A junkyard Fiero and a place with a garage.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

A junkyard Fiero and a place with a garage.

Post by Starlite528 »

That's what I want.

I have an interesting and maybe unique idea; convert a Fiero to center drive. Of course right now it's is just that, an idea. Why a junkyard Fiero? so I can screw up and not have to worry about it.

Where would the fuel tank go? Where the trunk is. I'm no engineer, so I don't know how much the center console frame plays in the structure/stength of the car. Needless to say, the whole thing will have to be cut out and a plate welded to the vacancy left behind. The dash will have to come out and be rebuilt. All of the wiring will have to be done from scratch.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

well, with the engine in the back, maybe a nice fuel cell be built into the spare tire compartment...

And also, I doubt the wiring would have to be "done from scratch", but more realistically, a few hours put into lengthening all of the wiring.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Chris-Nelson wrote:well, with the engine in the back, maybe a nice fuel cell be built into the spare tire compartment...

And also, I doubt the wiring would have to be "done from scratch", but more realistically, a few hours put into lengthening all of the wiring.
Problem with putting the fuel in the front I think would be building it around the steering column shaft.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

yeah, but thats better than making the fiero the next PINTO.

Stupid thread. I wont hold my breath for pics.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

You could just sit on the console, take the sunroof out, and use broom handles for the pedals, then rig up a steering wheel in the middle with a rope tied around both to control it. :afrocool:
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Starlite528 wrote:Problem with putting the fuel in the front I think would be building it around the steering column shaft.
I agree with avoiding the Pinto issue...

Why would it get in the way of the steering column?? I think there would be plenty of room (guessing...) for a fuel cell. How high up from the suspension is your steering column going to be??

If you look at the stock placement, it is VERY low in the front on the left side. You'd have to probably pull out the divider wall on the front half of the spare tire compartment and fab up some new strut tower bracing, but it's been done in the past....

Or you could go buy 3 garbage bags, stuff them inside of one another, and put in a garden hose, and just stuff it inside the compartment with the hose sticking out between the hood and fender for a filler... :thumbleft:
Last edited by Chris-Nelson on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Chris-Nelson wrote: Why would it get in the way of the steering column?? I think there would be plenty of room (guessing...) for a fuel cell. How high up from the suspension is your steering column going to be??

If you look at the stock placement, it is VERY low in the front on the left side. You'd have to probably pull out the divider wall on the front half of the spare tire compartment and fab up some new strut tower bracing, but it's been done in the past....

Or you could go buy 3 garbage bags, stuff them inside of one another, and put in a garden hose, and just stuff it inside the compartment with the hose sticking out between the hood and fender for a filler... :thumbleft:

I dunno, maybe there will be plenty of room. Of course the whole spare tire fiberglass thing will need to go too. I am not even gonna bother looking at it since this is in the idea phase and I can't yet even afford to buy the car. I'll get pictures next year when it's done.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

why?

What benefit do you see by doing this?

The fiero is not an F1, you will loose structural stiffness if you take out the center counsol.

Do something functional, like an engine swap.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

crzyone wrote:why?

The fiero is not an F1, you will loose structural stiffness if you take out the center counsol.

:withstupid:
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

crzyone wrote:why?

There is no benefit. It's purely a 'because I can' , for shits and giggles, make people do a doubletake on your car kinda thing.

I already pre-supposed that I would lose structural stiffness. I'm sure that can be made up for somehow.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

If not center drive, my other idea was to build a driving sim, with hydraulic or other moving platform.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

This sounds like a "I'm going to swap a (insert random, never done before engine) into my Fiero" thread.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Something like that. Of course it's still only hypothetical since I'm flat broke.

If a user wants to see the dancing bunnies, then by God they're gonna see the dancing bunnies, regardless of what roadblocks you put in front of them or security risks they face!!!!
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Why would I do such a thing? I am sure that you all get funny ideas like these. I do hope that someday I can follow through and just do it. Because it is fun for me.

I get a kick out of taking something apart and figuring out how it works. I have always been that way since I was a little kid taking apart wind up clocks, record players, stereo receivers, and yes, even television sets. I want to do these crazy things because no one else seems to want to, or are too afraid to take the chance that what they have might become worthless to themselves or someone else in the future that they don't want it any more.

Not only do I like taking things apart, but I like building things, especially when it's electronic or mechanical, even though I have no formal training in either, save for some military training with the phone system. In my spare time, when the opportunity presents itself, I do theatrical lighting, sound, and/or rigging for a local performing arts center, and have a hell of a good time doing it.

I've been told "You're going to get yourself in trouble and your car taken away with the police lights and siren that you installed." That may be so, but I hope it never comes to that. I bought the siren and the lights because I think they're cool. I spoke with a CHP officer and he told me that all the stuff I have in my car is just fine, as long as I don't get stupid and try to start impersonating. I actually do use the strobes, when I park the car and deliver pizza to the customer, and a lot of them are like, wtf, wow that's cool.

Fortunately, I won't have to deliver pizza any more. I am moving back to the San Fernando valley in the next week or so, and I will be professionally installing residential/business alarm systems. Finally, it looks like I may have a chance at owning a home with a garage.

I don't plan on selling or getting rid of my Fiero. Ever.
Ironova

Post by Ironova »

Starlite528 wrote:
Fortunately, I won't have to deliver pizza any more. I am moving back to the San Fernando valley in the next week or so, and I will be professionally installing residential/business alarm systems. Finally, it looks like I may have a chance at owning a home with a garage.

I don't plan on selling or getting rid of my Fiero. Ever.
Good for you. If I had a garage now I'd have my Fiero tore down and build it back up. Don't pinch me, I'm still dreaming :thumbleft: