Help me buy an X-Box (OldSchool)

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Help me buy an X-Box (OldSchool)

Post by stimpy »

My wife is going to get me an X-Box to keep me from losing my mind while I'm recovering from ankle surgery. I'm not picky about used or reconditioned, as long as it works and it would be nice if it had all the features that I should be looking for . Being as how I'm not terribly familiar with game systems, other then I seem to like like driving style games best, what equipment and specs should I put I my shopping list? What should I expect to pay for good equipment?
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

The EB Games store at your local shopping mall should have some used/reconditioned Xbox consoles. They usually are cheaper than buying a new one (around $200 IIRC) and even have a warranty. You can check out all the new and used Xbox stuff they have at www.ebgames.com . You did want the Xbox and not the new 360 right?
p.s. Good luck with your surgery. :thumbleft:
I treat others as they treat me
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

For driving games I would recommend Forza Motorsport which is similar to the Gran Turismo series, and either Project Gotham Racing or Project Gotham Racing 2. All three games are very good.

Good luck with the surgery.
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

get forza and prepare to enjoy.. i feel its about 100x more realistic than GT , if not for only the fact that there is DAMAGE, consistant with what you hit and how hard. granted there are 2 gripes with their damage / physics models. 1. its damn near impossible if not completley to actually FLIP a car over. and 2. your car never gets destroyed to the point that its undriveable to the pits to get it repaired... i wanna see the car lose a wheel, and be stuck waiting for a tow. haha but yea get yourself a used xbox for like $150 and a nice wireless controller, kick back and enjoy some racin
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

EDIT: Nevermind.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Am I wrong in not considering a PS2? They look to be selling new for about $140. I have an original PlayStation, I should probably stay loyal to the brand. I could still use the PS 1 games that I have on the duece, right?
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

stimpy wrote:Am I wrong in not considering a PS2? They look to be selling new for about $140. I have an original PlayStation, I should probably stay loyal to the brand. I could still use the PS 1 games that I have on the duece, right?
yeah, your old games can play on the ps2,

for 160 u could also go with the handheld psp system.

if u get a xbox let me know, I may have some old games floating around here in my bags u can have.

goodluck on the surgey as well :thumbleft:
Standard

Post by Standard »

Xbox + Forza = Many hours of awesome wasted time.

I have an Xbox and a PS2, along with GT3, GT4, and Forza. The GT series looks more realistic, but Forza nails the handling. I've played them back to back and Forza's physics are just more realistic.

Now if Forza 2 would just hurry up and be released so I can waste hundreds of hours on my 360..
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

my psp rox0rz..
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Stimpy - I mod Xbox's in my spare time... At the moment I have about 7 empty shells, a few motherboard/hard drive sets, and a grip of misc shit...

The only complete one that I have is about 99% complete - I replaced the factory Samsung ( they came with samsung, phillips, and thompson DVD drives ) with a PC Samsung 616T, problem is I need to get my hands on the batch file to flash the drive to work on the XBOX, reletively easy, just havent had the time.

You want to find one that has a Samsung DVD drive, as this is really the only part that determines the longevity of your xbox. Here are the only 2 sites which I trust and use frequently, everyone else just sells thier shit:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox

http://www.xboxhackz.com

It's all straight forward stuff, and they have the BEST prices on refurbished units, hell, you might even get into the modding scene - clear cases are 20 bucks and it makes you look like an UBBER-game god, HAHAHA
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
88GTneverfinsihed

Post by 88GTneverfinsihed »

stimpy wrote:Am I wrong in not considering a PS2? They look to be selling new for about $140. I have an original PlayStation, I should probably stay loyal to the brand. I could still use the PS 1 games that I have on the duece, right?
Should have said you were looking. I just dumped my x3 chipped xbox1 with about 60 games, wireless controller and driving wheel for $250 on craigslist. You could have taken it home with you after the game for much less than what the little asian man craigslist buyer paid.

Upgraded to 360. My game collection went from 60 to 5 but totally worth it
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Xbox>PS2
<Insert Sig Here>
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero 2 for Playstation...

For X-Box... Tough call, but I'd go with Forza or Halo 2
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

Driving games suck balls.. Get an xbox, get Half-Life 2 and Doom3, and you'll be set..

Or be like me, get an xbox, chip it, then only use it for Mario Kart.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

88GTneverfinsihed wrote:
Should have said you were looking. I just dumped my x3 chipped xbox1 with about 60 games, wireless controller and driving wheel for $250 on craigslist. You could have taken it home with you after the game for much less than what the little asian man craigslist buyer paid.

Upgraded to 360. My game collection went from 60 to 5 but totally worth it
Oh well.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

XBOX WITH XBOX CONNECT TO PLAY LIVE OVER INTERNET FREE.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Ok, I got my copy of Forza. Damn, you can kill a lot of time on this. I ordered a refurbished fanatec racing wheel off of ebay, and I'm looking forward to that.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Stimp - if any of the components of your XBOX takes a shit, let me know - I have a grip of shit piled up
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe