Bumpy Ride/Vibration

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

Bumpy Ride/Vibration

Post by Starlite528 »

I know my tires are good, and I've had the balance on them checked. I had the brakes done recently too. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but I don't know if it is coming from the left or the right. The vibration is there regardless of speed, of course it speeds up as I do.

Wheel bearings?
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Hows your alignment?
<Insert Sig Here>
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

If I weren't broke, I would have it checked. It doesn't pull one way or the other.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I don't see how any alignment setting could possibly cause vibration.. but worn ball joints/tie rods/bushings certainly will.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Series8217 wrote:I don't see how any alignment setting could possibly cause vibration.. but worn ball joints/tie rods/bushings certainly will.
How is this?

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Starlite528 wrote:
Series8217 wrote:I don't see how any alignment setting could possibly cause vibration.. but worn ball joints/tie rods/bushings certainly will.
How is this?
Alignment is just affecting which way your wheels are oriented. The only way it would cause vibration is if you have radical toe that is causing the contact patch to be pulled out or in until it breaks loose and snaps back til it grabs again. Yours tires would get pretty hot pretty quick :-P

If you have worn ball joints or tie rods or bushings you could have suspension components just flopping around, so to speak.
If its a very regular vibration and you can even feel it at low speeds, I would say you've probably got a VERY worn or damaged wheel bearing, or a bent or damaged CV joint. Otherwise it could be a bent rim.
Jack up each corner of the car and see if you can find play in any of the wheels. Grab the top and bottom and try to push and pull them. Do the same at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. If there's slop anywhere you've got parts to replace. Also rotate the wheels by hand with the car jacked up so you can feel if the brakes are grabbing anywhere or if the bearing feels rough.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

I hope wheel bearings aren't too expensive :P

I can feel it directly in the steering wheel, so I'm 89% sure it's coming from the front, so the CV joints should be okay.....I hope. This car is gonna break me, but I'll never get rid of it.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Could also be the rack bushing. Check by trying to move the right inner tie rod end up and down.

For the 3-9 shake test, install a helper in the driver's seat, have her remove her blouse and bra and hold the steering wheel against the steering wheel lock. The slop in the wheel lock can mask slop in the steering linkage.

For '84-'87 cars, wheel bearings are cheap, but a PITA to replace (need to be packed with grease and adjusted.
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

Will, what happened to your Avatar?
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

NWS
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

After driving the freeway today, I payed careful attention to when the vibration was strongest and when it is weakest. It seemed to vibrate a lot when I am turning in a left curve. Going right seems to lessen the vibration to almost nothing.

Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

That sounds like a loose left wheel bearing. You might want to pull the wheel and rotor off to check the bearings and their races to see if they need adjustment or replacement. You should also make sure your tires are properly inflated, especially if you have low profile tires. It is hard to tell if they are low on air by just looking at them and the car will handle funny if they are.
I treat others as they treat me
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

They're normal sized tires. I wasn't aware that wheel bearings could be adjusted, but it's been 19 years and I think I'll replace all four at the same time.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Certainly check the wheel bearings, but I wouldn't be so sure it's them. I think your problem is somewhere in the left front corner, though.

Being an old worn out car, the problem may be a combination of several things.
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

What I meant by adjustment is that you need to check them to make sure they are tightened properly. It sounds like you have a loose or worn bearing.
I treat others as they treat me
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

this is an easy one, check each wheel at a time by jacking it up until it is off the ground, then simply grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try and push and pull into and away from the fender.

If there is a worn bearing or ball joint you will feel it "clunk". Also if you do the same to the fore and aft of the wheel, it will show any worn tow links ( rear ) or inner and outer tie-rods ( front ).
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

100% positron that it's the front left wheel bearing. I had it up on a jack today and it clunked from top to bottom.

I also hooked my 18 volt cordless dewalt and a 3/4" socket and spun the tire, and could hear it grinding away at a point, same place on every revolution, forwards and back. Not only could I hear it, but it appeared to move up and down slightly when it spun.

How much do wheel bearings for these cost on average? I sure hope the spindle or whatever isn't messed up to hell from this.

Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

hmmm, I think for the 2 bearings, 2 races, and a grease seal its gonna be under 25 bucks
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

When I did mine it was about $25 for both sides.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

I went to NAPA, Kragen, and CQ. None of them had wheel bearings for the front OR rear, only the 'hub assembly' for the rear (88), and that's a hundred bucks.

WTF?