Turbo 3.4pr

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

dgzfiero
Live from Ard's Cricket Ranch

Turbo 3.4pr

Post by dgzfiero »

Here are some pics of the motor my GT is having transplanted into it.
First off Houston we have a problem...
That isn't being used now... This is going on instead.Forced Performance T3/T4 50 trim, 63 AR exhaust Hsg, Stage 5 exhaust wheel
Working on the crossover
Working on the downpipe
Some of the exhaust
More to come
Last edited by dgzfiero on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

Here are some IC pics
One cool chair
Some of the piping
Intercooler mounted in front of motor not sure how well its going to work but Andrei thinks it'll work
Room for the oil filter not quite sure how to get to it. I think I might be an expert at removing the IC by next year lol
Going to the motor
Going to the IC
Still more
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

Some other pics
The TiAl
Going to the throttlebody
Another put together pic.
The catback system
Exhaust getting mounted
Crappy pic of the exhaust didn't think to get one of it outside :lamer:
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

The exhaust was originally going to be this and the original tips. But there wasn't enough room between the trunk and the motor & tranny. They ended up with the 14" magnaflows. So much for the sleeper look.
A welding pic
The new turbo setup was made by abel racing in MWC. They modded the Dennis LaGrua/KFG crossover.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Your welding > My welding

But a few critiques if you will. First, the wastegate. Nice unit by the way, I'm using the same. But it only gets exhaust flow from one bank of cylinders. I'm not sure of the exact problems with this, I assume it has to do with the back pressure difference between the two banks, but at any rate, I've heard it's a bad idea. I know the early 3800 GTP turbo kits did this, but it provided very unstable boost.

Second, the wastegate entry back into the exhaust. It not only enters at a direct T into the pipe, but it enters at just 3-4" from the turbine outlet, and they are supposed to be at least 18" from the turbine to minimize exhaust turbulence and stuff that impedes flow.

I'd suggest relocating the wastegate to the Y feeding the turbine, so it feeds nearly equally from both banks, and running the wastegate dump pipe parallel to the exhaust for over 18", then smoothly Y it with the exhaust. Exhaust flow has a huge affect on turbo cars, and any flow disturbances make you're power, spool time, lag, everything pay.

Good luck, you should have good results given the quality components you're using. If you don't mind, a pick of my Y-pipe (Wastegate dump not made yet). Image
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

Abel Racing done all the work shown here. About all I can do is point at a welding machine and say "welder". I just threw money at them and took the pics. As for the rest I can ask them about it the next time I stop at their shop.
. Andrei and JR have talked to me about redoing the crossover and the downpipe when the motor gets broke in and more boost put on it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The two parts I liked :thumbleft:

The crossover, while using small pipes, looks like it flows well and is overall pretty nice IMHO. Same goes for the downpipe.

But if they do that, that's the perfect time to redo the wastegate feed and the wastegate dump.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

Swap looks great so far :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Looks good.

Questiion, Whats the size of your downpipe? looks like 2.25. I would go with at least 2.5 and would recommend 3 inch. It appears you have room for a 3 inch downpipe and would probably pick up 20-30 hp over a 2.25 or 2.5 inch downpipe on the same amount of boost.

That 3.4 is going to want to breath. Hondas with turbos run 3 inch and they have small motors. 3 inch is good up to 600 hp not to mention better boost response.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Looks good.

Questiion, Whats the size of your downpipe? looks like 2.25. I would go with at least 2.5 and would recommend 3 inch. It appears you have room for a 3 inch downpipe and would probably pick up 20-30 hp over a 2.25 or 2.5 inch downpipe on the same amount of boost.

That 3.4 is going to want to breath. Hondas with turbos run 3 inch and they have small motors. 3 inch is good up to 600 hp not to mention better boost response.
I agree. While you're doing good, there's parts that are easy to fix, and will net you a lot more power and response, with no downside other than the time and cost of redoing them.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

going to agree with both of them.
There is a noticeable gain when the exhaust is done right on a turbo car. my 1G DSM had a ton of upgrades but was running 2.25" downpipe and a 2.50 catback exhaust when i got it. I went to a complete 3" exhaust and i could feel the difference!

Also i may be retarded, but i dont believe i seen a B.O.V.?
I would suggest putting it as close to the T.B. as possible...
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

No there ain't a bov yet. That will be addressed when I start upping the boost after the motor gets broke in. Its got the weakest spring you can get on the wastegate. The shop that put the turbo on says it'll work for now with what I got. The downpipe is 2 1/2" The crossover set up was for a much smaller turbo, the 45 V1 that KFG/ Dennis used to sell.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Dood, sweet. Andrei Tig welded my TT IROC's aluminum IC pipes for me when I was still in OK, and that's where I got the car N/A baseline dyno'd. They do good work.
What's his email? I lost it but told him I'd send some pics when the TT setup was installed. If you mention the car and that I also have a 2G AWD Talon he should still remember me, actually so should JR.

I may end up with this built 3.4pr that I have lightly boosted eventually, if it does end up going in an 88. 6 psi would still be quite fun with a cam and ported heads. Then I finally wouldn't want an MR2 turbo anymore. :)
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I love the y-pipe, also, those look like FOCOA ceramic coated headers, is that what you're using?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

They are teh Fiero store sprint manifolds same as I am using.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

You've gone mad with power Doug. I like it.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

Waiting on a new chip. It runs with the stock chip and map sensor but not the chip and 2bar sensor that came with the kit. It bogs down and stumbles :scratch:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Call Ryan at sinister performance. he did my chip and it worked out real well. He did mine for 24 lb injectors

I also ran my car with no chip and the stock map sensor. It drove fine. Ran lean but ran fine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Any updates on this?
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

Not much new. Been sending Ryan some aldl scans, it has some IAC numbers higher than what Ryan likes to see. So I've cleaned it but it really wasn't dirty or carboned up. I am gonna send him some new data tomorrow.