Fuel problem HELP

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

teamhavok2

Fuel problem HELP

Post by teamhavok2 »

I have a v6 2.8 stock motor and it won't fire up and keeps choking. Then after a while struggle it will finally fire up (after lots and lots of engine turn overs) and lag like crazy acting like it's going to stall. If i give it gas it imidately stalls and if i try to wait it out eventually it will stall. the in tank fuel pump is new and the whole ignition system is too. Need some help to get my buddy on the road.
Silver 85 GT-scratch that
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

do you know your fuel pressure?
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

No but i'm getting the pressure sensor tomorrow. The EGR tub is a little loose but i don't think that's the problem. The car has progressivly gotten worse. how hard would it be to change or clean the fuel injectors. The car has been sitting for a while. Oh and when i get the pressure gauge what should my fuel pressure be?
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What did you replace in your ignition? Is your TIMING set correctly?
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

we just did the timingignition coil, modual, pick uop coil, cap and rotor, plugs and wires. also has a new fuel pump.
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Did you replace the fuel filter?
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

teamhavok2 wrote:we just did the timingignition coil, modual, pick uop coil, cap and rotor, plugs and wires. also has a new fuel pump.
You have checked timing?
You did the pickup coil? Did you take the distributor out?

[moving to Maintenance/Shaun Hammit is the Ladies' Man]
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

yep replaced it to a new(er) distributor and redid the timing. With a fuel filter would it be lagging so much? it seems to be very bad. dosn't fire hi so i guess that could be it. it seems to fire light then normal then light. I'll check that. SO what should my fuel pressure be at?
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

it seems to run the 1st and last piston but all the others just move after those fire. What should the pressure be at when i check the fuel? and how hard is it to take out or clean the injectors?
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

Replace that filter. They're like $5.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

I'm with Will. You probably messed up the timing when you pulled the distributor. I was giving my car a tune up a few months ago and did the same thing. I was sure I put it back exactly where it was supposed to go, but I was wrong.
<Insert Sig Here>
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

a dieing fuel filter will cause down power and sometimes detonation at higher rpm -- but timing being off can also seem to run ok under light throttle and low rpm then bugger all to hell when throttling it
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

When you did your timing did you jumper the "A" and "B" terminals of the ALDL together. There is a special procedure to check the timing.
I treat others as they treat me
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

I had two guys do it by ear. so i think timing is ok. I changed the fuel filter and it's gotten worse since then. It now dosn't fire up at all. Every once in a while it will fire but will not run. it used to be it would fire untill it was firing fast enough to start then run like shit, but now it dosn't come close to running.
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You CAN NOT set timing by ear unless you have jumpered the appropriate pins in the ALDL connector. Did you do this?

The reason you can not is that the ECM will adjust timing to maintain idle speed. Jumpering the correct pins in the ALDL connector tells the ECM to hold timing static so it can be adjusted manually.

Also, timing by ear is not adviseable on an EFI engine because base timing is not what the ECM uses to control idle. The ECM can command the timing to advance or retard from base timing in order to maintain idle stability. You can not set the timing by ear with the ECM controlling it, and when you do set it by ear, the advance for best idle may not be the correct setting for base timing.

If base timing is off, then the ECM could be delivering more or less timing than it actually thinks it is.

So... exactly HOW did you set the timing?
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

Apearantly not the right way. So the adl pins are those the teeth on the side where the belt is? i was told to get that to 5 degrees. So anyone want to give me a step by step on how to do the timing?
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The ALDL connector is inside the car. Remove the black trim panel around the cigarette lighter and the ALDL connector will be behind it. I don't have a diagram of the pins handy, but I'm sure someone else will step up with it.
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

wait you have to set timing from the electrical connector next to the cig lighter? What would you put the teeth at 5 degrees first then move the distributor till some connector tells me it's in place? so i need a timing light and there's no way around it?
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You need to put a jumper (a short piece of wire) between two of the pins in that connector. This puts the computer into "field service mode" which means that it isn't doing anything with the timing. You can only set the base timing (turn the distributor) once that has been done. Yes, you will need a timing light.

Do you understand how the fuel injection computer controls ignition timing?
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Harbor Freight has a timing light for $13. It's probably disposable, but hey, it's $13.