My car doesn't like starting. But it loves running.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Doof, doof. Unce.

Okay, yeah, I already said I had heard the hundreds of suggestions before and didn't care much for them, so I wasn't really saying "what's wrong, any ideas?". Mostly I was saying "Okay, I think it's my fuel pump, who can give me some tips on that?". Then everyone started saying "No, no, it's not the fuel pump, retard, you need to replace this one impossible to find part, haha sucker". So please, find it no surprise that I'm a little less than grateful for the "help" I got. Really, the only great help I got thus far was from Xanth and his fuel pump replacement guide, which came in really decent handy out in the garage. Perhaps my thread title was a little misleading...

At any rate, the thing that equally chaps my ass is how much (which isn't much) I put into coming up with some light humor as to my mock "guide" that I wrote up as I went. And nobody even mentions it (except Mach10). Am I really that unfunny? I mean, usually humor is best found in your own experiences, and relation to others' same experiences would produce a hefty "LOL". Nada.

So, uh, yeah. I know the people here are good at taking jokes... I mean, just look at the whole forum and you'll see: joke joke joke jab joke jab joke. But whatever happened to laughing with a joke instead of at it?

Meh. My car runs and I'm happy. :la:
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

What the fuck.

You threw "fuel pump" in as an afterthought at the end of a long post that did a LOT of whining, and not a lot of detail as to what--exactly--you had already checked.

As has been mentioned before, it's not USUALLY the fuel pump. Your problem was atypical of fuel pump failure.

I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again.

ASPERGERS.

I really hope that's the problem with you (and it IS you, BTW), because it almost hurts to know that anyone can be that fucking clueless about human conversation.

1) No, your jokes were not that funny. They usually aren't.

2) Making a joke does not excuse being a fucking rude prick.

3) Most of the people here have a bigger fucking clue around these cars than you do. If they suggested those things, respect that wisdom and that experience, and respect that without ACTUALLY SEEING THE FUCKING CAR, that any advice is in the nature of "Educated Guess."

As I see it, you have two options. You can go fuck yourself--along with any requests for help you might have in the future, or you can grow a fucking man-sack and appologize for being a complete, total, and utter douchebag.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Mach10 wrote:What the fuck.

You threw "fuel pump" in as an afterthought at the end of a long post that did a LOT of whining, and not a lot of detail as to what--exactly--you had already checked.

As has been mentioned before, it's not USUALLY the fuel pump. Your problem was atypical of fuel pump failure.

I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again.

ASPERGERS.

I really hope that's the problem with you (and it IS you, BTW), because it almost hurts to know that anyone can be that fucking clueless about human conversation.

1) No, your jokes were not that funny. They usually aren't.

2) Making a joke does not excuse being a fucking rude prick.

3) Most of the people here have a bigger fucking clue around these cars than you do. If they suggested those things, respect that wisdom and that experience, and respect that without ACTUALLY SEEING THE FUCKING CAR, that any advice is in the nature of "Educated Guess."

As I see it, you have two options. You can go fuck yourself--along with any requests for help you might have in the future, or you can grow a fucking man-sack and appologize for being a complete, total, and utter douchebag.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Falcon4 wrote: Ah, and that was another thing that was on the list, the cold start injector. It does run somewhat rich...
And he wonders why I thought it was a cold start injector.... Fuel injected motors with bad fuel pumps run rich all the time.... NOT!
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

By that I meant the computer noticed the engine running rich (as Series8217 tested) and was compensating accordingly. Ugh..

Okay, whatever, I'm sorry I'm not gloriously accepting of everyone telling me I was wrong in the form of "advice", and finding out in the end that I was right all along. :salute: Maybe I should just bend over and take it like a man, and spend $2,000 replacing every last thing everyone mentioned, just to make everyone happy.
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Better idea: From now on, do your own troubleshooting. :knob:

For the record, NOBODY suggested replacing anything. We suggested TESTING. Which you didn't do. You replaced your pump and got lucky. Your mechanical skills boggle the imagination
Falcon4 wrote: Yay for Garage PC! I can post and read without ever leaving the comfort of my car and greasy as hell hands. :thumbleft:
Don't bet on getting any meaningful replies.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

p8ntman442 wrote:check your timing and your coil.
How the fuck do you check a coil? Do you have to be superhuman or something? A coil runs the engine, and unless you have some kind of trick-ass equipment to measure voltage AND still deliver the current to the plugs without modifying it, you're shit outta luck.
Series8217 wrote:I recall testing your fuel pressure a few months ago for you when you were down at the WCF BBQ and determined that you have a leaking injector (probably the cold start). Did you fix that?
No, because they don't make cold start injectors anymore. :la:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:disconnect your cold start injector from the electrical plug. Maybe its getting a pulse to fire so its opening. Wouldnt' hurt to try.

If you think its a injector leaking, take off the upper plenum and fuel rail but leave all the fuel lines connected to the rail. Prime the system without starting it of course, and see if you see any fuel dripping out of any of hte injectors.
Granted, disconnecting the cold start plug would isolate that problem, but removing the fuel rail would be a plain flat-out bitch I'm not exactly up for the challenge of. Plus, leaving the fuel lines connected and trying to remove the fuel rail, I'm bound to end up breaking something. A good idea, but not exactly well thought out...

