Effects of weight reduction?

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

scrabblegod

Effects of weight reduction?

Post by scrabblegod »

Ignoring variable such as aero drag and traction, are acceleration times directly related to weight and HP? ie:

Will a 150HP car weighing 1500lbs perform the same as a 300HP car weighing 3000lbs?
I guess this also assumes both are optimally geared for their rpm range.

If not, is there a generic formula to calculate the difference?

Thanks,

Gene
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

To the first order approximation, yes.

However, even with equivalent power/weight, the 1500# car will be able to come out of the hole faster than the 3000# car.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

F=MA so Acceleration = HP/Weight Both cars would acelerate at the same rate. However you have to factor in the force of friction which is the Coeficient of friction between the tires and ground, and multiply that by the normal force which is proportional to the weight. The heavier car would lose.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

got nothing to back me up, but I have always heard a rough approximation that a car that weighs twice as much, needs 4 times the power to accelerate as quickly.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

There are a whole lot of small effects to take into consideration.

Rolling resistance is one of them.
Another is that rotating components can only be so light... equivalent flywheel weights would result in a bigger chunk of the small engine's power going to inertial parastic loss.

However, depending on the degree of optimisation, that could also be spun as favorable to the small engine, since the rotating components attached to the large engine will have to be bigger, stronger and heavier.

In any case, a lighter car will always out handle a heavier car at a similar level of development. A 1500# car would RADICALLY out handle a 3000# car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Pyrthian wrote:got nothing to back me up, but I have always heard a rough approximation that a car that weighs twice as much, needs 4 times the power to accelerate as quickly.
Not true.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Pyrthian wrote:got nothing to back me up, but I have always heard a rough approximation that a car that weighs twice as much, needs 4 times the power to accelerate as quickly.
Not true.
yes, goto any 1/4 mile calulator that inputs weight & HP
its a straight line relationship - hp vs weight
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If it were to need 4x the power at 2x the weight, that's not a linear (straight line) relationship. That's an X squared relationship.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

right - meant yes as in agreeing wit ya - I just hear that other statement alot.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ok. There ARE a lot of x^2 dependencies in pure acceleration, but power isn't one of them.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

right. if you look at the definition of torque, its directly/linearly linked to weight. and, hp is directly & linearly linked to HP's. thereby, twice the weight needs twice the HP - or - more accuratly - twice the torque. this is also all assuming many other things held equal. traction & power curve being biggies.

but, this is all mathmagic. I would expect if you took a 10 HP go-kart, doubled its weight & put in a 2nd 10hp motor - the lighter one would be faster.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

because traction is not linear - though it may be in a theoretical physics problem like they tend to set up in basic physics in college.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

traction is linear, except when the tire squishes from the weight. Then you get more contact area, and it is no longer linear. Traction is a measurement of the force of friction between the tire and the road, I covered the foce of friction in my previous post.

Just to clarify these rules apply to weight and Wheel HP as variables while everything else remains constant.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Visco-elastic friction is NOT linear.

Coefficient of friction is greater at small normal force than large normal force. A tire can generate greater lateral g's on a light car than a heavy one (and thus more accelerative and braking traction as well).

The lighter car will launch harder for this reason.
scrabblegod

Post by scrabblegod »

Thanks for the replies. I was without access for a day.

Several years ago, I started to build a light weight car. The car is a Locost, and is a replica of the late 50s Lotus 7 series car.

I got into Fieros and the project was pushed to the side.

I am going to get back on it. I was originaly going to use a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe as the donor.

Now that I work in the salvage yard, I have a lot more access to various parts.

I have a 93 Taurus SHO engine put back I am going to use. A rough calculation puts the final weight between 1300-1500 lbs.

The SHO is easily modded to 250HP NA

Add me at 230lbs and the fun should begin.

Gene
whipped

Post by whipped »

scrabblegod wrote: I have a 93 Taurus SHO engine put back I am going to use. A rough calculation puts the final weight between 1300-1500 lbs.

The SHO is easily modded to 250HP NA
V6 or V8?

:la:
scrabblegod

Post by scrabblegod »

whipped wrote: V6 or V8?

:la:
It is the V-6. I know where there is a V-8 that needs a head gasket, but the owner thinks he has the last one in the world.

Gene