no longer running

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

the-dude1

no longer running

Post by the-dude1 »

hey guys my 86 gt was running great and the other day it stalled and now it will not start!! the fuel pump is priming :scratch:
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

crank it over, does the tach move? If it dosent your ignition module is fried.

If it does, check to see if you have fuel pressure, There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail next to the thermostat housing, depress the pintle and see if fuel shoots out.

Pull a plug and lay the plug on the strut tower, so it grounds to one of the three strut bolts. reach into the car and crank it over while looking at the plug, do you have spark?

If you have a tach that moves when you crank it, pressure at the fuel rail, and plugs that show spark, and still no start you have a serious problem.

If the tach dosent move, look for a thread by doug chase on replacing the ignition module. It covers the whole thing.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

what kind of serious problem are we talking about? i will check those items and post back! it cant be that bad it was just running GREAT but on the other hand we have all seen the crazy shit that happens
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

whos this WE you speak of ..?
do you have A

this could be a problem.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

if you dont have anything useful to say why waste your time :flipa:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

this belongs in maintenance!
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

If you can hear your fuel pump running and it isn't making any weird sounds or running intermittently it should be fine. If you don't see your tach moving when you crank the engine over you most likely have a bad igniton module, if it is working then you have a problem with either your ignition coil or the distributor coil. If it isn't the coils then it could be the ECM. As usual, you should always check your fuses first to see if any are blown, then check for faulty components.
I treat others as they treat me
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

lets not confuse the issue. Do the checks I recomended and get back to us. We can only help you more if you do the above.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

ok guys i am new to the fiero but i am not new to auto mechanics!! ok that being said well it turns out the sending unit is bad cause it reads 1/4 tank! so i thought i would start really simple and put some more gas in it, and guess what she started right up. so looks like im pulling the tank now! thanks for the advise guys...
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

that sending unit will never read perfect even after you R&R it, mine is pretty good but it still has dead spots in it. , the whole design of them is junk.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

p8ntman442 wrote:crank it over, does the tach move? If it dosent your ignition module is fried.

If it does, check to see if you have fuel pressure, There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail next to the thermostat housing, depress the pintle and see if fuel shoots out.
see, all you had to do was 1...2...3... go down the list.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

is there any other unit that would work in there? or should i say has anybody tried to put a different one in yet? maybe i will get an extra tank and do some experimenting..