HENCE why I didn't "take" any of the "advice" listed above. I didn't ask for it, and most of it wasn't exactly sane either.

Considering as though the first time I had ever worked on a real engine was about, what, 6 months ago, I'd say my mechanics skills are worthy of the description, "boggle the imagination". I replaced a head gasket for fuck's sake, with no real tools, and no experience, and not a single problem since then. I'd say that's pretty fucking impressive, if just to boost my own ego.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Umm, the coil test procedure is in pretty much any repair manual, including Haynes and Chiltons. I think I may even have it on my site somewhere.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

You just keep on shoveling there, pedro.

1) You check a coil with a multimeter
2) Cold-start injectors are available.
3) Just because you're too lazy to remove the intake manifold does not make the advice bad. Takes less time than dropping the tank, too.

Didn't ask for it? Why fuck did you post in the first place, dillweed?

Strange how you mock all of this advice, and yet couldn't remove a fuel tank without detailed precision instructions. What a fucking pro you are.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

How did you change a head gasket without pulling the intake and/or fuel rail once already? Why is it a big deal now?
<Insert Sig Here>
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Fastback86 wrote:How did you change a head gasket without pulling the intake and/or fuel rail once already? Why is it a big deal now?
Because I fuck-as-fuck don't want to do it again. I think I've pulled that plenum off like, 15 times, and still haven't torn the damn gaskets. I call that LUCK and I don't particularly like PUSHING it. Then there's all the god damn hoses, wires, and assorted bullshit in the way... :puke:

And no, you can't "check" a coil with a multimeter. I've read all sorts of conflicting advice about how to test a coil... problem is, at loads and with heat, is the only time an otherwise working coil would show problems. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.

And cold-start injectors are available? From who? Doc Brown?

I posted to get some advice for fuel pumps, and I also posted in case someone else runs across a similar problem in the future and finds the thread via searching, hence why I described my problem in reader's digest detail. I always hate finding threads that either A) aren't well described, or B) are filled with arguing idiots. :knob:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You burned your first and second largest sources of fiero technical information.

Want to see if you can piss off the other 2 major fiero forums?

Dick.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

o_O

How about providing sane advice? Like, should I call you a jackass for telling me to take a hike when I say to replace your engine because you ran out of gas? :scratch:

And nobody's still told me where to get the long- and well-known discontinued cold start injector...
AntiCooter

Post by AntiCooter »

Falcon4 wrote:o_O

And nobody's still told me where to get the long- and well-known discontinued cold start injector...
www.partsamerica.com
1985 Pontiac Fiero
Fuel Injection Cold Start Valve: 17085622
Price- $82.99
You can go to the Bosch website, get the part number and cross ref the Bosch one listed at partsamerica. Indeed, the cold start injector is very much available.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Very interesting. Thanks for actually providing me with a useful piece of information! :thumbleft:

Every other source I've heard from has told me that the cold start injectors aren't available anywhere, since they were used in such a minuscule number of cars. But I guess that information was wrong, too. :thumbleft:
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Falcon4 wrote:
Fastback86 wrote:How did you change a head gasket without pulling the intake and/or fuel rail once already? Why is it a big deal now?
Because I fuck-as-fuck don't want to do it again. I think I've pulled that plenum off like, 15 times, and still haven't torn the damn gaskets. I call that LUCK and I don't particularly like PUSHING it. Then there's all the god damn hoses, wires, and assorted bullshit in the way... :puke:

And no, you can't "check" a coil with a multimeter. I've read all sorts of conflicting advice about how to test a coil... problem is, at loads and with heat, is the only time an otherwise working coil would show problems. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.

And cold-start injectors are available? From who? Doc Brown?

I posted to get some advice for fuel pumps, and I also posted in case someone else runs across a similar problem in the future and finds the thread via searching, hence why I described my problem in reader's digest detail. I always hate finding threads that either A) aren't well described, or B) are filled with arguing idiots. :knob:
But thats not what you said. You said you weren't up to the challenge, which means you were either bullshiting about the headgasket or an idiot. Try choosing your words more carefully, it'll save everyone a lot of grief.
Last edited by Fastback86 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Insert Sig Here>
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

bullshitting about the head gasket? :la:

And how in god's name can you stick a multimeter between a high voltage line like that and not blow the meter to freakin' shreds? :scratch: You need a customized meter for that kind of business...
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Your reading comprehension is the envy of non-english speakers everywhere.
And how in god's name can you stick a multimeter between a high voltage line like that and not blow the meter to freakin' shreds? :scratch: You need a customized meter for that kind of business...
Ignore that, I was reposting something without checking it, it was wrong.
<Insert Sig Here>
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

=o

So you're saying... you just wrote something... that wasn't true? :doh:

I guess that means it could be right for me to tell people to take a hike when they post advice that just plain isn't right?

And yet in the same post you say, rather sarcastically I presume, "Your reading comprehension is the envy of non-english speakers everywhere".

Good god people. I guess once you're beat plain and fair, it's just time to quit replying and let the next person step up to get beat. :dontknow: Can't anyone just say "shit man, I'm sorry, we were wrong, here's your beer dude. :cheers: "? That would be kinda nice to see. Everyone all getting along. But no... someone's always got to defend their e-ego...
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

diaf