Cruise control cable slack

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

side by side, shit I've rebuilt both, I would put my money on Izusu not designing the 4 spd.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

GM did use an Isuzu 4 speed in a few apps. The Fiero was NOT one of them.
lucky

Post by lucky »

you're all so sure it wasn't Isuzu who was it then?
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

p8ntman442 wrote: The 4 spd is a muncie, and possibly designed by getrag, but Not Izusu.
It was designed my muncie.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

:withstupid:
Muncie.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

from wikipedia:

In 1985, the problem with insufficient power was first addressed, much to the satisfaction of the general public. A Chevrolet 2.8 L V6 engine rated at 140 hp (104 kW) was put into the car, satisfying most critics of the base engine. The High Output V6 was paired with a modified Muncie 4-speed transmission. The 4-cylinder engine (known as the "Iron Duke") was now paired with the Japanese-designed Isuzu 5-speed (also produced at the Muncie, Indiana plant).
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

I think lucky may have been confused by information based on the above paragraph. If the isuzu was built at the muncie plant, than the story could be flipped in text and someone could think isuzu built the muncie on accident.
lucky

Post by lucky »

According to everything in print I've read all the Fiero transmissions were built at the Muncie plant. I'm not confused about what I've read. I said Isuzu designed the 4spd as well as the early 5spd. That articles gotten some recent updates; I've gotten it in search engines before. It used to have a really nice pic of the 89 prototype on the lawn of GM headquarters next to a black 88GT; the trans code ID table is new; and the history and description are longer than they used to be. It says it was a modified Muncie. Isn't just equally as possible that wikipedia's source flipped Muncie Modified with Modified Muncie? All I know is I've got a book full of OE part #'s for specialty tools produced shortly after the car hit the road, and Wikipedia wasn't even invented yet.

Fiero, Italian word for Proud? Well that's Obvious.