CTS-V

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

They STILL haven't gotten my damn car back to me. The insurance company, (USAA) despite all the good stories I've heard about them, is really pissing me off. It's been about a month now and it's not completely resolved. My loan has been paid off and I've received a check for the remainder, but no V.

On a better note, I think I'm about to buy a Mallett V. Here's an article on it:
(08:30 May 31, 2004)
M5-Killer: The Mallett Cadillac CTS-V
By BOB GRITZINGER
From the exterior, little distinguishes the Mallett from the standard silver CTS-V.

MALLETT CADILLAC CTS-V
ON SALE: Now
BASE PRICE: $66,495 (including $16,500 Mallett performance package)
POWERTRAIN: 5.7-liter, 471-hp, 433-lb-ft V8; rwd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3890 pounds
0 TO 60 MPH: 4.3 seconds (mfr.)

This speaks volumes: as we sit idling at a rural intersection waiting for traffic to clear for our Cadillac CTS-V, we can't help but notice a teenage boy all but ejecting himself from a passing school bus window, pumping his arms to get our attention. When, we ask, was the last time anyone under 20-hell, anyone under 50-really noticed anything with a Cadillac crest on its grille?

Times have changed. Cadillacs, even Cadillac sedans, are cool again, and worthy of attention, acclamation and, yes, even tuning. While Cadillac is responsible for laying the foundation for this renaissance with its hip-hop-friendly Escalades, Corvette-based XLRs and Nürburgring-bred CTS sedans, we have to admit that the car provoking the grinning middle-schooler's double thumbs-up is no garden-variety CTS, or even an ordinary CTS-V. This rumbling, low-slung, black-lacquered beast is the 2004 Mallett CTS-V, a 471-hp version of the Corvette-powered performance CTS-V now on sale at your Cadillac dealer.

Picking up where GM engineers leave off with the CTS-V, Mallett reworks the 5.7-liter LS6 V8 heads with custom ports and adds a special cam and valve springs with lightweight spring retainers. A performance stainless-steel exhaust system completes the modifications that boost the horsepower by 71 over the 400-hp stock CTS-V; torque increases by 38 to 433 lb-ft at 4600 rpm.

Suspension modifications are limited to beefier front and rear antiroll bars and a three-quarter-inch-lower ride height, a tribute to the base car's already strong platform. Steering is enhanced to allow more immediate response and a tighter turning radius, despite an upgrade from standard 18-inch CTS-V tires to wider 19-inch wheels and tires (though at lock the tires sometimes lightly scrub the wheel wells).

Mallett's billet short shifter improves on the already competent shifter in the CTS-V, providing noticeably more precise control over the Tremac T56 six- speed gearbox.

The car's large stock brake rotors (13.9-inch fronts, 14.3-inch rears) are slotted and then the rotors and pads, along with the clutch plate and clutch disc, are cryogenically treated (read: frozen) to minus 300 degrees Fahrenheit, not once but twice, in a process traditionally used to harden military artillery barrels. Owner Chuck Mallett says the treatment improves brake and clutch response and increases service life, but he and Mallett engineer Dave Sarafian admit they're really not sure what the process does to the treated parts.

"It's a black art," says Sarafian.

Mallett badging, understated but evident, adorns the car's fenders, decklid and wheel centers; inside, seat headrests get Mallett embroidery, and each car comes with a Mallett serial number plaque and aluminum shifter ring. Mallett proudly notes his "serialized" conversion cars are built to a high enough standard that they receive a separate listing in NADA appraisal guides-some comfort to those spending big bucks on conversions with no sense of how much the car will be worth a few years down the road. Mallett also warranties his conversions for two years or 24,000 miles.

Is it all worth the $66,495 a Mallett-prepped CTS will set you back? After putting a few hundred miles on a CTS-V, followed by some street and track time in the Mallett CTS-V, we agree with that enthusiastic, arm-waving teenager. As much as we like what Cadillac has done with its performance CTS-V-which is good enough to draw stoplight dares from (gasp!) BMW M5 owners-this Mallett-tuned model would rise to that challenge even more. At 3890 pounds and 471 hp, the Mallett CTS-V's power-to-weight ratio takes on all comers, working out to 8.3 pounds per hp, which outdoes the C5 Corvette (9.2 pounds per hp), Mercedes E55 AMG (8.5 pounds) and-you guessed it-the M5 (10.2 pounds). On paper, the Mallett CTS-V's 4.3-second 0-to-60-mph time would readily dispatch the M5s of the world, but is it really that good?

