Fuel tank switching

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Should I add high-octane capability to my car?

Poll ended at Sun May 08, 2005 3:07 pm

Yeah, HP is GOOOOOD.
25%
Forget it and finish the rest of your damn car already, you lazy bum.
75%

Total votes: 4

Indy

Fuel tank switching

Post by Indy »

Alright, I just scored a 5 gal aluminum fuel cell. My main plan is to use it as the IC water tank. But I've been thinking. (Bad way to save money.)

An idea popped up. It concerns the fact that my ECM has the ability to jump to a different fuel and spark table at the flick of a switch, nothing else needed. I use an electronic boost controller as well. So, instead of putting water in the fuel cell, I was thinking of, well, fuel. Race gas, to be more specific, in addition to the regular gas in the tank.

I'm trying to figure out a way that I could plumb in the tank, using an electronic valve or something of the sort, without getting the fuel mixed up. That way I could have the ECM and the boost controller wired up to one switch, to switch to high, basically. Then I could run an ouput from the ECM to a relay for fuel pump numero 2. The switch is flicked on, fuel pump 1 switches off, pump 2 kicks on, the ECM delays the table switch for several seconds, and the boost controller switches to aggressive. Almost instant HP.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to plumb the damn thing. Ideas are appreciated. I just dreamed this up last night, I've been web surfing for valves and solenoids and all that good stuff since then. My idea might very well be fundamentally f#!*ed. I also need to get a new fuel regulator, so I'm definitely going to get a multi-port reg, regardless.

Thanks,
Nate
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Normally open solenoid on the pump gas fuel line, normally closed solenoid on the race gas line. When energized, pump gas valve closes, race gas valve opens. Switch valves and unplug for track days.

Where are you gonna put the fuel cell?
Indy

Post by Indy »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Normally open solenoid on the pump gas fuel line, normally closed solenoid on the race gas line. When energized, pump gas valve closes, race gas valve opens. Switch valves and unplug for track days.

Where are you gonna put the fuel cell?
Hmm...I was thinking overly complex. Drr...guess I have my days. I suppose I could do the same for the return line. I'm going to see if I can fit it underneath the spare tire, and I'll be ditching the A/C crap since I don't have a compressor anyway, so I might see if there's room in that area also. So, as close to the front bulkhead and as low as possible.
emod19

Post by emod19 »

Why not use a valve from a GM truck with dual gas tanks?
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Didn't know those existed.
Older Jaguars also have dual tanks electrically switched.
bryson

Post by bryson »

Step it up a bit -- run methanol :D Only for track days, though, because it doesn't lubricate well, but imagine how much power you could make...
Indy

Post by Indy »

bryson wrote:Step it up a bit -- run methanol :D Only for track days, though, because it doesn't lubricate well, but imagine how much power you could make...
Hehehe. I was on the Ray Hall turbocharging website last night making sure to read up on methanol. Maybe a little nitro thrown in the mix. :thumbleft:

The tank came in today. It's pretty big, I may ditch the spare. Gonna go out and look this afternoon. Pretty nice though, AN fittings and a sump welded in. Imagine a 9x12x12 aluminum tank and that's it.

Guess I'm gonna have to look for another IC tank.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Had the camera out, so I took a pic for the hell of it. Seems like all I've been doing lately.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/F ... CF0464.jpg
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

There are a few trucks I know of that had a tank switcher, a mid 80s ford F150 is one of them.

Will you be using an external fuel pump so it works for both tanks?
Indy

Post by Indy »

crzyone wrote:There are a few trucks I know of that had a tank switcher, a mid 80s ford F150 is one of them.

Will you be using an external fuel pump so it works for both tanks?
I got a Paxton external pump yesterday, but I'll get another for the aux tank. Should give a little bit better response time from switching tanks.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Messed around with this some today. Removed some of the A/C junk, and I can get it pretty low as is, the hood can close with plenty of room to spare. If I remove the lower plastic trim by the bottom rear of the spare, and make a sheetmetal (or fiberglass I guess) bucket for the front bulkhead, I can get it another 6" lower at least. If I continue with my plan to use it as a fuel cell, I can still fit another smaller water tank on the passenger's side of it. I'm also going to put the battery around where the spare jack bracket is, I think. Then the water injection tank will go in the back. I'm gonna ditch the spare for local drives . Too much shit to fit in there. It'll probably weigh 4000 lbs by the time I'm done. :blah5:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Just mount the battery straight below where it is stock.
Put it behind the R Qpanel immediately in front of the RR wheel. That will get it as low as possible while keeping it close to the car's CG so as to keep from increasing moment of inertia, as happens with front mounted batteries.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312