Will a northstar work with an Isuzu?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Will a northstar work with an Isuzu?

Post by crzyone »

Just wondering. The northstar doesn't make the kind of torque that the sbc guys are making so I don't expect it would grenade an isuzu trani. There are also plenty 4. 9s running isuzu's and I havn't heard of any failing.

I posted on my build thread why a 4 speed muncie won't work, here are the pictures I took.

You can see the shifter cable bracket will run right into the waterpump.

Does anyone here have an isuzu trani that they can take a picture of the shifter cable bracket?

I do have a line on a fiero getrag, and I will probibly get it. The only advantage I can see the isuzu has over the getrag is a taller 5th gear for highway fuel mileage, but I don't really care about that.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The Isuzu uses a shift cable arrangement similar to the Muncie's. The Isuzu ALSO has a long clutch throwout arm that interferes with the Northstar water manifold.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The Isuzu uses a shift cable arrangement similar to the Muncie's. The Isuzu ALSO has a long clutch throwout arm that interferes with the Northstar water manifold.
from what I have been able to deduce without testing - the getrag clutch arm and slave can be used on both the 4speed and the isuzu - with a new slave bracket.

I'm currently in the process of making a new cable bracket for my 4speed to allow me to use the stock crossover ont he 3.4TDC and have been thinking about a getrag setup.. the selecter arm on the trans can even be replaced with a getrag style arm that pulls down..

only downfall is it takes a little custom fabrication and my bandsaw blade is getting pretty worn out.