Ignition vs. Gas mileage

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

lucky

Post by lucky »

Have you tried cranking with the cap off the distributor to verify that the rotor is spinning? My first gt gave me 6 months of sporadic no starting before i finally figured out the ring gear had separated from the flywheel and the starter was only actually spinning the engine sometimes.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

verified
whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Works.
Is there supposed to be some kind of clearance between the two that's not being met?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'd guesstimate the clearance between the reluctor finger and the stator fingers at 0.040 or so. The proper clearance isn't addressed in the shop manual. I can try manipulating them to tighten that clearance up this weekend, though...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

whipped wrote:Sounds like a pickup coil problem. You sure it's good?
Teh WINNAR!!!!

Almost.

There was an *intermittent* ground from the pickup coil to the dist body. I found that I could make things change by pulling up and pushing down on the pickup coil. I took it apart and found that there were a couple of stray strands from one of the connecting wires that were sticking out. Since I'd ruined the retainer getting the coil off, I had to get a new one anyway to get a new retainer. Advance had an AC Delco unit in stock for $6 more than the GP Sorensen that I had, so I bought it. The ACD one appeared to have a superior conformal coating that would eliminate the failure mode that I experienced with the GPS.

It still runs rough, though. It might be the plug wires. They were new last fall, but were really cheap. I got bitten trying to turn the distributor to reset the timing.
whipped

Post by whipped »

heh... always buy ac delco parts

they're made in mexico, which is one step above china. :la:

:rotflmao:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Bitten by cheapness a second time.

If you buy $22 plug wires, that's exactly what you get.

Car runs like a top with new wires. The old ones had been on a year and had started to go bad at about 6 months.

I replaced them with another set of $22 plug wires. :la:
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

magnecores FTW.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Anyone familiar with Accel 300+ 8.8mm wires? I found a bunch of these sitting in the warehouse and was contemplating buying a set. Looks like they are trying to compare with MSD wires.