Turbo 3.4pr

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

dgzfiero
Live from Ard's Cricket Ranch

Post by dgzfiero »

The latest update. Greddy bov installed back at the beginning of December, just in front of the TB by Abel Racing.

Now the good stuff. Piston #1 90 psi. This sparkplug kept staying wet.
Piston #5 150 psi. This sparkplug looked good.
The backside and #3 all had 150 i think psi also. All these plugs looked good also. I am going tto put it back together so I don't lose any parts and tow it out to a buddys house. He has a lift(and a heated garage) to drop the cradle. I also got to get the transmision redone 4t440. It is at 1900 at 70. I want it around 2300 if possible.
I got some scans for Ryan before it blew up. He didn't like my IAC numbers. So I recleaned it and reset it also. It broke before I could get any new ones. It sucks breaking it before I even get on it once.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

damn that sucks. what happened?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

no clue how you could get 150 psi compression with the piston that looks like that. Unless you got the pics backwards with the descriptions.

One ringland toast, and one piston cracked in themiddle.

Detonation baby!
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

The pictures are in the right order.
I expected #1 to look like #5. #1 was the only dead cylinder on it when I'd pull a plugwire off with it running. When I was coming home from Abel, I got off of 240 I let off the gas and there was no traffic coming, So I got back in the gas, thats when the motor turned into a paintshaker with a can full of marbles. The detonation thing is a bitch.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

Camera was at wrong setting so they're kinda small.
Some updates,couldn't get it to my buddies shop as he was down for back surgery. So it is being worked on it in my garage. Got the pistons, out thought I would be able to just put some new ones on...
Remember these guys, 1 and 5...
they have a friend, # 6 piston doesn't look too bad
The good stuff #1 rod
and #6 rod
The bottom of #1
Looking for some forged rods now.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Stock rods ARE forged.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

What'd you do, hydrolock it? I dont think detonation can bend forged rods like that.
FormulaGT

Post by FormulaGT »

HOLY SHIT MAN FUCK!!!!!!!

What in the HELL did you do to this thing that you AINT telling us?!?!

God damn man :nono:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Whoa dude, calm down!
FormulaGT

Post by FormulaGT »

:rotflmao:

......sorry 'bout that......

...AHEM...

:lurk:
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Man, you 0wn3d that bitch hard. The bent rods are really crazy. What'd you do, get a boost spike of like 30 lbs or something? :la:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

wow.. thats impressive. time to upgrade some parts and pump more power out of it.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

I guess I should of said aftermarket rods.
The oil was clean no water anyways, the coolant was clean. The only thing I can think that would be the cause would be the running it without the BOV even if it wasn't turning too many rpm's it was still too much for it.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Bent rods are a good sign of preignition. I'm very surprised they went instead of the pistons though. Either you have extra HD pistons, or extra weak rods.

What were you running? It sounds like everything was wrong.

Next time - run plugs a couple ranges cooler than stock. Use a wideband to make sure you're running OK AFR wise. If you were using the stock fiero computer - ditch that shit! They can't handle boost safely, IMHO. The 2 bar patch is just a patch.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

I got a little bit done this weekend. 5 new pistons and rods are in. Broke a ring trying to get one of the pistons in. So I gotta wait for a new set of rings for that piston. Looking at another engine computer, maybe megasquirt. The pistons and rods were 3.4 camaro stuff.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

dgzfiero wrote:The only thing I can think that would be the cause would be the running it without the BOV even if it wasn't turning too many rpm's it was still too much for it.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but that wasn't the cause.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

Got it running again. Only had one oil leak, the distributor. Apparently you can only use the o-ring one time. Timing is set at 10 btc. Now to get it up to AbelRacing for some computer work without blowing it up.
It took a month to get a set of rings for one .020 over piston :cussing: . Finally got the last piston in and no exhaust gaskets. They took 2 weeks to get in :angry: Damn flyover state.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What computer? 7730 and $58 code should work for you...
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

It's got the stock 7170 comp. and a 2 bar map sensor with a Dennis Lagrua chip. The 7730 is the one that Sinister made work isn't it?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have a stock 88 fiero computer and am using a sinister chip with 24lb injectors. its working good for me. 7730 is an upgrade, but not a necessity to have a good running turbo.