Rear Sway Bar

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

txf

Rear Sway Bar

Post by txf »

I have to check. Who here has a rear sway bar bolted to the Lower Control Arms on a Pre 88?

I'm asking cause I personally think it's a BAD idea.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I am using '88 sway bar bracket swapped left for right and ~11" end links. I still bolt my bar to the bottom of the cradle... I just have it a few inches further back than usual so that the end loops are not under the control arms... I'll see if I can find a pic...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

txf

Post by txf »

Exactly what I'm talking about! Pretty cool using the square tubing.
txf

Post by txf »

How close is the lowest part to the ground?
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

Now that is creative! Have you had any mechanical problems since you installed it that way? (The brace is holding up? )
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Why do you think it is a BAD idea?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

txf wrote:How close is the lowest part to the ground?
The bar sits prett much level when the car's on the ground. I've only lowered it an inch in the rear (have Koni coil overs now)...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

eHoward wrote:Why do you think it is a BAD idea?
I would guess for bending loads on the control arm.
Also, mounted to the struts as mine is, the same bar will give ~40% more roll stiffness because of the improved motion ratio over control arm mounting.
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Fri May 13, 2005 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
txf

Post by txf »

Cause the pinch ball joint isn't made to resist vertical movement. just side to side. this is also due to it not needing to support the Tension of the strut. Look at the diagrams. This is mainly effected IF you don't have the pinch bolt torqued to spec.

Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

There have also been people who have had ball joints fail during cornering with the control arm setup.

Any GOOD ball joint shouldn't be prone to this, but hell, A sway bar where it isn't supposed to be - with 20 year old ball joints, LETS DO IT!
txf

Post by txf »

Hmmm how do the Yoko's ride, Will?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

txf wrote:Cause the pinch ball joint isn't made to resist vertical movement. just side to side. this is also due to it not needing to support the Tension of the strut. Look at the diagrams. This is mainly effected IF you don't have the pinch bolt torqued to spec.

I hear what you're saying, BUT... GM bolted the sway bars to the control arms on A-bodies (and maybe X-bodies, too) which have exactly the same suspension setup.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

txf wrote:Hmmm how do the Yoko's ride, Will?
Ride? What's ride?

Those are Kumhos (Ecsta Supra 712's)... They're pretty good for the money, but they're still cheap tires.
I'm running Firehawk SZ50-EP's now and they are MUCH better... well worth the 50% increase in cost.
txf

Post by txf »

Geez that's right. I remember the tread pattern as a pattern we had on our Eclipse at one point. But we had Kumho Supras first then went to Yokos Second.

Good ole Discount Tire
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I ran the supra's as well, but upgraded to the Kuhmo MX's.......MUCH better.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
notyourmomma

Post by notyourmomma »

txf wrote:Cause the pinch ball joint isn't made to resist vertical movement. just side to side. this is also due to it not needing to support the Tension of the strut. This is mainly effected IF you don't have the pinch bolt torqued to spec.
Seems moot since the 88 used this configuration. That's an 88 sway bar, right? Not a recycled front bar? Heck of a drop on those sway bar links, and rigid as all get out.
Above post may be altered, You must be this tall to ride, not for the elderly or nursing moms, may cause blurred vision and slurred speech, offer may not be combined with other specials see store for details.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Recycled front bar from early car... just using '88 brackets on the struts.

It's a nice setup. I really like it. The tubing is aluminum and weighs almost nothing. With the rubber boots on them, the rod ends are holding up pretty well, too. They're hardened steel units that cost $25 each from McMaster car.
I have a set of 8Shark pillow blocks that will go on when I get the car back on the road.

As you may be able to see in the pictures, I also have aluminum cradle bushings and hard suspension bushings (UHMW).
ZeroC

Old Europe

Post by ZeroC »

Jinxmutt wrote:There have also been people who have had ball joints fail during cornering with the control arm setup.

Any GOOD ball joint shouldn't be prone to this, but hell, A sway bar where it isn't supposed to be - with 20 year old ball joints, LETS DO IT!
Mine Rear Bar Works Great ...Never Had Any Problems ..Maybe Others Car's Need So Ball Joint Work :) hmmmmmm
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

well, I see what you are saying with the balljoint & pinch bolt. the suspension/a-arm is ALWAYS being pushed down by the weight of the car, so the sway bar NEVER has to PULL the a-arm down, and the up direction, it has a shoulder, so it wont be loading the pinch bolt either.