IMSA GT Build Thread

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

Long time no post. Been having some minor heart issues so the build slowed down. Here is one major update.
Today, I continued blending the parts together to give it that seamless look. Here is a look at the front fender where it connects to the front bumper. I really want this car to be a seamless as possible.....

I am also working on the final fit of the rear tail light assembly and also the decklid. Every part of the rear end ( decklid, latches, tailights, both fender caps ) have to be adjusted to make everything line up correctly.

Alright, the driver side of the car and the rear is ready for primer. I decided to do a little minor change. Originally, I was going to use a Dodge Viper gas cap but it looked too large for the car. I also wanted to use the stock gas filler assembly but it was too plain and sticks out like a sore thumb. Since I really want smooth lines especially since the logos are being painted on the car, I want as few bumps on the car as possible. I decided to french in the gas cap so it is flush with the fender. The first thing I did was to grind away the beauty ring that rests on the fender. I then ground a taper on the assembly to make it like a wedge. It was then installed with bonding adhesive.

After that was dry, I them began to fill in any voids and shape the opening with fiberglass filler.

When that dry, I sanded and feathered the edges and this time, used a spray paint primer just to see how it looks. It will need to be filled in a little more since I don't want any gap showing and I also modified the hinge assembly so that the door could be brought outwards about 1/8" to keep it flush with the body. I think it will look very clean once all the fine tuning is done.

One last thing, since I am nearing paint, I decided to cut all of my templates for paint and give them a test fit for looks

The hood turned out good after the white went on. Here is a pic after wet sanding and no clearcoat.

The layout of the vinyl stencils.

Here we go with the paint. The first thing that I did was redo the sizes of the masking. I didn't think they were proportionate with the original Huffaker. I started by measuring all the locations of the masking vinyl and marking the areas with a pencil. I wanted everything to be as straight and centered as possible. The first thing I did was set the masking for the Goodwrench logo and use several coats of paint with my airbrush.

After that dried, the masking was removed and then I set the masking for the Performance Parts logo and airbrushed it in red

Once that dried, I removed the masking and here is the result.

The next step was the GM logo. This was the biggest pain in the ass to line up and make even with the hood lines.

And of course the cool dude doing the work

After that came the number 55 at the top of the hood.

And the final product minus the clearcoat.

Alright....the planning continues. I am at a no-turning-back stage with these door skins. My plan is to use Dzus fasteners to hold the door panels in place, rivet the lock mechanism plate to the door frame, remove the lip that hooks on to the top of the door window strip, cut away part of the area where the door handle is installed so the door skin can be unhooked from it, fill in the stock mirror location, add aftermarket mirrors to the blank stationary plate at the front of the windows.

Here is the door sill with the marking points for the fasteners. I may or may not need the top center one. I also am keeping the 4 that are under the door.

Here is the rear of the skin with the area marked for removal

I spent a little over an hour modifying the door handle and molding. The reason that I am doing this is because of the removable door skin. I have to be able to take it off without disturbing the lock assembly.

This is what the stock door and molding looks like

Here is the modification to the door skin as well as the molding to allow the door handle to slide out from under the skin

The piece that was cut out was used behind the door handle. That way, I am assured a nice fit that is level with the door skin.

And finally, I riveted the lock assembly in place since it normally is attached to the door skin.

For those wondering....I know the handle looks like crap, the molding is knicked in spots but for those of you who know my work, you know that everything will look brand new when I'm done.

I temporarily installed the molding and put down some masking tape. The molding will be red, the line where the masking tape sits will be silver and the rest will follow the race car scheme.

Ok.....first off, I just wanted to shed some light on a cheap but incredibly useful item. Many auto stores have bar stools for 10-20 bucks. If you get one and either add a couple of 2x4's or a board, you will have a great turntable to spin the item as you are painting it. There is nothing worst than having to walk around the item you are painting risking dust or fuzz from your clothes becoming part of the paint job. I rather stand in one spot and turn my work.

With that said, I gave the molding a 4th coat of clear

I then masked off the door at the line where the silver will start and sprayed the black basecoat

After that had set for a while, I masked the black and shot the white on the top of the door

I ran a little test fit of the molding just to make sure I liked the color of red I used. The part looks dull because I use an intercoat clear at certain points......a necessity for airbrushing so you don't "wipe off" your airbrush work. Even though the main colors are not airbrushed, I just use intercoat out of habit.

The paint has to dry completely before I can mask the black and spray the silver stripe as well as the silver "55" and the white "Huffaker" logo. Here is the silver that I am using. It really should look great next to the black.

So today, I wetsanded the door and layed the silver stripe under the molding and the "Huffaker" logo in white

The toughest decision was on the "55". The racecar has the numbers cut so they follow the molding line and are staggered at the bottom. For me, I really would rather have the numbers level with the bottom of the door so I layed the vinyl at that point.

Ready for the silver

The camera flash actually made the silver look white but trust me, it is a bright silver. Next step is wetsanding and clearcoat.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Looking awesome man. Keep up the good work.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

you do far too nice a work to be bothering with a fiero!!!

it's funny , this guy is doing work 100 times better then V8Archie in his garage by himself...
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yes, this is excellent work. Very impressive. You're really going for the whole thing and not cutting corners.

