English Language

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Lex

Post by Lex »

kayamate wrote: , but as you can guess, I've had a lot of silly battles with white American men who sincerely doubt my intelligence, my ability to communicate in English, and my "ethnic"/national affiliation specifically because of the color of my skin and their assumptions about little brown girls.
Go ahead and stereotype us some more. Tell me about the assumptions I as a white male make about little brown girls....

Sexy "A White Devil" Lexy.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Doug Chase wrote:
stimpy wrote:But if one language is going to have to be inconvenienced, why English?
To me this sounds like a simple business decision.
Absolutely. Still can make a guy feel like Micheal Douglas ordering breakfast in "Falling Down". You gotta remember, I park in the Mentally Handicapped Parking. :cussing:
kayamate

Post by kayamate »

So, what are we talking about here? Are we talking about the fact that it's beneficial for anyone to know/speak/understand English if he/she lives in America? Because I'm not arguing that. Of course, one is more likely to succeed if he/she speaks English in this country. However, we've clarified that it's not easy (not just because of comprehension barriers, but also because of time). Second, what I'm hearing most is, "learn the fucking language," not "who is going to teach the fucking language?" and that's a huge problem. How are people to learn the language without resources? Do we have the money to provide such resources? And, if so, what would it cost? Is it beneficial for us to do that? Like Stimpy said, these people must be working for nothing if they are sharing a garage between a few families (and a salad doesn't cost $20). So, why aren't we coming up with solutions? Why are we just complaining? Maybe it would be beneficial for us to think of ways to fix this..
"what stops most people in their tracks is a small mental packet of energy. it is called a thought. they think 'i can't.'" -rex steven sikes, founder of IDEA seminars
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I say you fix your avatar and go with a smaller one.
Lex

Post by Lex »

kayamate wrote:Second, what I'm hearing most is, "learn the fucking language," not "who is going to teach the fucking language?" and that's a huge problem..
Well, I don't think that most people are telling immigrants to" learn the fucking language". But I do agree with your point. There are not enough resources for people to take advantage of when it comes to esl.

That being said, I can't help but wonder if some of the blame for that problem may fall on the immigrants themselves.

For example, I used to work for a wharehouse that offered employees an opportunity to take esl at the local community college on company hours. (i.e. you were being paid to go to school on your work hours.)

The first class was filled by all a few russian and chinese workers, but not one hispanic. The odd part was, the majority of the non-english speakers were hispanic, plus they had a tranlator to tell them about this class two months in advance. The other non-english speakers weren't even afforded that. By the time the third class rolled around the program was cancelled do to lack of head count.

I wonder if that example is an isolated occurrence? :scratch:
kayamate

Post by kayamate »

Lex wrote:I wonder if that example is an isolated occurrence? :scratch:
i wonder, too. er, in any case, over here, it seems we have a good deal of immigrants from various national origins attending adult literacy classes. one job i recently applied for was literacy teaching w/head start, a latino/a resource center with fairly good sized classes (up 20 people per class). however, THIS could be an isolated occurance/group too. i don't really know. of course, philly is pretty racially mixed...
"what stops most people in their tracks is a small mental packet of energy. it is called a thought. they think 'i can't.'" -rex steven sikes, founder of IDEA seminars
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Lex wrote:
kayamate wrote:Second, what I'm hearing most is, "learn the fucking language," not "who is going to teach the fucking language?" and that's a huge problem..

Perspective from the Salad Bowl.

The Adult School in Salinas runs plenty of programs for ESL and citizenship-http://www.salinasadultschool.com/esl.html, and the population does indeed take full advantage of the programs. I fully support them in their efforts to learn the language and pursue citizenship.

On the other hand. The Adult School also offers intensive Spanish courses. For now they are free due to a grant from our broke state government, but until last year they were $300 per session, of which there are 9. So our Libraries are closing their doors here while the migrant population receives these classes, but I've got to pay the price of 4 of Steve Kelley's cars to learn Spanish to have any chance of employment?

Fair? See why some white guys get tense? God love the immigrant trying to make a way for themselves. I just wish it wasn't over my feet.
kayamate

Post by kayamate »

yes. that would irk me too.
atleastitruns
I am a chick. LEGHUMP!!!

Post by atleastitruns »

we don't speak english...

we speak "american" :bootyshake:

:angel:
Janell