What the crap is this thing?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

What the crap is this thing?

Post by Starlite528 »

The thing in the center of the pic. I know the thing on top it the cruise control control.

Full resolution here:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/ ... G_3314.jpg
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

That's all cruise control stuff.
Top thing is the cruise control servo, middle thing is the cruise control vacuum solenoid, bottom thing is your Folger's coffee can -- I mean the cruise control vacuum reserve.

This should be in maintenance :-P
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Series8217 wrote: This should be in maintenance :-P
Sorry, my bad.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The thing with the red electrical connector is the solenoid valve that controls the cruise servo.

Moving to Maintenance / Shaun Hammit is the ladies man
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

That little piece of shit seems to always freak out mechanics, like there are two missing hoses or something.

Okay, so we know the name of it, but with one hose going into it, what in the fucking crap does it do? :scratch:
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
TrotFox

Post by TrotFox »

It controls airflow...

What do I win?!

Vacuum system. You've got two lines but you'll never see the other one until you start thinking like a vacuum tech (which I happen to be.) The port(s) you can see in the picture and your engine's intake constitutes what would be the Ground connections in an electrical circuit. That solenoid controls atmospheric pressure intake for the servo. There are more electronics inside the servo that control it so I'm not sure what the exact function of the pictured part is. I suspect it's a quick bleed for when the system is turned off as when pushing the brake pedal.

BTW, The metal fingers on that top port are for holding a filter. I don't know if the factory supplied one but I installed a thin chunk of open-cell foam as a dust-catch on mine...

Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the gray, fox...