What ARE you doing in Fieros? :thumbleft:
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Yes, this is excellent work. Very impressive. You're really going for the whole thing and not cutting corners.

What ARE you doing in Fieros? :thumbleft:
same could be said about you and a few others
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Your build is why I joined RFT, and while I decided to stay for different reasons, I must say I am glad you keep posting here. AWESOME build.
drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

Wow....I stopped getting emails when people reply to my thread. Sorry about not replying to you guys and thank you for all the nice comments about my work.

Alright.....after a long battle with some health issues, I am now 98% better and hopefully can continue work on this car. I decided to do a decklid vent modification using a stock 84 grille. The first issue with the 84 grille is that is is designed to bolt on to the decklid. I decided to cut the grille to a smaller size and blend it into the decklid. The first thing was to measure the side vent panels and mark lines on the decklid where the actual louver part of the vents start and end.

The next thing that I did was place the 84 grille on top of the lid just to get an idea of where I want the opening to be.

I then trimmed the grille to size

The next thing was to cut out the decklid skin where I had made my lines.

And finally, the fitted product before I bond it to the sub-structure.

If you notice the sub-structure through the grille, it will be boxed in, painted black, and a fine black mesh will be installed under the grille by the time I am finished. Since the decklid will be entirely white, a black mesh will look great and hide the sub-structure of the decklid.
CincinnatiFiero

I was thinking about your build last night, was about to PM. Glad you are better. Keep the build going. Refresh my memory, is this car getting a 3800 n/a?
drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I was thinking about your build last night, was about to PM. Glad you are better. Keep the build going. Refresh my memory, is this car getting a 3800 n/a?
That is what I will be going for later on but since I live in California, I have to deal with the smog bullshit and West Coast Fieros is the main vendor who does legal engine swaps. The problem is that I hear nothing but negative things about those guys. The last thing I need is to spend this much time building a car to have them hack it up. I may just add a turbo to the stock 6cyl for a while.
CincinnatiFiero

3.4l? I mean at least get some extra oomph.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Turbo won't be smog legal either. Is the car a stick or an auto? Unfortunately, IMO, autos have a lot more options in this state that manuals.
<Insert Sig Here>
CincinnatiFiero

Smog legal 3800 is a lot easier with an auto so is N*. I thought some people managed to fanagle smog legal sticks.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Long story short, I've heard rumors of fanagled sticks, but the only one's I've ever actually seen are cars with Specialty Constructed Vehicle permits. They only give out 500 per year for the entire state and you have to prove that your car is substantially altered from its original design. Just an engine swap won't cut it.

On the more real world side, it all depends on how sharp your smog guy is. People have snuck things past the smog guys before, but considering how hard the state is trying to crack down on that, a lot of places will just fail you if its even a little suspicious. I've heard that if you jump through a lot of hoops and work with a smog ref and the state all the way through the process, it's possible to get an odd swap through, but it's a ton of work.
<Insert Sig Here>
drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

That is why I probably will just stay with the stock V6. If I do a major engine transplant, I will make sure that the car is just for show and not for the street. It really is not worth the hassle here in California.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I don't see how a stick supercharged 3800 or stick Northstar could EVER be legal in CA because those engines were never offered with manual transmissions from the factory.
A manual naturally aspirated 3800 is doable because those engines came with 5 speeds in Camaros/Firebirds.
A manual 3.4 TDC is doable (Steven & Blueshift have both done it) because those engines were offered with sticks in 91-93.

The real whacky shit is that you can take an LT1 or LS1, which had 6 speeds in original installation that turned 1800 RPM at 80 and install them in Fieros with 5 speeds that turn 3000 RPM at 80 and it's all good...
CincinnatiFiero

Whatever OHIO FTW! no emissions anymore.
drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

I primed the decklid today. Here is a closeup of the vent mod.

And here is the decklid. I am starting on the white right now and may post more later tonight or tomorrow.

Just waiting for the white basecoat to dry. Next are the airbrushed logos. The vent mod looks nice now that it has some color.

I still had time tonight so I just finished the GM logo. Measured and laid out the decal...

Masked it for paint

And sprayed the blue.....after which I removed the mask

And then the decal stencil once the paint had set up.

Tomorrow, the rest of the logos on the decklid will be painted.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Awesome.

I never noticed you lived in San Mateo. I drive through there a lot on the way to Sonoma. You'll have to let me come check it out sometime ;-)
drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

Tonight, I wetsanded my new quarter windows from Ken Hines.....yes I ruined a brand new set. I decided to paint these a solid gloss black and them do the "Pontiac Motorsports" logo on them. Here are the windows prepped:

And here are the windows with the basecoat of black:

That is it for the windows for tonight. Tomorrow, I will do the logo and clearcoat them.

On to the bigger stuff. I finished the decklid logos tonight and will probably clearcoat it tomorrow along with the quarter windows. Here are the final logos layed out:

And the logos after paint:

I'm using a wide angle lens so everything look bubbled but the logos are straight .
drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

The airbrushed quarter window logos. Here they are before the clearcoat goes on: