come apart more easily.
An engine swap can be done in a weekened, by yourself, if you have the right tools and knowledge.
I treat others as they treat me
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

The right tools and a place to do the work is something I do not have. That is why I have to wait until January, when I trailer the car down to Los Angeles where a friend and I can work on it in his garage.

Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Dude, give Chris and the crew at WCF a call, they can install it for you, or at the very least, guide you in installing it yourself. Relatively speaking, they're right down the street from you...

West Coast Fiero.... 310-305-4111 or sales@westcoastfiero.com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I offered to provide help if they need it..
As long as Starlite's friend has a hoist and a dolly its a piece of cake.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

He does have a hoist, and a dolly is easy enough to come up with.