Mallett thinks so-and his pedigree supports his assertion. The longtime Corvette tuner, whose Berea, Ohio, shop is lined with race-tuned Vettes, was champing at the bit two years ago to help develop the V version of the CTS. Mallett's shop worked on powertrain bits for the V, but Mallett didn't stop there. "I love the Cadillac program-it's the first time you have a four-door domestic sedan that runs like a sports car. It's a badassed Cadillac, that's all there is to it."

Running the racetrack at nearby Nelson Ledges (quickly, while a cycle racing clinic is on a lunch break), we find the Mallett CTS-V offers considerably more punch than the standard CTS-V, which itself is no slouch. We ran the car hard in "competitive driving mode," which shuts down all but the fail-safe stability and yaw controls, and found it easy to handle, not the major handful we expected based on experience in other top-end tuner models. The car's power is matched by its almost perfectly neutral handling. Steering is straight, true and responsive, yet without any sense of twitching and tramming we might expect with the optional extra-wide 275/35-19 Michelin Pilot Sport tires combined with super-sensitive steering. The beefy four-pot Brembos on the standard CTS-V are bled for maximum pedal response and it shows when immediate stopping power is demanded. But like the steering, the brakes aren't overly touchy in regular use.

Comparisons are hard to come by, but here is one that makes sense, not so much as a direct comparison between cars of different caliber, but at least as a way to understand CTS degrees of separation: Audi A6, S6 and RS6. While the base CTS is no A6 fighter, and the CTS-V would be hard-pressed to woo an S6 buyer, like the RS6 the Mallett CTS-V sits atop the heap, a refined rocket ship ready to run a racetrack one day and deal with the daily commute the next. No need to don your fire-retardant suit and driving shoes or strap on your kidney belt for every tour of duty; this super-tuned V is just as conducive to suit, tie and briefcase.

For those who need even more, Mallett offers a range of upgrades, including 6.1-liter and 7.0-liter V8 setups (515 and 580 hp, respectively) with billet cranks, rods and forged pistons. Still not enough? Building on those engines, Mallett adds turbos that push output to 615 hp for the 6.1-liter engine and up to 750 hp for the 7.0-liter. If you're looking at those options, be ready to add another $30,000 to your check made out to Mallett.

Other options include Mallett/Penske nonadjustable or double-adjustable custom shock absorbers, coilover suspension setups, competition brakes (with 14-inch front rotors), one- or three-piece forged aluminum wheels, performance tires, performance exhaust systems and body mods (front splitter, fender flares, custom hood and decklid, spoiler).

We've heard reports out of Germany that Cadillac performance engineers are running the 'Ring, readying their own CTS-V "Plus," a supercharged 480-hp car aimed squarely at the next-generation 500-hp M5 due next year as an '06 model. But for those who want a domestic M5-tamer today, the Mallett CTS-V package is available and can be ordered through Mallett (mallettcars.com) or through select Cadillac dealers nationwide.

Yeah, it will cut into your lunch money, but it will have you grinning like a school kid in no time.
Thoughts?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I say go for it, thats a bad ass car.
Unsafe At Any Speed

You know anyone in Cleveland? That's where it's at.
Unsafe At Any Speed

The car I'm looking at has the basic Mallett package along with Mallett add-ons: 19" Mallett forged wheels, LT headers, rear spoiler, larger spec cam

Also has blacked out tails, back-ups, markers, 5% tint all around and ZO6 FRCs. If I get it, I'll prolly finish the theme and powedercoat the grills black.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You mean like someone in cleveland to go look at the car for you? Yeah I might.
Unsafe At Any Speed

CincinnatiFiero wrote:You mean like someone in cleveland to go look at the car for you? Yeah I might.
Yeah, basically.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I also have USAA and I've also heard only good things about them... it's interesting that you're having issues.
Unsafe At Any Speed

