Timing... Distributor...

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Hollywood

Timing... Distributor...

Post by Hollywood »

So i took out the distributor and my idiot uhh i mean friend cleaned it off including my timing marks! How do i re assemble it without knowing the timing? Please help.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Setting the timing is a well documented procedure that can be found in haynes, FSM's and Chiltons. Gotta get the #1 piston to TDC and then set the distributor #1 tower to where its firing. Then Time it with a light to dial it in. www.fieronews.net has all the downloadable service manuals and such.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You did at least note where the rotor was pointing when you took it out, so you can put it back with the same indexing, right? After that you just need a timing light and 3" of wire.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

The rotor yes i did note the rotor but other than that everything else is gone. Am i screwed?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

No. If you have the rotor orientation, you don't need to do anything Jamie said. If you remember *about* where the dist body was pointing, you can probably get it to run and then use a timing light to dial it in.

DO look up the correct procedure in the downloadable manuals, though.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Look, If you think you know exactly how it went in, then you might be ok, But take it from the guy who exploded his muffler with a backfire. Guess and check isnt the right way.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

p8ntman442 wrote:Look, If you think you know exactly how it went in, then you might be ok, But take it from the guy who exploded his muffler with a backfire. Guess and check isnt the right way.
So if im not positive and i shouldnt guess and check what should i do?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Do this:
p8ntman442 wrote:Setting the timing is a well documented procedure that can be found in haynes, FSM's and Chiltons. Gotta get the #1 piston to TDC and then set the distributor #1 tower to where its firing. Then Time it with a light to dial it in. www.fieronews.net has all the downloadable service manuals and such.
Do you have a Hanyes or Chiltons manual? If not you can get a service manual from fieronews like p8ntman suggests, there are a lot of resources on that site.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Thanks guys. Got it installed and started now gonna work on the timing. Out of curiousity when i disassembled the dist, gear, shaft, coil, etc does it matter how that is all reassembled or is the timing all about getting the #1 piston to TDC and pointing the rotor to the #1 wire on the tower?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

As long as you put the dizzy back together in the right order, you won't hurt timing. There are no orientation specific assemblies that can be screwed up.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Humm... When im trying to get the timing correct its hard for me to spot the chalk marks i've made due to a bolt RIGHT IN MY WAY! :mumum: Is there a method that has been effective for any of you that i may want to try?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Hollywood wrote:Humm... When im trying to get the timing correct its hard for me to spot the chalk marks i've made due to a bolt RIGHT IN MY WAY! :mumum: Is there a method that has been effective for any of you that i may want to try?
Hahah, yes that is a bitch. I stand next to the passenger side wheel and lean way in, then peer down and around while aiming the light.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

I have to time by that damn bolt because I realized after the engine install that the front cover I used was for an s10 and didnt have the timing tab on the right side. I have yet to put the new one on.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Hollywood wrote:Humm... When im trying to get the timing correct its hard for me to spot the chalk marks i've made due to a bolt RIGHT IN MY WAY! :mumum: Is there a method that has been effective for any of you that i may want to try?
I used grease pencil to highlight the timing mark on the balancer. I can then see it by taking out the little plastic piece that covers up the hole in the frame right next to the chassis side dogbone mount.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Haha i folded and my buddy and i towed it 3 miles down the road to the shop and i had them do my timing haha. But hey i think i've done mighty damn well up to this point with the help of chilton and rff!!!