brake issues

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

the-dude1

brake issues

Post by the-dude1 »

ok i just replaced my rear calipers,pads,rotors and my front pads and rotors
i had no problem compressing the front calipers. but when i hit the brakes it pulls really hard to the left!! this means it needs a new caliper right?
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Could be a couple of things.

Take the right caliper off and make sure the slide-pins still move, that the brake pads aren't looking wierd (i.e., covered in brake fluid) and that the piston comes out when you push the brake pedal.

If the piston is jammed in the bore, you can either rebuild the brake caliper, or replace it.

Could also be something as silly as a kinked brake line, or something plugging it.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Moved to Maintenance / Shaun Hammit is the ladies man
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

first thanks for the advise man :thumbleft: i took apart the caliper and kinda reconditioned everything and now it seems to work pretty good, for a fiero caliper!! so the problem is solved with no extra money spent...
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

ok so they were working great but i noticed after i drive for lets say half an hour, it pulls hard to the left when i brake? :scratch: then i let it sit at the house for a while and it drives fine until it all heats up nice and good then its all fubar again??
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Brake hoses can swell internally and act as check valves. This happened to me so badly on one car that it took WOT in 2nd gear to maintain 35 mph. When I let it sit for a while, the pressure would bleed off and it would drive normally until I had to hit the brakes, then they'd stay applied.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

thanks will :salute: i guess i need thoes steel lines sooner than i thought!!
i was going to do a beretta swap in a couple of weeks anyways.(dont even ask why i spent the money and re did the stock brakes)