It does seem wierd. I use them for everything else too and that's all been great. Most people I hear for insurance have things settled in a week or less. For me, I called it in in the morning, the guy said my agent would contact me in 24-48 hours. 3 days later, nothing. I call and talk to somebody else. The trend continues and I end up having to call everytime and over the whole process have only talked to or heard from my actual agent twice. It ends up taking like two weeks for an adjuster to get sent out. In the meantime a lein auction gets scheduled for my car by the tow company. I get one message from my agent telling me the total loss department will be getting ahold of me soon. This is after they've already called me (they assume I already know it's totalled. news to me). Another few days passes before I get the figures and at that point they tell me I only get seven days more on the rental. I don't even get the check from them until like two days before I have to return the rental. Gives me a lot of time to find a replacement. And here I am today, 4 weeks later and it still hasn't been resolved. I've called 3-4 times about getting the car released back to me and my calls haven't been returned. I have horrible luck it seems.
S8n

Post by S8n »

Skip the Mallett, do the work yourself. You could build up the motor out of the wrecked one and then swap it over to the new one. Same with the tranny and diff. Your paying alot there for the name and non-performance stuff. Just my .02
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, I know a lot of that money is for the name. There's no way I would spend $25k for the mods this car I'm looking at has (base Mallett price plus the add-ons). This car has 33,000 miles less than mine did and is a year newer as well though (more warranty and no stupid-looking on-star antenna on the rear window).
Then I considered the cost to get the same performance on a stock V. The headers, cats, exhaust alone would set me back over $2000 (well, in a way. I already have them, but could sell them). Not to mention the Mallett comes with upgraded shocks, sways, wheels and other parts as well.
I do have some uncertainty, that's for sure. One thing that is for sure is that here I am a month later REALLY missing my V.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I've seen quite a few Mallett Corvettes in person. Even on base packages, they do an outstanding job. On their complete workovers, they leave no bolt unturned. Bodywork is excellent, graphics are good too. Top quality stuff.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I do like that this isn't just any pre-modded car. The quality should be there for sure. Also, NADA even recognizes the conversion in there options (the paperwork didn't go through this quarter so it's not up there now). Granted their value is way too high (over $60k), but it is somewhat reassuring.

Sounds kind of like I'm just trying to talk myself into the Mallett.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well, here I was pretty sure I'd be buying the Mallett this week, but I found out yesterday somebody else put a deposit down on the car and will be picking it up next week. The search continues...

I'm thinking now about just getting a V that might not be as nice for around $24-25k and getting a 2g AWD DSM for around $6k.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Do you have a family or anything? Why not get a G35 or something a little more sporty?

If I had my way, I'd be driving an 04 STI instead of my CTS. Best year of STI in terms of looks.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

So....Can we buy the old V yet?

:thumbleft:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Well, here I was pretty sure I'd be buying the Mallett this week, but I found out yesterday somebody else put a deposit down on the car and will be picking it up next week. The search continues...

I'm thinking now about just getting a V that might not be as nice for around $24-25k and getting a 2g AWD DSM for around $6k.
Do you want the DSM just to go fast? Why not a 1G?
Unsafe At Any Speed

crzyone wrote:Do you have a family or anything? Why not get a G35 or something a little more sporty?

If I had my way, I'd be driving an 04 STI instead of my CTS. Best year of STI in terms of looks.
Yeah, I've thought of going with something different, but I really like what the V has to offer. It has the luxury 4-door appeal but also the performance for the money. As lame as it sounds, I have the Fiero for the sporty 2-seater thing. Also, my buddy has a G35 and honestly overall I prefer the V (looks, performance, everything). Any other suggestions in that price range?

Edit: I do really like the (relative) exclusivity of the V.
Unsafe At Any Speed

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Well, here I was pretty sure I'd be buying the Mallett this week, but I found out yesterday somebody else put a deposit down on the car and will be picking it up next week. The search continues...

Do you want the DSM just to go fast? Why not a 1G?
I have wanted one for awhile mainly for the 'go fast' but I figure it will be my 'bad weather' car as well, so I figured I'd go with the 2g for the looks too.
S8n

Post by S8n »

Here's one you should use as a template: http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/pr ... php?car=29
They do some killer stuff.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Unsafe At Any Speed

That Procharged V is sick. Working on getting my V back up here. Didn't plan on letting this out, but I'm kinda buzzed... Bought the car back for about $2600. Right now, I think I want to just keep the LS6, rear diff, and a few other parts and part out the rest.