Catholic Leaders

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

psybrdelic
Riot Grrl

Catholic Leaders

Post by psybrdelic »

Ok, I'll start this straight up, I am not christian in anyway. However, I was at a bar/club. And they were playing the traditional bar music and the traditional hookup/retardedness was going on.

Here is what I found disturbing. On the plasma TV were images of the pope from the CNN report. I have to know...does anyone else find this remotely disturbing? Look around you, it seems our great Catholic nation doesn't give a damn.

It worries me, when I am affected by a pope's death. I am an atheist. Yet, my fellow christians can still work on scoring poo-tang the same night.

Hit me up, I want to know what others think.

leann
Lex

Re: Catholic Leaders

Post by Lex »

psybrdelic wrote:Ok, I'll start this straight up, I am not christian in anyway. .
psybrdelic wrote:I am an atheist.
psybrdelic wrote:Yet, my fellow christians...
So, are you or are you not a christian? You can't be an athiest if you have "fellow christians".
psybrdelic wrote:it seems our great Catholic nation doesn't give a damn.
America has NEVER been a Catholic nation. Angry, old, akward, honky protestants with crappy haircuts and run this country.
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

I edited this post and removed the Denis Diderot quote because, although there is truth to it, it gave the wrong impression when posted to this thread.

What I'll say instead, in answer to your question, is that the vast majority of "Christians" are Christians in name more than action.

Similar to this incident, how many people in bars are out getting drunk and trying to score while wearing a cross necklace? Same thing. Use religion when you think you should or when you get guilted into it, and ignore it when it's inconvenient.

Am I disturbed by the pope's death? Not really. To me he is a foreign political leader who served a long time and died a natural death. Death is a normal part of life. His death or life does not significantly affect mine. He seems to have lived a full (to him) and reasonably long life so that's good. I will pay the respects that any fellow human deserves and go on about my life.

And I think it's poon-tang, not poo-tang.
Last edited by Doug Chase on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
MiZer
and all I got was this lousy title

Post by MiZer »

i was quite saddened by the news of his death, from what i knew, he was a good man.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

John Paul II worked with Ronald Reagan in the '80's to help bring about the fall of Communism. Not being Catholic, I don't know much more about this particular Pope's exploits, but I think that shaping the world as we know it today and ending the Cold War are stout accomplishments.

It was hardly unexpected, though.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:John Paul II worked with Ronald Reagan in the '80's to help bring about the fall of Communism.
The fall of communism can be attributed to their economic situation as well. There are many different views on this.

Your Fuhrer

DiggityBiggity
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Of course... Not that JP2 was the sole cause, but he contributed significantly.
psybrdelic
Riot Grrl

Post by psybrdelic »

I'd like to respond to Lex. I apologize when I say "fellow christians." I meant this in a different way, not that we share a common religion, but that we share a common life. Apologies. I am very atheist.

And I understand that people call themselves one thing and actually act different ways. This is a noble truth...(rolls eyes)...thanks for informing me. What a revelation...

What I can't understand is how an atheist can be more upset by the passing of this pope than some christians. Perhaps, I'm proposing that he was more than a religious figure. But a culturual and temporal representation of American culture. Despite his residence abroad, it is undeniable that he had influence in the states.

I think his death should be a mourning, as was Malcolm X, Mother Tersea, Ghandi, and so on. Personally, I dig the polish Pope more than Nixon or Regean combined.

leann
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Have you noticed that flags are at half-mast?
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

I have noticed that Will, and until you just said that, I hadn't even thought as to why. :scratch:

Your Fuhrer

DiggityBiggity
psybrdelic
Riot Grrl

Post by psybrdelic »

In my old state, we had flags at half mast for 4 months. No one could tell me why.

What does that mean? And do you people argue just to argue?
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

I argue to vent my frustrations over things I can't control. I don't know about anyone else. :argue:

Your Fuhrer

Diggity"Loves to vent"Biggity
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Flags are supposed to be at half mast to mourn a tragedy. You weren't in your old state in the fall of '01 were you?

Yeah, we argue to argue. We're kinky like that.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I am guessing you aren't getting laid anymore? Your rantings are back.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
psybrdelic
Riot Grrl

Post by psybrdelic »

Hot.

Um, no it was during 2003 buddy. Valiant attempt. Maybe we lost a solider in Iraq...who knows.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

I'll always rant, poon-tang or not Shaun. :thumbleft:

Your Fuhrer

Diggity"The Ranting Maniac"Biggity
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

psybrdelic wrote:Hot.

Um, no it was during 2003 buddy. Valiant attempt. Maybe we lost a solider in Iraq...who knows.
Did Ronald Reagan die in '03?... Trying to remember... must be getting old.

Yeah, you should see us when we really get a good moral debate going... the whips and chains come out.
Or maybe you shouldn't see that...
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

I love this forum. We have a very well rounded group of individuals, and most of us seem to be more than intelligent.

Don't know what I would do without this outlet.

Your Fuhrer

Diggity"The whips and chains tend to be fun"Biggity
Lex

Post by Lex »

psybrdelic
Riot Grrl

Post by psybrdelic »

Ok, this maybe a digression, but whatev.

I was watching the Daily Show the other day. I have this ridicilous crush on Jon Stewart.

Anyway, he played the video where some girl informed the news station that the pope was dead:

"The pope is dead...helllooooo...the pope is dead"

Come on...that's funny.

leann