Fuel problem HELP

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

whit the car off, use a paperclip to connect the two pins that are closest to the passenger side of the car, on the bottom row. Now you can go to your engine and set your timing.

If the distributor hold down bolt is loose (15mm) you can rotate it counterclockwise about half an inch, and see if the engine will 'want' to start better. The teeth that you talk about are the degree marks, and the top of the tooth to the bottom of the tooth is 2 degrees, and you want ten degrees. TEN, as printed on the VECI label under the decklid.

Use a timing light. If you don't have one, a friendly neighbor might have one, or you might be able to rent one from the auto parts store. The mark on the vibration damper/harmonic balancer will appear to stand still at one of the marks, after you get your engine running on its own, rotate the distributor until the fat mark is holding steady towards the bottom (i think) mark closest to the rear of the car. I know it's hard to see, but I did it just the other day.

If you can't get it to run by rotating the distributor a few degrees, you're gonna need to get piston 1 to top dead center. One way to do this is to take the spark plug out of cylinder one, and either use a compression check thingy, or use a plastic plug that fits the mounting hole for the spark plug (just larger than the socket you use to take the plug out). unplug the coil wire to the distributor. Go to the key and try to turn your engine in the shortest possible times you can, just a little jerk of the key. When cyl1 is TDC on the compression stroke, the plastic plug will fire out of the hole with a loud pop, assuming the plastic plug is a snug fit.

The other way is to remove the rear rocker arm cover and look at the rocker arms. When 1 is TDC, the second rocker arm from the right will just have closed the intake valve (please correct me if I'm wrong!!!)

After you get your engine on cyl1 TDC, take the distributor out and line it up so when it is all the way in, the rotor points back, and to the left....back, and to the left............back, and to the left.....or just to the cyl1 spark plug wire. Rotate the distributor so the connectors on it are facing a similar direction as the rotor, crap now I really have forgotten exactly how it is. I will go look at mine as soon as I finish this message.

One final note, make sure you've pushed the distributor in all the way. I was almost fooled by that, because the o-ring is tight. You might need to push really hard, but it will click and slip in just like when you put an AGP card into a computer.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

there's a freight harbor accross the street from where i live, and i'll pick one up on the way home tonight. I'm not sure how the computer controls the ignition timing but think i have a general idea. I think i know what two to bridge to put it in service mode. it's the two that you bridge when you want your check engine light to blink the codes right?
Silver 85 GT-scratch that
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

teamhavok2 wrote:there's a freight harbor accross the street from where i live, and i'll pick one up on the way home tonight. I'm not sure how the computer controls the ignition timing but think i have a general idea. I think i know what two to bridge to put it in service mode. it's the two that you bridge when you want your check engine light to blink the codes right?
Those are them ;)
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

I still hve to do all of that with a timing light?
Silver 85 GT-scratch that
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Here's a timing guide on my site may be helpful:

http://fierodomain.com/content/view/175/100/

Written by Avengador