CTS-V

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Well, I just found out earlier today that it's totalled. Now I just have to wait and see how much I'll get for it.

And the search for another begins...
So...How can I go about getting it?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You should look at buying it back from the insurance company and parting it out.

You already know what parts I want :thumbleft:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I should know tomorrow what they offer for the car and what the buyback price is.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well let me know how much they want. I would drive out and pick it up, either buying off you or them.

Don't worry Cryzone, I don't want any of the parts you do.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
whipped

Post by whipped »

Umm... some guy's pissing on your car... are you going to take that?

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Is it an LS2 or LS6?

I'm halfway looking for a CTS-V or GTO pullout w/ T56 for a 260Z...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

They had the LS6
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

It is an LS2, the only car the LS6 was ever used in was the C5 Z06.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

wrong

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My mistake, seems in 04 and 05 they were the LS6. Same difference :thumbleft:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The CTS-V originally had the LS6 and retained it for the first year the LS2 was in the GTO. I remember reading a comparison test which cited the CTS-V as having 5.7 litres and the GTO as having 6.0. I thought that was strange, but that's the way they did it.

The CTS-V's DID get the LS2 the next year... I just don't remember which year that was.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

04-05=LS6
06-07=LS2
09=LSA
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I don't understand why GM built the 6.0 LS2. What was wrong with the LS6 that they decided to design a whole new engine?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:I don't understand why GM built the 6.0 LS2. What was wrong with the LS6 that they decided to design a whole new engine?
The LS2 offered a more "usable" power range compared to the, at the time "exotic", 6500rpm Z06 motor. The LS2 idles smoother, has slightly better emissions, and more low end torque. And with its widespread use, it couldn't be quite so rash. Now having driven both, if anything I thought the LS2 was more raucous. But raucous in a good way, because that was one badass ride. Once 3,000 rolled along, and those mufflers opened up, the sound that Z51 Vette emitted was dominating.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The LS2 is evolutionary over the LS6, just like the LS6 was over the LS1.

The LS1 had LS1 heads and cam.
The LS6 385 had LS6 heads & cam (and LS6 block, but that was incorporated into LS1's immediately).
The LS6 405 had the same heads and even more cam.
The LS2 is an LS6 385 bored out to 6.0 litres. It's not a whole new engine, it's just a displacement increase. Since they were changing the block molds, they took that opportunity to incorporate a bunch of other changes they'd been wanting to do, like cam sensor location.
The LS3 is an LS2 bored a little bigger with the as cast LS7 heads (CNC ported on the LS7).
The LSA and LS9 are LS3's built for boost. They're the same engine, just in different states of tune.

The whole Gen III/IV line has been evolutionary... just evolving at a rapid pace.
I wish they put that sort of development into the Northstar. I read recently that development of the 5.0 DI Northstar follow-on has been canned. I'd like to know just what they're planning to plop into the premium V8 gap in a couple of years... The VVT Northstar is already behind the times.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The LS6 385 had LS6 heads & cam (and LS6 block, but that was incorporated into LS1's immediately)
Not quite, very few LS1s had the LS6 block. Not that it was much different than the LS1 block anyways. In 2002, a few of the LS1s rolled out with LS6 blocks, and if GM is GM, chances are they ran out of LS1 blocks, thus used the LS6.
Will wrote:I'd like to know just what they're planning to plop into the premium V8 gap in a couple of years... The VVT Northstar is already behind the times.
I think the LSX would be right at home. People don't seem to mind the CTS-V too much. Just move the LS4 into the Caddy. Same horsepower as the N*, and plenty more if need-be, and probably better on gas mileage with the DoD.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I read recently that development of the 5.0 DI Northstar follow-on has been canned. I'd like to know just what they're planning to plop into the premium V8 gap in a couple of years... The VVT Northstar is already behind the times.
The premium V8 is dead. Everything V8 will be LSX........ assuming they even stay V8's, which at this point is even in question.
S8n

Post by S8n »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:

The LSA and LS9 are LS3's built for boost. They're the same engine, just in different states of tune.
The Caddy actually has the 1900 series huffer while the 'vette has the 2300 series, if you count that as being part of the engine.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

whipped wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I read recently that development of the 5.0 DI Northstar follow-on has been canned. I'd like to know just what they're planning to plop into the premium V8 gap in a couple of years... The VVT Northstar is already behind the times.
The premium V8 is dead. Everything V8 will be LSX........ assuming they even stay V8's, which at this point is even in question.

I think there will always be a market for big engines. They'll just become more expensive to own, which will actually serve to underscore the need for a premium engine.

If Cadillac is gunning for BMW, then they need a lot of snob appeal. I read a forum topic elsewhere in which a poster was actually bashing the CTS-V as being somehow inferior because it had a "Chevrolet" engine (LS2). He thought that the car would be better with the SC Northstar, despite the fact that said engine would load about another 100-150 lbs over the nose of the car...
...which ended up happening anyway with the LSA.
S8n wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:

The Caddy actually has the 1900 series huffer while the 'vette has the 2300 series, if you count that as being part of the engine.
So they put a 1.5 litre blower on a 3.8 V6 that makes 260 HP, and a 1.9 blower on a 6.2 V8 that makes 550 HP? That's crazy. I wonder if that was a money-saving effort...
S8n

Post by S8n »

The Caddy blower is alot more efficient than the old 1.5 L. I'd venture to say at least 50%. The caddy is 33% better than the ones used on the Lightnings and Cobras.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls